Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What editor does everyone use? Post 303031343 by i4ismail on Tuesday 26th of February 2019 05:44:30 PM
Old 02-26-2019
Notepad++

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor ?

Hello everybody, My question is: how to add /tmp/work at the end of line in vi editor. my file looks like: cp file1 cp file2 cp file3 **** I need to add " /tmp/work" at the end of each line. I tried this :%s/$/" /tmp/work" and this :%s/$/\ /tmp/work\/ but it does not work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

instead VI editor - which one?

I'd like to find some editor for HP-UX, something like notepad, but not VI editor. Can someone have some ideas which one? thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diamond
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi editor

Hi, how can I add at the begining and at the end of all of the lines of my text file in VI editor ? Many thanks before. for exemple if in my file i have line 1 line 2 I want to have : start line 1 end start line 2 end (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain123456
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

best editor

We work on AIX 5L We use vi as text editor (only scripts to create and modifiy). What do you think of emacs ? Where can I find it ? Do you know better text editor for scripts ? Thank you for all answers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annemar
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

vi editor

I am new in hp ux and I want work with vi editor, but in hp ux vi editor the backspaes and del keys doesn't work. how can I enable them. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkoolivand
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

About vi editor

How can ` character be printed on vi editor ? empl_id=`echo $line | awk ' { print $1; } '` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to use @ in VI editor

Hello All, Need one Help for one issue. I am using a French Keyboard, so @ sign is on key 0 and i have to use right Alt + 0 to print it. It is working everywhere but not inside Vi editor. I can type @ in shell, in notepad. But inside Vi editor it is not working, another problem is that if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
2 Replies
dxue(1X)																  dxue(1X)

Name
       dxue - DECwindows user executive

Syntax
       dxue [ options ]

Description
       The  dxue  command provides a window that lets you access the ULTRIX programming environment and DECwindows applications.  In addition, you
       can expand the selection of commands by modifying existing or adding new dxue menus.

When started, dxue creates a text file in your home directory named .ue_profile.  When you make modifications to the dxue  interface,  dxue
       records those changes in this file.

Options
       -bd color	   Specifies  the  color  of  the window's border (color displays only).  The default is specified by means of the Session
			   Manager's Customize Window dialog box.

-bg color	   Specifies the color of the window's background (color displays only).  The default is specified by means of the Session

-d dispname	   Specifies  the display screen on which dxue displays its window.  If the display option is not specified, dxue uses the
			   display screen specified by your DISPLAY environment variable.  The display	option	has  the  format  hostname:number.
			   Using  two  colons  (::) instead of one (:) indicates that DECnet is to be used for transport.  The default is :0.  For
			   more information, see

-display dispname   This option is the same as the -d option.

-fg color	   Specifies the color of the window's foreground (color displays only).  The default is specified by means of the Session

-fn font 	   Specifies the font used when displaying text.

-geometry	   Specifies  the  width,  length,  and  location  of the dxue window.	If the geometry option is not specified, dxue uses
			   default values.  The geometry option has the format [widthxlength][{+-}x{+-}y].  For more information about the  screen
			   coordinate system, see

Main Window
       In  the	dxue  window, the Full Directory Path field displays the name of your current default directory.  The current directory appears in
       italics in the Directories list box.  You can change directories by selecting a directory name from the Directories list box.   The  Filter
       field  contains	the  file  name pattern to which the files shown in the Files subwindow conform.  An empty Filter field indicates that all
       files in the current directory are displayed.  The current directory and its displayed files are called the current view.

There are three methods for performing file operations.	You can select one or more files and then choose one of the items from	the  Files
       menu  to  apply	to  those files.  You can also position the pointer on a file name and press MB2 (the middle mouse button, unless you have
       redefined it); you then choose a file operation from the pop-up menu that appears.  The dxue application also  defines  default	operations
       for  various  types of files; you perform the default operation by positioning the pointer on a file name and double-clicking MB1 (the left
       mouse button, unless you have redefined it). To view or change the default file operations, choose the Double Click  Actions...	menu  item
       from the Customize menu.

Menus
       The dxue window contains the following menus:
       Control
       Customize
       Views
       Files
       Applications

Control Menu
       The control menu contains the following items:

Update		   Updates the current dxue window.

Select All	   Selects  all  the  files  in  the current file view.  The files will be displayed in reverse video to indicate that all
			   files have been selected.

Select None	   Cancels the Select All command.

Processes...	   Displays a window containing all current processes.	Kill, Suspend, Continue, and OK buttons are  also  displayed  that
			   allow you to kill suspend or continue a current process.

