Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Enclose String in single quote Post 303031349 by jnrohit2k on Tuesday 26th of February 2019 06:56:19 PM
Old 02-26-2019
Enclose String in single quote

I have a comma separated file which contains data like;

File header:
Code:
ID_WVR,SAK_WVR_SVC,DSC_WVR_WVC,SAK_PROCEDURE,CODES,CDE_PROC_MOD ,CDE_PROC_MOD_2 ,CDE_PROC_MOD_3

File Detail:
Code:
AMR,5100,Total Services,305,D0120,,,
AMR,5101,Periodic Services,40702,H2011,U1,,
AMR,5112,Day Services,30616,T2020,U1,HQ,
AMR,5112,Day Services,30616,T2020,U6,UA,In home day services moved under day services on 3/30/15
AMR,5378,Supported Services,40876,T2032,U1,REMOVE,Max rate sheet: end dated 2006

I want to enclose all those strings within single quotes which contain alphanumeric characters. I do not want to enclose data which contain numbers only. For example;

Code:
'AMR',5100,'Total Services',305,'D0120',,,
'AMR',5112,'Day Services',30616,'T2020','U6','UA','In home day services moved under day services on 3/30/15'

I wrote below command which is working for 1st row but it do not work when I am adding more fields, like 2nd, 3rd etc. rows have more alphanumeric data.

Code:
2s/\([A-Z]*\)\([,0-9]*\)\([A-Za-z ]*\)\([,0-9]*\)\([A-Z0-9]*\)\([,.*]\)/'\1'\2'\3'\4'\5'\6/

I am looking for a command which recognize the alphanumeric values and enclose the string with single quote, recursively.

Thanks,
Rohit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote

Hi I have a shell script with many lines as below: comment on column dcases.proj_seq_num is dcases_1sq; .... .... I want the above script to be as below: comment on column dcases.proj_seq_num is 'dcases_1sq'; I want to have single quotes like that as above for the entire shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find single quote in a string and replace it

Hi, I have variable inside shell script - from_item. from_item = 40.1'1/16 i have to first find out whether FROM_ITEM contains single quote('). If yes, then that need to be replace with two quotes (''). How to do it inside shell script? Please note that inside shell script........ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogichavan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote replacement

hi all, i have a data in the file which of the formate : 100,102,103 and the required formate is \'100\',\'102\',\'103 Idealy we need to replace , with \',\' Regards arkesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arkeshtk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to enclose a string in quotes

I have a script which I call and pass a text string to it. This string is then is assigned to a variable in the script. I then call another script and pass that variable to the second script, but when I do, the quotes are lost and the second script gets a total of three variables 'my', 'lovely' and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iskatel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture a string enclose by a pattern within a file?

Hi all, My file :test.txt just like this: ........................... From: 333:123<sip:88888888888@bbbb.com To: <sip:123456@aaaaa.com ......................... I want a script to capture the string between sip: & @ Expect output: 88888888888 123456 Please help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex Li
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to split string on single quote as delimiter

I have a variable that contains the following string: FPATH=-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 7 13:14 /app/F11.3/app/cust/exe/filename1.exe' -rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 19 10:09 /app/app/F11.3/app/cust/sql/33211.sql' -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 6 17:20 /app/F11.2/app/01/mrt/file1.mrt' I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)