Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning Post 303031400 by bakunin on Wednesday 27th of February 2019 10:09:27 PM
Old 02-27-2019
There are two things i noticed which might affect performance negatively:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3rb3rus
Code:
# lsattr -l fcs0 -E
max_xfer_size 0x100000   Maximum Transfer Size                              True

You can increase this to help especially larger transfers. Use the -R switch of lsattr to see legal values you can use.

These two:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3rb3rus
Code:
# lsattr -El hdisk2
algorithm       fail_over                                           Algorithm                        True+
reserve_policy  single_path                                         Reserve Policy                   True+

are also not optimal. Basically the multipath drivers (can) use multiple pathes (FC connections from the LUN to the system) at once. These multiple pathes can be used for two purposes: the first is redundancy, so that if one connection fails it uses another. Connection failure - temporarily - happens rather frequently for reasons i don't fully understand in FC-connections. The other purpose multiple pathes can be used to is performance: using several pathes in parallel speeds things up. This is basically controlled by using the "algorithm" property. I have no test system at hand to tell you the value you need to use but there are only two of them and you need the other one - again, use the lsattr -R switch to list all legal values for the property.

The reserve_policy should be "no_reserve" but this matters mostly in clusters where disks are accessed from several systems at once.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance tuning.

can someone tell me a good site to go to in order to learn this. please do not recommen nay books because i dont have interest in that. if you know of any good sites with good straight forward explanation on how to split loads on machines that has excessive loading, please let me know Also,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

EXT3 Performance tuning

Hi all, long time ago I posted something, but now, it is needed again :( Currently, I am handling with a big NFS Server for more than 200 clients, this sever has to work with 256 NFSDs. Because of this huge amount of NFSDs, there are thousands of small write accesses down to the disk and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance Tuning

Hi to all, I'm interested in finding an introduction about Performance Tuning under Unix (or Linux); can somebody please point me in the right direction? Best regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domyalex
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle-performance tuning

Sorry, This is out of scope of this group.But I require the clarification pretty urgently. My Oracle database is parallely enabled. Still,in a particular table queries do not work "parallely" always. How is this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthri
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Tuning

Hi All, In last one week, i have posted many questions in this portal. At last i am succeeded to make my 1st unix script. following are 2 points where my script is taking tooooo long. 1. Print the total number of records excluding header & footer. I have found that awk 'END{print NR -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to do Performance monitoring and tuning in AIX

How to do Performance monitoring and tuning in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

7. AIX

UNIX/AIX Performance Tuning = some basics please

Hi all, From Googling, I found that the basics used for troubleshooting UNIX/AIX performance issues are commands like vmstat, iostat and sar. I believe these are generic commands regardless of what UNIX flavour is in used, only difference being is the format of the output. In a real case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. AIX

Performance issue / tuning advice

Please take a look at this system and give your analysis / advice. Can it be tuned to get a better performance? We are not getting more hardware ressources at the moment. We have to live with what we have. Application running on the system is SAS. OS is AIX 6.1 Let me know if you need output of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox111
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Performance tuning

Dear all, I have a Local zone , where users feel that performance is not good. Is it wise to collect the inputs from the local zone rather than taking from the global zone. And also Can I tune from Global zone , so that it will reflect in local zone. Rgds rj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

10. Tips and Tutorials

The Most Incomplete Guide to Performance Tuning

Overview: Introduction What Does Success Mean? What Does Performance Mean? Every Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Work Like a Physicist Work Like You Walk - One Step at a Time Learn to Know Your System Choose Your Weapons! Tools of the Trade 1 - vmstat A Little Theory Along the Way -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies
LSATTR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 LSATTR(1)

NAME
lsattr - list file attributes on a Linux second extended file system SYNOPSIS
lsattr [ -RVadlpv ] [ files... ] DESCRIPTION
lsattr lists the file attributes on a second extended file system. See chattr(1) for a description of the attributes and what they mean. OPTIONS
-R Recursively list attributes of directories and their contents. -V Display the program version. -a List all files in directories, including files that start with `.'. -d List directories like other files, rather than listing their contents. -l Print the options using long names instead of single character abbreviations. -p List the file's project number. -v List the file's version/generation number. AUTHOR
lsattr was written by Remy Card <Remy.Card@linux.org>. It is currently being maintained by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@alum.mit.edu>. BUGS
There are none :-). AVAILABILITY
lsattr is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
chattr(1) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LSATTR(1)