New View 	   Creates an additional dxue main window.

Save View...	   Saves  your	current  file view and format.	Displays a dialog box that prompts for the name of the view.  In addition,
			   you can select which settings (file strings, defaults directories, window sizes, window positions, fields, and  orders)
			   are saved.

Delete View...	   Displays a dialog box that lets you delete previously saved views.

Save as Startup View
			   Saves your current file view and format as your startup view.

Exit		   Closes the dxue main window.

Customize
       The Customize menu contains the following items:

File Properties...  Displays a window for selecting the file properties to display in the Files window.	The choices are file name, protec-
			   tion, link count, owner, size, and creation time.  As you choose a file property by clicking on its toggle button,  the
			   Sample  field  displays that property for one of your files. You can select the field by which the files are sorted and
			   specify the sort order: ascending or descending.

To immediately apply these changes to the files currently displayed in the Files subwindow, click on the Apply  button.
			   To cancel any changes, click on the Cancel button.  To save the changes, click on the OK button.

Edit Menus...	   Displays  a	window	containing  a Menu and Menu Items list boxes.  The Menu list box contains the names of all defined
			   menus.  The Menu Items list box contains the names of all the defined menu items in the menu selected in Menu list box.
			   You	can create additional menus by entering the name of the menu in the New Menu Name field and clicking on the Insert
			   button.  You can remove menus by selecting the name from the list and clicking on the Remove button.  You can add  menu
			   items in the same manner.

To  associate  a  shell  string with a menu item, select the menu item and type the string in the Associated Command or
			   Script field.  If you want the file names that are selected in the files list to be appended to the command when it	is
			   executed, click on the Append Files to Command selection.  Click on the Add to Menu Item button to associate the string
			   to the menu item.

To cancel the changes you have made, click on the cancel button.  To save the changes you have made, click  on  the	OK
			   button.

Double Click Actions...
			   Displays  a dialog box that lets you specify what action dxue takes when you double click on a particular type of file,
			   such as a directory or a file containing C code.  Through this dialog box you can also define new file types.

Views Menu
       The Views menu contains the following item:

Startup		   Displays your startup file view and format.	In addition, if you saved any views with  a  different	file  name,  these
			   appear as separate menu item in the Views menu.

Files Menu
       The Files menu contains the following items:

Copy...		   Displays  a	window asking for the files you want to copy and the destination of each of the selected files.  Each file
			   is copied to the specified destination.

Display...	   Displays a window containing a Files list box.  Enter the name of the files you want to display and	click  on  the	OK
			   button.

Search...	   Displays  a	window	asking for the files you want to search and the string you want to search for.	When you enter the
			   file and the string to search for, dxue searches for the specified string.

Create Directory... Displays a window containing a Name list box.  Enter the name of the directory you want to create.

Move...		   Displays a window asking for the files you want to move and the destination of each of the selected files.	Enter  the
			   two file names and click on the OK button.

Remove...	   Removes each of the selected files from the current directory.

Show Print Jobs...  Displays a dialog box that lets you specify a printer queue, and then displays the items on that queue.

Print File...	   Prints a file.

Applications Menu
       The Applications menu contains the following items:

Calculator	   Starts a dxcalc application.  See for more information about the dxcalc application.

Clock		   Starts a dxclock application.  See for more information about the dxclock application.

Mail		   Starts a dxmail application.  See for more information about the dxmail application.

Notepad		   Starts a dxnotepad application.  See for more information about the dxnotepad application.

CDA Viewer	   Starts a dxvdoc application.  See for more information about the dxvdoc application.

Restrictions
       Help is not implemented.

X Defaults
       The dxue application uses the values in the .Xdefaults file when you logged in and uses the appropriate resource specification to customize
       the appearance or characteristics of its displayed dxue window.	The format for a resource specification in the .Xdefaults file is:

[name*]resource:    value

name	 Specifies the application name or the name string that restricts the resource assignment to that application or to a component of
		 an application.  If this argument is not specified, the resource assignment is globally available to all X applications.

resource  Specifies the resource.

value	 Specifies the value that is to be assigned to the resource.

For more information, see

Because	each  toolkit-based application can consist of a combination of widgets (for example, push buttons and a scroll bar), you can form
       the name string by adding widget class and name identifiers to the string.  For further information about adding  class	and  name  identi-
       fiers, see

Files
       ~/.Xdefaults
       /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Executive
       ~/.ue_profile

See Also
       X(1X), dxwm(1X), dxsession(1X)
       DECwindows User's Guide

dxue(1X)