Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Odd behavior from GDB while trying to cross-debug an embedded Linux application. Post 303031447 by Circuits on Thursday 28th of February 2019 11:00:11 AM
Old 02-28-2019
Odd behavior from GDB while trying to cross-debug an embedded Linux application.

Some background:

The application normally runs on an embedded platform. Currently, for development purposes, I have the rootfs located @ /exports and the target is communicating over NFS. That way I can make a change on my local system, save the application @ /exports, and run the altered version to see if it will work without having to do a full install on the target itself.

Following this guide I was able to get GDB debugging working or at least I thought I was. However, as soon as I altered my code, built my project and copied/replaced the application with the altered application I received the following errors:

Truncated/partial Eclipse Debugger Console output:

Code:
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
(gdb) 0x400007b0 in ?? () from target:/lib/ld-linux.so.3                                                                                                                                           
Reading /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 from remote target...
Reading /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 from remote target...
Error while mapping shared library sections:
Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: Connection reset by peer.
warning: Could not load shared library symbols for 4 libraries, e.g. /usr/lib/libc.so.6.
Use the "info sharedlibrary" command to see the complete listing.
Do you need "set solib-search-path" or "set sysroot"?
Error while reading shared library symbols for target:/usr/lib/libasound.so.2:
Can't read symbols from target:/usr/lib/libasound.so.2: Input/output error
Error while reading shared library symbols for target:/usr/lib/libm.so.6:
Can't read symbols from target:/usr/lib/libm.so.6: Input/output error

Output from my serial port terminal:

Code:
*** glibc detected *** gdbserver: double free or corruption (!prev):
0x000983d8 ****

As I mentioned I believe this gdbserver error may be erroneous and explaining why might be tricky so here goes. As I mentioned GDB seemed to be working. For instance, here is the GDB output I was getting:

Truncated/partial Eclipse Debugger Console output (before compiling and copying application):

Code:
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
(gdb) 0x400007b0 in ?? () from target:/lib/ld-linux.so.3                                                                                                                                           
Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffd8614
Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffd8610

Temporary breakpoint 1, main (argc=0, argv=0x0) at main.cpp:413
413       TimeStuff::CStopWatch  dtorDuration;
Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffd8614
Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffd8610

So, like expected, the application runs and pauses at main. I can then resume the application and debug whatever I need. In fact, I used it to debug a problem then made a change and tested it. It worked, great! However, as soon as I went to debug the application for a different problem I received the errors you read earlier. So why do I think the gdbserver error is erroneous? Well because both applications are using the same exact version of glibc. In fact, the only differences between the two applications is the changes I made to the code and that code works, I know because I tested it.

That being said I am chooseing, XD, to ignore the error reported in the serial terminal and am concentrating on the errors reported by Eclipse, specifically this jumped out at me:

Code:
Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: Connection reset by peer.

Not sure why there would be a remote communications error, any ideas what might be happening here? Are these glibc errors actually red herrings?

Last edited by Circuits; 02-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Attempting to make more sense XD

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd .sh behavior in script

Hello, I have been working on a what I thought was a fairly simple script for installing a software kit on Linux and Unix I am not new to scripting but am far from being fluent in sh scripting. any assistance would be appreciated. I have an odd bug occuring when executing the script. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Odd storage behavior

Hi, We have some troubles with our HP server (rx4640) running HP-UX 11.31. The server is attached to a JBod cabinet. If the JBod cabinet is powered on and we power on the server after then HP-UX can't find the devices (disks) at the cabinet. Does not help to run an ioscan -fnC disk. But if I power... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

3. Programming

gdb: how to debug an executable file with a few command line papameters

If an executalbe file has several parameters, gdb can not pass parameters correctly. Let us see: run: ./executablefile1 agr1 arg2 arg3 debug: gdb executablefile1 run executalbefile1 arg1 arg2 arg3 then argv : executablefile1 argv : executablefile argv : arg1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
3 Replies

4. Programming

gdb: problem while debug an executable file

I created one file (test.cpp)and complied it and get the executable file(test) and run it.It is giving the out put but when I am trying to debug that executable.I am getting the error -- please tell me the solutions?? Thanks in advance ..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

a question about debug using gdb(/lib32/libc.so.6: No such file or directory)

Hi all, (gdb) target remote 192.168.185.196:1389 Remote debugging using 192.168.185.196:1389 warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function. GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers and track explicitly loaded dynamic code. 0x2fbd0800 in ?? () (gdb) l 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

6. Programming

Debug two process Using GDB

Hi All I know How to attach a process to beubg it .But for my application I am using client as well server.Both are two separate process .Suppose I need to debug both .How to attach both of them together .Or I have to attach them separetly . Suppose client process id is 1325 and server is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
2 Replies

7. Programming

Can't debug: assert error with gdb (no problem without)

I'm sorry if the title is really criptic, but I don't know how to phrase my problem. I know I can't really ask for a solution, and I normally wouldn't but this is really escaping my abilities. Antefacts. I developed a program using the zeromq messaging library. I got to a point where the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: erupter
11 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Odd behavior from passwd.

Hi Folks, Before I go off and start checking I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before. # passwd e825390 Changing password for user e825390. New password: Retype new password: Retype new password: passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. As you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies