Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX file with Newlines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX file with Newlines Post 303031442 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 28th of February 2019 09:47:51 AM
Old 02-28-2019
You have at least two "code" problems to overcome:
1. if this happens to all records
2. if this happens to only some records.

We need to know which is true before we go any further. If neither one is correct we need you to post
Sample input (8-10 lines of original file)
Sample expected output (same 8-10 lines that you fixed manually)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inserted newlines from a fileld of fixed width file.

Hi champs! I have a fixed width file in which the records appear like this 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the record of 11111 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_1
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose with two newlines as delimiter

Hi Guys, I have data in a file as follows: a 1 2 3 b 4 5 6 a 6 7 8 a 4 7 9 b 6 8 5 c 0 8 7 So the number of rows which have data is variable (2 for the first group, one for the second group and three for the third group), but the delimiters between the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding lines in a file with newlines

Hi Guys, I have a file as shown below: 55 6 77 8 88 98 7 85 45 544 1 33 32 13 13 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding string in very long file without newlines

What's the best way to find a string in a very long file without newlines in Unix? The standard utility I'm aware of for finding a string in a single file is grep, but for a long file without newlines, I think the output is just going to be the input. I suppose I could use sed to replace the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronpoley
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for LINE in $(cat file)' breaking at spaces, not just newlines

Hello. I'm making a (hopefully) simple shell script xml parser that outputs a file I can grep for information. I am writing it because I have yet to find a command line utility that can do this. If you know of one, please just stop now and tell me about it. Even better would be one I can input... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: natedawg1013
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract pattern before two newlines

Hi All, My file looks like this: 1 2 3 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 7 6 3 4 5 3 6 7 3 4 5 1 2 4 3 4 6 2 4 6 As you can see there are two newlines after the next pattern of numbers begin. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing newlines after a certain word.

Hello! This is my first post here. I have a file with text like: A</title> B C</title> D I need to format it to: AB CD I am trying to use sed: sed 's/<//title>\n/ /g' file > newfile to delete </title> and the newline character, but the file is unchanged because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaytonCPS
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newlines

Hi buddy's my file are like this: s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30," ebdug gil",,4 but i want s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30,"ebdug gil",,4 any command or Shell script for this. please help me it's urgent to implement (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneelbabu.etl
33 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newlines and carriage return from a csv file using UNIX

I need to remove new lines and carriage returns from csv file. Is there anything other than sed and gwak by which we could achieve this ? Any suggestions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Gaddale
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting with newlines

Hi All - I am in need of some help in formating the below file Requirement - 1) replace newlines with space 2) replace '#~# ' with newline ----------------------- sample inputfile a I|abc|abc|aaa#~# I|sddddd|tya|dfg sfd ssss#~# I|tya1|tya2|dfg|sfd|aaa#~#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J1nx007
5 Replies
acctcon(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       acctcon(1M)

NAME
acctcon, acctcon1, acctcon2 - connect-time accounting SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/acct/acctcon [-l lineuse] [-o reboot] /usr/lib/acct/acctcon1 [-p] [-t] [-l lineuse] [-o reboot] /usr/lib/acct/acctcon2 DESCRIPTION
acctcon converts a sequence of login/logoff records to total accounting records (see the tacct format in acct.h(3HEAD)). The login/logoff records are read from standard input. The file /var/adm/wtmpx is usually the source of the login/logoff records; however, because it might contain corrupted records or system date changes, it should first be fixed using wtmpfix. The fixed version of file /var/adm/wtmpx can then be redirected to acctcon. The tacct records are written to standard output. acctcon is a combination of the programs acctcon1 and acctcon2. acctcon1 converts login/logoff records, taken from the fixed /var/adm/wtmpx file, to ASCII output. acctcon2 reads the ASCII records produced by acctcon1 and converts them to tacct records. acctcon1 can be used with the -l and -o options, described below, as well as with the -p and -t options. OPTIONS
-p Print input only, showing line name, login name, and time (in both numeric and date/time formats). -t acctcon1 maintains a list of lines on which users are logged in. When it reaches the end of its input, it emits a session record for each line that still appears to be active. It normally assumes that its input is a current file, so that it uses the current time as the ending time for each session still in progress. The -t flag causes it to use, instead, the last time found in its input, thus assuring reasonable and repeatable numbers for non-current files. -l lineuse lineuse is created to contain a summary of line usage showing line name, number of minutes used, percentage of total elapsed time used, number of sessions charged, number of logins, and number of logoffs. This file helps track line usage, identify bad lines, and find software and hardware oddities. Hangup, termination of login(1) and termination of the login shell each generate logoff records, so that the number of logoffs is often three to four times the number of sessions. See init(1M) and utmpx(4). -o reboot reboot is filled with an overall record for the accounting period, giving starting time, ending time, number of reboots, and number of date changes. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the acctcon command. The acctcon command is typically used as follows: example% acctcon -l lineuse -o reboots < tmpwtmp > ctacct The acctcon1 and acctcon2 commands are typically used as follows: example% acctcon1 -l lineuse -o reboots < tmpwtmp | sort +1n +2 > ctmp example% acctcon2 < ctmp > ctacct FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx History of user access and administration information ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acctcom(1), login(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), fwtmp(1M), init(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct.h(3HEAD), utmpx(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The line usage report is confused by date changes. Use wtmpfix (see fwtmp(1M)), with the /var/adm/wtmpx file as an argument, to correct this situation. During a single invocation of any given command, the acctcon, acctcon1, and acctcon2 commands can process a maximum of: o 6000 distinct session o 1000 distinct terminal lines o 2000 distinct login names If at some point the actual number of any one of these items exceeds the maximum, the command will not succeed. SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 acctcon(1M)