Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script Post 303031573 by xiaogeji on Saturday 2nd of March 2019 03:18:33 AM
Old 03-02-2019
Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script

Hi,

I am totally a newbie to any programming languages and I just started an entry level job in an IT company. One of my recent tasks is to create a script that is able to show the log file of linux service (i.e. ntpd service)
lets say, if I run my script ./test.sh, the output should be similar to :
Code:
2019-02-26 09:15:00 +1100,Success,ntpd,restart,Service Successfully Restart

I dont know if I didnt get the right requirement or something, I found a lot of scripts online but none of them worked for my case. One thing that I don't understand is, do I firstly need to have an existing .log file that has all the ntpd service history? I check var/log/ntpstats but there is no log files.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some ideas, if you need any clarifications please let me know.

Thanks very much

xiao

Last edited by vbe; 03-02-2019 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

generate xml from a shell script

Hello! I would like to generate an xml file from the output of various commands generated from within a shell script (some will be in CDATA). At the moment the only solution I have come up with is echoing xml tags around the commands eg. echo "<bitism>" >> outputfile /usr/sbin/prtconf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: speedieB
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - shell script newbie

My problem looks like it should have a simple solution but it seems that after many days of research I cannot find a good solution. What I have is an input file that contains lines of information. What I need is to extract specific information from that file. What I know is that somewhere in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eback
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i generate random integer using only shell script

Hi All, I need to generate 4 digit random no using only shell script. Please help in this ASAP. Thanks in advance... Regards, sridhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Help -I'm a newbie

Can someone help me write this shell script? I am completely new to shell and as a fun task my uncle has challenged me a problem (out of all other people). Basically, all he wants me to do is to create backup file in a folder that is named “disables.” This is what he said: create a shell script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hotcutiepie05
0 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Shell Script - Generate SNMP Traps

Good morning to you all I´m kinda of a noob to scripting, and my knowledge is still very basic: anyway, I´ve developed a small .sh script with the following purpose: - it will check a result file, checking if it has any values, or if it´s empty - if it´s empty it will send an email What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zarahel
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for a newbie

Hello all, I want to write a shell script to list the contents of a directory and number them and write them to a file. For example, if I have a directory temp and the contents of the directory are alpha, beta and gamma. I want to write these filenames to a file "test" in a numbered manner. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate logfile in a shell script

Unix Gurus, I have a shell script which has few "echo" statements. I am trying to create a logfile where all the outputs of the echo statement sare stored. I will have to add this as the final step in the existing script so that everytime the script runs, a logfile is generated with all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script newbie, what is problem with my script?

Hello, Ubuntu server 11.10 can anybody help what is problem with my shell script? #!/bin/bash #script to find out currently logged on user is root or not. if ] then echo "You are super" else echo "You are awesome!" fi When I run script, I get following output ./uid: line 3: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare and generate a new file

Requirement is I have two files their format is File1 - input_file ----- tmp_value|3|number|| tmp_value1|3|alpha|| tmp_value2|6|alpha|AA AA| tmp_value3|15|number|000000005| tmp_value4|15|number|000000000000000| tmp_value5|11|alpha|bbbbbbbbbbb| tmp_value6|11|alpha|bb bb| input_file ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate documentation for a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script with proper intentation and commenting structure. However, I would like to generate documentation for the shell which I have written. Is there any tool as such to generate it like we have javagen/docgen ? Please help. Thanks, Arjun (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
0 Replies
LATD.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						      LATD.CONF(5)

NAME
latd.conf - LAT configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/latd.conf DESCRIPTION
/etc/latd.conf is a shell script (run by /bin/sh) that is run when latd is started up using the latcp -s command. It contains commands used to customise lat for your site and usually consists of a list of latcp commands. latd.conf is run with a minimal PATH and a minimal environment. The variable $LATCP points to the latcp binary used to invoke the script. EXAMPLE # /etc/latd.conf # This is a sample configuration file for latd # it is run as s shell script from latcp -s with a minimal # environment and PATH. latcp should be invoked using the # environment variable $LATCP. # # You can fiddle with all the latd parameters you like in here, # the first service announcement will not be made until this # script completes. # # Set the multicast timeout to 30 seconds $LATCP -m 30 # Add another login service $LATCP -A -a ZAPHOD -r 100 # Add a queued reverse LAT service to a printer on a DECserver $LATCP -A -p /dev/lat/printer -Hdecserver -Vdecserver -Q # Only advertise our service in groups 1-10 and 200 $LATCP -G 1-10,200 exit SEE ALSO latcp(8), latd(8) LAT Server June 2 2000 LATD.CONF(5)