Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcard with xdotool
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Wildcard with xdotool Post 303031724 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 5th of March 2019 12:50:21 AM
Old 03-05-2019
I do not have access to an Ubuntu system. I do not have access to, nor do I have any desire to load, learn how to run, nor run xdotool when, as far as I know, I have no need to have or use xdotool (especially when you tell me that it doesn't work well).

I do, however, have over 45 years of experience using UNIX tools to solve all sorts of problems and I would love to help you learn how to extract the window ID number out of the output from an xdotool selectwindow or xdotool search --name "Error" command if you'll explain to me where the window ID number that you want appears in the output produced by those commands. Telling me that they only produce "simple numbers" without knowing how many simple numbers each of them produces nor which of those simple numbers is the one you want nor what separates those simple numbers in the output of those commands doesn't really tell me anything I can use to help you.

If you would actually show me the exact output produced by one of those commands and explain to me which of the simple numbers output by one or both of those programs is the one and only window ID that you want to use in a subsequent xdotool key --window "window_ID" command on that instance of that system, I'd be happy to help you learn how to do that. But, if you think it is my duty to buy an Ubuntu system, load xdotool on it, learn how to run xdotool and then explain how xdotool works to you; I'm sorry, but that is not my job, is not in my budget, and is not something I have any interest in doing.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-05-2019 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: Fix typo : s/search search/search/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard

what will the cmd below do? ls *.3 1 members mentions that to seek all permutations and combinations of the mp3 extension ill have to use curly braces, {} and not, . what then will do? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard

Hi, I have this code to search all "cif" files using wildcard for file in *.cif do grep "Uiso" $file | awk '{ print $3, $4, $5 }' > tet done I get this error "grep: *.cif: No such file or directory" Please where am I going wrong!!! Thank you in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: princessotes
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wildcard help

Can someone please explain the wildcards in this. How is this recursive? When I put this in my terminal it recursively displayed everything. ls .* * (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use wildcard * in if?

Hi, Can anyone help me how to use * in if statement. File contains below line1:a|b|c|Apple-RED| line2:c|d|e|Apple-Green| line3:f|g|h|Orange| I need to find line by line 4th field contains 'Apple' or not. Please help me at the earliest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard help!!

i have got heaps of files (.pdf, .txt and .doc) files in one folder, i am making a program in PERL that helps me find the files i want easier using shell wildcard, something like this!! print "Enter a pattern: (must be in )"; $input = <STDIN>; if (The input is in and valid wildcard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Wildcard

Hello, I apologize for asking what is probably a simple question but I have been unable to understand the other posts on the topic. I have a file that has the following several lines: ABC DEF GH:IJKLMNOP_QRS_TUV_11112012_ABCL5 ABC DEF GH:IJKLMNOP_QRS_TUV_11112013_ABCL4 ABC DEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MolecularToast
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in ls

Hi Experts, I want to use ls in the below form: ls -l *.{txt,TXT} (working fine) but when i am declaring a variable, VAR="*.{txt,TXT}" ls -l $VAR is not working. Please help. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
4 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Help with wildcard

CD_numb is AM017 this code: set the_Firstcom_CD to (do shell script "ls -d '/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/' ") & CD_numb gives me this: "/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/AM017" the item I am looking for is AM017Q. I can get the "*" syntax right so it never finder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xdotool and XOJO

I am trying to place and size a window on Mac using XOJO as my coding app. I am NOT in Terminal. Needs to be run as a shell I guess, but I don't know how to get the variable or set the variable. Here is a line of code that opens a folder: Dim sh As New Shell() sh.Execute("open... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbrady
1 Replies
bzadmin(6)							      BZFlag								bzadmin(6)

NAME
bzadmin - a text based client for BZFlag SYNOPSIS
bzadmin [-help] [-hide msgtype[,msgtype]...] [-show msgtype[,msgtype]...] [-ui {curses | stdboth | stdin | stdout}] callsign[:pass- word]@hostname[:port] [command] [command] ... DESCRIPTION
bzadmin is a textbased client for the game BZFlag. It can't be used for playing, but it can be used to see when players join and leave the game, to see the chat messages, and to send messages and commands to the server, as well as see several other vital game messages. When you start bzadmin without any command line options other than callsign and hostname a simple curses-based user interface will be started (unless you built bzadmin without curses support). This interface is divided into three rectangles; the output window (which covers almost all of the terminal), the target window, and the input window. The output window is where messages from the server will be shown. The target window shows the name of the player that will receive your next message, or 'all' if it will be a public message. You can change target by using the left and right arrow keys. The input window is where you type your messages. It also supports tab completion of commands and callsigns. You can clear the input window with the key combination Ctrl-U, and you can generate a /kick command for the current target with the F5 key (if the current target is a player). You can also generate a ban command for the current target with the F6 key, but this only works if you are an admin and the server has sent you that players IP address (as a response to a /playerlist command). The curses user interface also has a simple menu system where you can edit the server variables (if you are an admin) and see a player list. If you are an admin you can also see the IP addresses in the player list, if you have sent a /playerlist command. The menu shows up when you hit the F2 key. It only covers the upper half of the screen, so you can still see what's going on in the game. You can navigate through the menu with the up and down arrow keys, and use the enter key to select submenus and other menu items. If you hit F2 again the command prompt will regain keyboard focus, but the menu will still be visible. If you hit F2 a third time the menu will go away. Options -help Show a simple help text. -hide msgtype[,msgtype]... Tell bzadmin not to show these message types. The available message types are chat, join, kill, leave, pause, ping, rabbit, spawn, time, and over. By default chat, join, kill, leave, pause, and rabbit are shown. You can also change this while bzadmin is running with the commands /show <msgtype> and /hide <msgtype>, and from the curses menu. -show msgtype[,msgtype]... Tell bzadmin to show these message types. See -hide for a list of available message types. If a message type is listed both in -show and -hide it will not be shown. -ui {curses | stdboth | stdin | stdout} Select the user interface that you want. The curses interface is the default, and it is described above. The stdin interface reads user commands from the standard in stream and sends them to the server. All server output is ignored. The stdout interface prints all server output to the standard out stream. All user input is ignored. The stdboth interface is a combination of stdin and stdout - it prints server output to the standard out stream, and reads user commands from the standard in stream. callsign[:password]@hostname[:port] Specifies the callsign that you want your client to use, and the hostname where the BZFlag server is. The port number is optional, and the default value is 5154. command You can specify messages and commands to send to the server on the command line. BZAdmin will continue running after sending the specified commands. Examples bzadmin admin@localhost:5154 Join the game on localhost, port 5154, using the callsign 'admin'. bzadmin admin@localhost '/passwd secretpass' '/ban 192.168.0.2' Connect to the server at localhost and ban the IP 192.168.0.2. bzadmin -ui stdout spy@bzserver.xy | grep magicword Connect to bzserver.xy and print all server messages that contain 'magicword'. SEE ALSO
bzfs(6), bzflag(6), bzw(5) bzadmin-2.0.16 2011-12-27 bzadmin(6)