Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Zabbix item for last line of a log file Post 303031970 by rbatte1 on Friday 8th of March 2019 08:11:46 AM
Old 03-08-2019
Got it at last!! It's quite convoluted, so why not share and see if someone else might benefit or suggest how to improve it:-
  1. Create the Zabbix item in a template for the file as type log and key logrt[/path/to/log] with a history of 1 day and a refresh of 3 seconds (don't want old logs and need it reasonably up to date without hammering the servers) The logrt key allows it to cope with logs that are rotated.
  2. Assign the template to the required hosts, although in my case the template was already on several servers so it appears in various places straight away.
  3. Wait a few minutes for the data to be picked up, ensuring that some new data is actually written to the log.
  4. Determine the Zabbix item number for the log file on the particular host I'm interested in
  5. Use a web-request to get the log file from the Zabbix server
  6. Get the first record (stored so newest is at the top)
  7. Drop the log reference number (first item, tab separated)
  8. Hey presto, I have the message that I can display.
Quite a palaver. I'm also not sure if we have bespoke tools that do things like working out the item number or if having a webserver that can share the log files is default.

I hope that this helps someone. Does anyone think I need to add more detail on each step?

Robin
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Infrastructure Monitoring

A Review of Zabbix - Zabbix Rules! (Part 1)

Tim Bass 03-20-2009 07:02 AM Source... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

A Review of Zabbix - Zabbix Rules! (Part 2)

Tim Bass 03-23-2009 03:45 PM Source... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file and stopping at first item found

Hello, I try to write a shell script that would list all files on a directory and stop when it finds the first item specified on a find or ls command. How can I tell to the find or ls command to stop when it finds the first ".doc" file for example ? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davchris
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each item from a formatted file

Hi, I have a file generated like this - 1. Fire SQL and store the formatted output in a temp file echo "select path, empid, age from emp_tbl" | /usr/sql emp_db 2 > count_file | grep vol > tempFile 2. The tempFile looks like this after the above statement /vol/emp1 0732 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print new item in file with symbol

Dear all, I have encountered some problem here. I prompt the user for input and store it into a data file, eg. key in name and marks so the data file will look like this andrew 80 ben 75 and the next input is carine 90. So the problem here is i want to print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: branred
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: Shell Script to read a Log file line by line and extract Info based on KEYWORDS matching

I have a LOG file which looks like this Import started at: Mon Jul 23 02:13:01 EDT 2012 Initialization completed in 2.146 seconds. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Import summary for Import item: PolicyInformation... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biztank
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies
TORRUS_MONITOR(8)						      torrus							 TORRUS_MONITOR(8)

NAME
monitor - Torrus Monitor. SYNOPSIS
torrus monitor --tree=TREENAME [options...] DESCRIPTION
This command starts the Monitor process for the tree TREENAME. By default it forks into a daemon, sets the log output file to /var/log/torrus/monitor.TREENAME.log, performs one monitoring cycle, and sleeps until the next cycle is scheduled. In daemon mode the log file can be reopened by sending it a SIGHUP signal. OPTIONS
--nodaemon Prevents the process from becoming a daemon and sets the log to STDERR. --runonce Instructs the script to run once and exit. Implies --nodaemon. --delay=N Makes the daemon sleep for N minutes before starting the first cycle. This would happen on the daemon startup and also after each configuration recompilation. For example, when monitor and collector start simultaneously, the collector needs some time to retrieve the data being monitored. --debug Sets the log level to debug. --verbose Sets the debug level to info. --help Displays a help message. FILES
/etc/torrus/conf/torrus-siteconfig.pl Torrus site configuration script. /var/log/torrus/monitor.TREENAME.log Monitor's log for the tree TREENAME. SEE ALSO
torrus(8) NOTES
See more documentation at Torrus home page: http://torrus.org AUTHOR
Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin@yahoo.com> torrus 2.03 2013-07-26 TORRUS_MONITOR(8)