Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to replace a string with pattern read from a file Post 303031959 by Jag02 on Friday 8th of March 2019 05:58:03 AM
Old 03-08-2019
Script to replace a string with pattern read from a file

I have two files blocks.txt and rules.txt. In blocks.txt i have the following entries
Code:
Linux1
Linux2
Linux3
Linux10

In rules.txt i have the lines where a filename pattern starts like
Code:
'blk-name.*'

I want to replace 'blk-name' with the names read from blocks.txt file
I tried with following code.But it replaces with "$blocks".Could anyone pl. help me correct this
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

for blocks in $(cat blocks.txt)
do
BlktoAdd=$blocks
cat rules.txt|while read line
do
sed -i 's/blk_name/$blocks/'
done
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character in a string pattern and save the change in same file

I am facing one problem, can any one please suggest me the command for the same in unix. I am using Ksh. I have a large file with the data that looks like below. "ROTO2-2007f","_US01","9/15/2007","9/21/2007",346492,"NICK, LCD WATCH"97,1,"NAPOLITJ ","BERGER,M Z & CO INC",0.01, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihir0011
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file and extract data by matching pattern

Hello, I have a file ( say file1) which has lines like below. xxxx:xxxx,yyyy,1234,efgh zzzz:zzzz,kkkk,pppp,1234,xxxx,uuuu,oooo dddd:dddd here the word before ":" ( ie: xxxx) is the file name and the string after : are also file names, but each file name separated by "," In case of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl- read search and replace string from the file

Dear all, I have a number of files and each file has two sections separated by a blank line. At the top section, I have lines which describes the values of the alphabetical characters, # s #; 0.123 # p #; 12.3 # d #; -2.33 # f #; 5.68 <blank line> sssssss spfdffff sdfffffff Now I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasharma
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from one file-Replace a pattern in another with the current one

Hi Friends, I have a text file like this cat main.txt I like this website cat website > new_website grep website > hello_website cat replace.txt hello unix apple Now, for each line read in 2.txt, I want the pattern "website" in 1.txt to be replaced with it. Basically, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file, and replace certain string with another string?

Hi all, the value in the following file is just an example. It could be a different value/network addresses. Here is my example of initial output in a file name net.txt Initial Output, net.txt The goal is to produce the following format which is to convert from CIDR to Netmask... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: type8code0
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and replace values in a script

Hi , I have a property file placed in folder /usr/opt/temp/aorc.prop which has values given below . I need to read this file content and replace the node with actual values in a shell script . Each time the script shall replace the node value from the poperty file and execute a cfsend command and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
10 Replies
wrjpgcom(1)							   User Commands						       wrjpgcom(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [-replace] [-comment text] [-cfile name] [filename] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG or JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG or JFIF file on the stan- dard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard does not actually define the intended function of COM blocks, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This enables you to add annotations, titles, index terms, and so on to your JPEG files, and later retrieve the COM blocks as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have many COM blocks in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text that you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks, but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -cfile name Read the text for a new COM block from the named file. -comment text Supply the text for a new COM block on the command line. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the JPEG file to which you want to add text comments. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
To add only one line of comment text, use the -comment option to provide the text on the command line. Specify the comment text within quotes, so that the text is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you specify neither the -comment nor the -cfile option, wrjpgcom reads the comment text from standard input. In such cases, you must supply an input image filename. You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB. Type an end-of-file indicator, usually Ctrl-D, to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom does not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore, you can use -replace -comment "" to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Adding a Short Comment to in.jpg to Produce out.jpg example% wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Example 2: Attaching a Long Comment Previously Stored in comment.txt example% wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or example% wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg In this example, 1000 is a number that is larger than the number of rows in the source file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWjpg | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) NOTES
This man page was originally written by the Independent JPEG Group. Updated by Breda McColgan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2004 wrjpgcom(1)