Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning Post 303031393 by rowswell on Wednesday 27th of February 2019 05:17:28 PM
Old 02-27-2019
As an alternative can you use the ndisk64 tool (part of the nstress tools from Nigel Griffiths)

Do a web search for "nstress" and download the tar file from the IBM wiki site.

In the /usr1 filesystem create 10 * 1GB files:

Code:
cd /usr1
for f in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
do
echo "Creating file: f${f}"
dd if=/dev/zero of=f${f} bs=1m count=1024 >/dev/null 2>&1
done

Run(){
ndisk64 -f f1 -C -r 100 -R -b 1m -t 20 -M 4 |grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f1 -C -R -b 1m -t 20 -M 4|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f1 -C -S -b 1m -t 20 -M 4|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f1 -C -R -r 0 -b 1m -t 20 -M 4|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f1 -C -S -r 0 -b 1m -t 20 -M 4|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -r 100 -R -b 1m -t 20 -M 4|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -r 100 -R -b 1m -t 20 -M 10|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -r 100 -S -b 1m -t 20 -M 10|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -S -b 1m -t 20 -M 10|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -R -b 1m -t 20 -M 10|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -R -r 0 -b 1m -t 20 -M 10|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
ndisk64 -f f0,f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9 -C -S -r 0 -b 1m -t 20 -M 10|grep TOTALS|awk '{print $2,$3,$5}'
}
Run

Please post your results

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for code, data and terminal output. Thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 02-27-2019 at 11:11 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance tuning.

can someone tell me a good site to go to in order to learn this. please do not recommen nay books because i dont have interest in that. if you know of any good sites with good straight forward explanation on how to split loads on machines that has excessive loading, please let me know Also,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

EXT3 Performance tuning

Hi all, long time ago I posted something, but now, it is needed again :( Currently, I am handling with a big NFS Server for more than 200 clients, this sever has to work with 256 NFSDs. Because of this huge amount of NFSDs, there are thousands of small write accesses down to the disk and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance Tuning

Hi to all, I'm interested in finding an introduction about Performance Tuning under Unix (or Linux); can somebody please point me in the right direction? Best regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domyalex
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle-performance tuning

Sorry, This is out of scope of this group.But I require the clarification pretty urgently. My Oracle database is parallely enabled. Still,in a particular table queries do not work "parallely" always. How is this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthri
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Tuning

Hi All, In last one week, i have posted many questions in this portal. At last i am succeeded to make my 1st unix script. following are 2 points where my script is taking tooooo long. 1. Print the total number of records excluding header & footer. I have found that awk 'END{print NR -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to do Performance monitoring and tuning in AIX

How to do Performance monitoring and tuning in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

7. AIX

UNIX/AIX Performance Tuning = some basics please

Hi all, From Googling, I found that the basics used for troubleshooting UNIX/AIX performance issues are commands like vmstat, iostat and sar. I believe these are generic commands regardless of what UNIX flavour is in used, only difference being is the format of the output. In a real case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. AIX

Performance issue / tuning advice

Please take a look at this system and give your analysis / advice. Can it be tuned to get a better performance? We are not getting more hardware ressources at the moment. We have to live with what we have. Application running on the system is SAS. OS is AIX 6.1 Let me know if you need output of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox111
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Performance tuning

Dear all, I have a Local zone , where users feel that performance is not good. Is it wise to collect the inputs from the local zone rather than taking from the global zone. And also Can I tune from Global zone , so that it will reflect in local zone. Rgds rj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

10. Tips and Tutorials

The Most Incomplete Guide to Performance Tuning

Overview: Introduction What Does Success Mean? What Does Performance Mean? Every Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Work Like a Physicist Work Like You Walk - One Step at a Time Learn to Know Your System Choose Your Weapons! Tools of the Trade 1 - vmstat A Little Theory Along the Way -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)