Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Need help with how to search a file for a variable string and delete that line Post 303031325 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 26th of February 2019 08:21:20 AM
Old 02-26-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_01
Hi Don

... ... ...

Had tried your script and that works superbly. Love the way you use the trap. I think I should start adding that in all of the scripts especially for SIGKILL=9 when we have to do a kill -9.

Thanks a lot again.
Hi newbie_01,
I'm glad it is working for you.

Unfortunately, kill -9 can't be caught so a trap won't work in that case. Fortunately, that is the only case that won't work. You can use trap to clean up on normal exit, SIGINT (kill -2 or ctl-c), and SIGQUIT (kill -3 or ctl-\). The SIGINT and SIGQUIT cases are significant since they have keyboard shortcuts as well as kill commands that can be used to generate them. The control C and control \ are the usual defaults on American keyboards, but you can change the characters used to generate both of those signals using the stty utility if you want different keyboard shortcuts.

If you use SIGKILL (kill -9) to terminate a job (any job), you'll have to manually go in and delete any temporary files that job may have created. Always try using SIGINT first to gives jobs a chance to clean up after themselves and use SIGKILL only as a last resort.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string and delete the line

Hi All, I have a file from Mainframe which has one of the lines with so many words... i tried to fold, format to 80 chararcter.. stil did not work. So i have decided to search for a string in that line Ex.FLIGHT PLAN and once if it is found i want to delete the entire line. Please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a line and save it in a variable

Hi I want to read a file line by line and search for a particular string in each line(say for example string containing @ )and save that string into a variable. Can someone suggest me the way to implement it.I am using K- shell Thanks Ishita (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ishita
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a line, delete a string in it

let me start out by saying i have ZERO exp with any kind of scripting, so sorry if this is really basic stuff..... For example, I need to have a script that will search a file and find this line in the file: *.cat;dog;kennel;house;barn;horse;hay;coat hat and remove the "coat" from the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: skunky
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for a string and delete it from the file

Hi , I am breaking my head from past one day ...to delete lines from a file which match to the string pattern.:wall: I am storing the search string in a variable and search if the file exists in the folder,if not delete that entry from the file. I am having problem to delete that line from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed find exact string and delete line with variable

All, I am trying to read in a variable and search a file then delete based on that string, but i want to match exact word. This works but it matches all, i don't want to match anthing that contains the string, just the exact string. sed -i "/$feedname/d" file I tried sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)