Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Format a date on additional column awk Post 303031801 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 6th of March 2019 03:18:44 AM
Old 03-06-2019
Expanding a little bit on what RudiC said ....

It looks like the file you are processing is partially in DOS text file format with some <carriage-return> <newline> character pair line separators instead of UNIX text file format <newline> single character line terminators. But, as RudiC said, we would expect that to happen on every line; not just the first and last.

Please confirm by running the command:
Code:
od -bc filename

where filename is the name of the input file you processed to get the output you showed us in post #7 in this thread.

To get rid of the <carriage-return>s in a file you can use:
Code:
tr -d '\r' < old_file > new_file

where old_file is the name of a file containing <carriage-return>s and new_file is the name of thee file that you want to contain the contents of old_file without the <carriage-return>s. If this is a common problem with input files you'll be processing, you can change the script I suggested before to be:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
tr -d '\r' < HB.txt | while IFS=, read -r date rest
do	printf '%s,%s,%(%a)T\n' "$date" "$rest" "$date"
done

or:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
while IFS=, read -r date rest
do	printf '%s,%s,%(%a)T\n' "$date" "$rest" "$date"
done < HB.txt | tr -d '\r'

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format Date in awk

I have an assignment in a Linux class I am taking. It has multiple scripts. Basicly when it runs it asks the user name and shows information about the user from the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files. The one I need help with is the one that reads the /etc/shadow file. I need to format the date into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kazulk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert the date format from mdy to ymd in column of file

The date format in the delimited file for one column '6/27/2011 12:00:00 AM' Is it possible o change it to '2011-06-27 12:00:00 AM' for all the records.. Thanks in advance..... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare column with date format

I have this code to compare columns 1 and 10 between file1 and file 2 and give me all records that match column 1 but dont match column 10 However column 10 is date format mm/dd/yy and awk cant read it and compare ...i tried awk < file1 -F~ '{print $10}' and it gave blank screen Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - change date format

I have below date format in a CSV file. (dd/mm/yyyy) Ex Input: 9/8/2013 Need to convert it into below format (yyyymmdd ) and redirect to new file. Ex Output: 20130809 How do I use awk here to change the format and if leading 0 (zero) is not then add it. Please help. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk convert date format

Could you tell me how to convert the following dates? If I have m/d/yyyy, I want to have 0m/0d/yyyy. I want my dates to always be 8 digits. In other words, I want a 0 inserted whenever the month or day is a single digit. My issue is first I need to use FS="," to get field $4 for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date column as yyyy/mm/dd format

Hi All, I have file like “April 10, 2013”,”raj” “April 29, 2013”,”raj1” Output : “2013/04/10”,”raj” “2013/04/29”,”raj1” Please help me how to do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the format of the date column in a flat file?

Hi, i have a flat file namely temp.txt with this data below ID|name|contact_date 101|Kay|2013-12-26 102|let|2013-12-26 I need to modify the date data in the flat file into MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS format let me know the code for this. Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies
Datum::Strip(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Datum::Strip(3pm)

NAME
Carp::Datum::Strip - strips most Carp::Datum calls lexically SYNOPSIS
use Carp::Datum::Strip qw(datum_strip); datum_strip("-", "-"); datum_strip($file, "$file.new", ".bak"); DESCRIPTION
This module exports a single routine, datum_strip(), whose purpose is to remove calls to "Carp::Datum" routines lexically. Because stripping is done lexically, there are some restrictions about what is actually supported. Unless the conventions documented in Carp::Datum are followed, stripping will be incorrect. The general guidelines are: o Do not use here documents or generalized quotes (qq) within assertion expression or tags. Write assertions using '' or "", as appropriate. o Assertions can be safely put on several lines, but must end with a semi-colon, outside any string. There are two calls that will never be stripped: VERIFY() and DTRACE(). The VERIFY() is meant to be preserved (or "DREQUIRE" would have been used). "DTRACE", when called, will be remapped dynamically to some "Log::Agent" routine, depending on the trace level. See Carp::Datum for details. INTERFACE
The interface of the datum_strip() routine is: "datum_strip" old_file, new_file, [ext] The old_file specifies the old file path, the one to be stripped. The stripped version will be written to new_file. If the optional third argument ext is given (e.g. ".bak"), then old_file will be renamed with the supplied extension, and new_file will be renamed old_file. Renaming only occurs if stripping was successful (i.e. the new file was correctly written to disk). The lowest nine "rwx" mode bits from old_file are preserved when creating new_file. Both old_file and new_file can be set to "-", in which case STDIN and STDOUT are used, respectively, and no renaming can occur, nor any mode bit propagation. Returns true on success, "undef" on error. AUTHORS
Christophe Dehaudt and Raphael Manfredi are the original authors. Send bug reports, hints, tips, suggestions to Dave Hoover at <squirrel@cpan.org>. SEE ALSO
Carp::Datum(3). perl v5.10.0 2006-04-13 Datum::Strip(3pm)