Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move matching file to folder in same directory Post 303031644 by cmccabe on Sunday 3rd of March 2019 03:52:37 PM
Old 03-03-2019
The script below will identify the oldest folder in the directory and and stored as $filename and the parsed value is $folder.... user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 is an example.

The awk extracts the matching pdf based on the $filename variable. That pdf is parsed and the user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 is stored in $pdf. The set -xv shows that nothing populates in $pdf. I am not sure why though?

I will then perform the match on the $folder = $pdfand cp. to the matching $folder in $dir. Is there another better way or am I getting closer?

I also removed the gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM) as that is not needed to match the pdf.

Code:
set -xv  # add error checking
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder  # define directory as dir
# Find oldest directory
find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0' | sort -z |  #s earch dir for only folders by time and sort
while read -r -d $'\t' time && read -r -d '' filename  # read each folder into $filename and grab oldest
do  # start loop
 printf "The oldest folder is $filename, created on $time\n"  # print message with oldest folder
folder="$(echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-)" # split on _ and print  # create $folder variable with parse output
echo "The folder is" "$folder"  # confirm parse message --- user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 --- is an example
# Find matching pdf
pdf=$(awk -v FL="$filename" '  # store oldest folder and $FL
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}  # start loop
         filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { # look at only 1 folder and index
              match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/") # match substring _user in each folder name
              FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2) # extract contents and store as $FNUM --- user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 --- is an example  
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"') # print $FNUM for pdf
   break  # end loop
done  # end processing
echo "The matching pdf is" $pdf  # confirm pdf match
# copy pdf to folder
if [[ "$pdf" = "$folder" ]] # only execute file--->folder value match
      then  # perform action on match
   cp $dir/*$pdf.pdf $dir/*$folder  # copy pdf to matching folder
fi  # end 
done # processing complete

set -xv output

Code:
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ set -xv
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
+ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ # Find oldest directory
# Find oldest directory
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0' | sort -z |
find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0' | sort -z |
> while read -r -d $'\t' time && read -r -d '' filename
while read -r -d $'\t' time && read -r -d '' filename
> do
do
>  printf "The oldest folder is $filename, created on $time\n"
 printf "The oldest folder is $filename, created on $time\n"
> folder="$(echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-)" # split on _ and print
folder="$(echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-)" # split on _ and print
> echo "The folder is" "$folder"
echo "The folder is" "$folder"
> # Find matching pdf
# Find matching pdf
> pdf=$(awk -v FL="$filename" '
pdf=$(awk -v FL="$filename" '
>          FNR == 1 {filenum++}
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}
>          filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { 
         filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { 
>               match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/")
              match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/")
>               FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2)
              FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2)
>               gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
              gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
>           }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"')
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"')
>    break
   break
> done
done
+ sort -z
+ find /home/cmccabe/folder -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0'
+ read -r -d '	' time
+ read -r -d '' filename
+ printf 'The oldest folder is R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions, created on 2019-03-01+11:32:47.3690364740\n'
The oldest folder is R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions, created on 2019-03-01+11:32:47.3690364740
echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-
++ echo R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
++ cut -d_ -f8-
+ folder=user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
+ echo 'The folder is' user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
The folder is user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
awk -v FL="$filename" '
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}
              gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"'
++ awk -v FL=R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions '
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}
              gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"'
+ pdf=
+ break
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ echo "The matching pdf is" $pdf
echo "The matching pdf is" $pdf
+ echo 'The matching pdf is'
The matching pdf is

Last edited by cmccabe; 03-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: updated script with comments

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the file from one folder to another folder

Hi, I have a requirement to move a file from one folder(a) to another folder(b) only when folder (b) have a write permission. Folder permission is 755 If the permission is otherthan 755 we need to come out of the loop I will appreciate your help Thanks Soll (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sollins
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory, is this possible? if it is, can someone help me on this? Thanks! God bless! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search through subfolders and move them into separate folder on the base of file size

Hello guys I am sure that you will help me on this issue as you did earlier::) Scenario : I have a folder named "XYZ". It consist many sub-folders and subfolder contain severals files. there may be abc.dat in each subfolder. Now i want to seperate subfolders on follwing conditions- if abc.dat... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiant
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTPS Script to move a file to Unix Folder

Dear Experts, I need to connect to a FTPS Server and move the files from FTPS folder "/SAP/Out" to Unix directory "/SAP/In". I need to run this script on Unix directory...Script should get the files from FTPS folder and place that in specified Unix Directory. Thanks In Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani333
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move set of file from one folder to another folder

Hi all, let me explain my requirments i am having 5 folder with different name for eg) abc , cdf , efd, rtg, ead each 5 folders contain 15 files i want to move 10 files to some other folder, remain 5 files should be there in the same folder. give me some suggestion on this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one folder to another along with directory indicator

Hi All, I have directory and it has multiple sub directories and all these sub directories contains many files. i want to move all these files to one different directory. But after moving files i should be able to recognize which file belongs to which directory. Is there any way to achieve... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies