Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move matching file to folder in same directory Post 303031591 by cmccabe on Saturday 2nd of March 2019 12:19:01 PM
Old 03-02-2019
Move matching file to folder in same directory

The below bash executes but nothing is copied. I am trying to cp or mv the matching .pdf to the corresponding folder. There will always be a matching .pdf found but the number of folders may vary. The portion in red is what is used to match the .pdf--- variable $pdf to the folder--- variable $fmatch. If I do an echo I can see the variables are populated correctly. I used cp to test before mv to make sure it works. Thank you Smilie.

folders in $dir --- this is $fmatch
Code:
R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions

pdf in $dir --- this is $pdf
Code:
Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf

desired output
Code:
Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf  ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions

Code:
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
for file1 in $dir/*.pdf; do
# Grab file prefix
  bname=`basename $file1` # strip of path
  pre="$(echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4)" # remove after fourth underscore
  pdf="$(echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}')" # split on - and print 2 and third field
# Find matching folder
  folder=$(find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d)
  fpre="$(echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)" # remove after ninth underscore
  fmatch="$(echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}')"  # split on - and print third and fourth field
     if [[ $pdf = $fmatch ]] # only execute file---folder value match
      then
   cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch
fi
done

bash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the file from one folder to another folder

Hi, I have a requirement to move a file from one folder(a) to another folder(b) only when folder (b) have a write permission. Folder permission is 755 If the permission is otherthan 755 we need to come out of the loop I will appreciate your help Thanks Soll (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sollins
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory, is this possible? if it is, can someone help me on this? Thanks! God bless! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search through subfolders and move them into separate folder on the base of file size

Hello guys I am sure that you will help me on this issue as you did earlier::) Scenario : I have a folder named "XYZ". It consist many sub-folders and subfolder contain severals files. there may be abc.dat in each subfolder. Now i want to seperate subfolders on follwing conditions- if abc.dat... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiant
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTPS Script to move a file to Unix Folder

Dear Experts, I need to connect to a FTPS Server and move the files from FTPS folder "/SAP/Out" to Unix directory "/SAP/In". I need to run this script on Unix directory...Script should get the files from FTPS folder and place that in specified Unix Directory. Thanks In Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani333
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move set of file from one folder to another folder

Hi all, let me explain my requirments i am having 5 folder with different name for eg) abc , cdf , efd, rtg, ead each 5 folders contain 15 files i want to move 10 files to some other folder, remain 5 files should be there in the same folder. give me some suggestion on this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one folder to another along with directory indicator

Hi All, I have directory and it has multiple sub directories and all these sub directories contains many files. i want to move all these files to one different directory. But after moving files i should be able to recognize which file belongs to which directory. Is there any way to achieve... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies