Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Perl/Array Sorting : Can someone please explain below code $h{$_}++ Post 303032307 by Tanu on Friday 15th of March 2019 05:38:28 AM
Old 03-15-2019
Perl/Array Sorting : Can someone please explain below code $h{$_}++

Code:
sub uniq {
    my %h;
    return grep { !$h{$_}++ } @_
}

The above code is to remove duplicates from array.

I am having hard time understanding below things (basically around highlighted code in bold)-

when was the value inserted in hash?
and are we only adding a key in Hash not values?
Code:
$h{$_}++

what "++" means here

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Sorting an associative array

Hi, When using sort on an associative array: foreach $key (sort(keys(%opalfabet))){ $value = $opalfabet{$key}; $result .= $value; } How does it handle double values? It seems to me that it removes them, is that true? If so, is there a way to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl explain syntax !!!

hi all i was going through some perl code i came across this line and i am not getting what is exactly going on .. $$this{localtion} = GetName->GetVarName("EXE_DIR") ; what is the red part doing in above code (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl array matching between area code and no.

Hi Everyone, I have: my @No=qw(032106 032630 0380 034010 035110 0354801111); my $str_No=join(';', @No); I have a string $strA="03263033", so in order to determine this $strA area code matches with @No, I can do: if ( (rindex($str_No,substr($strA,0,5))))== -1) ) { print "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting value frequency within an array

How is it possible to sort different nummeric values within an Array. But i don`t want the highest or the lowest. I need the most frequently occurring value. For examble: My Array has to following values = (200 404 404 500 404 404 404 200 404) The result should be 404 The values are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl array sorting

Hi All, I have an array in perl as @match = (201001,201002,201001,201002); I am trying to sort this array as @match = sort(@match); print "@match"; I dont see the output sorted any answers I also tried another way, but still the results are not sorted foreach my $match (sort { $a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdeepu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl?

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Sorting an String-Array

Hi, i have a txtfile with the format <Nr>tab<word>tab<other stuff>new line and i want to sort the <word>-colum with a perl script. My textfile: <Nr>tab<word>tab<other stuff>new line 6807 die ART.Acc.Sg.Fem 6426 der ART.Gen.Sg.Fem 2 die ART.Nom.Sg.Fem 87 auf APPR.-- 486 nicht PTKNEG.--... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckelede
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP on Perl array / sorting - trying to convert Korn Shell Script to Perl

Hi all, Not sure if this should be in the programming forum, but I believe it will get more response under the Shell Programming and Scripting FORUM. Am trying to write a customized df script in Perl and need some help with regards to using arrays and file handlers. At the moment am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you explain this perl command?

I am using this line of perl code to change the file format and remove ^M at the end of each line in files: perl -i -pe's/\r$//;' <name of file here> Can you explain to me what this code does, and translate it into bash/awk/sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Perl: Can someone please explain this code "sort { $a <=> $b } @unsorted"

@sorted = sort { $a <=> $b } @unsorted; I am having hard time understanding how this works? I know the output but interested to know the working. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)