Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Rsync - not copy certain files Post 303031319 by nezabudka on Tuesday 26th of February 2019 05:20:27 AM
Old 02-26-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew77
Does it work with wildcards?
--include="[0-2]*"

--- Post updated at 13:20 ---

There is only a pitfall.
/media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/*
if there is an asterisk in the directory name, then the shell makes substitutions itself and only then sends to the "rsync" command
In your case, the asterisk is not required
but a trailing slash is necessary!
/media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/

Last edited by nezabudka; 02-26-2019 at 06:30 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to nezabudka For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using RSYNC to copy files locally

Has anyone ever used rsync to copy files locally on one server? (in this case from one SAN volume to another). I am familiar with using rsync to copy files between servers, but not locally, I would usually use cp or or tar or something. Is rsync slower? Does it use additional overhead of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync copy files once

Hi This is my situation I have files on the left which I want to copy to the right. Once the files are copied to the right, they are processed and then deleted. The next time rsync runs I dont want it to copy the same files again, it should only copy any new files to the right. I have been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using remote rsync, but copy locally?

I'm looking to use rsync to compare remote files and to copy the diff to a local directory, rather than transfer over the net. The net connection is not fast enough to transfer these files (~1.8TB) and I'd like to sneakernet them instead. Possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfbills
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync copy files if dont exist

I have a setup where I have two drives. TV TVbackup For what ever reason, I have a lot of content on my TVbackup drive which isn't on my TV drive. I want to copy all the files across which are on TVbackup but are not currently on TV. If there is a file with the same name but a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
2 Replies

5. SCO

Rsync sometimes fails to copy

Hello I tried rsync (version 3.0.7) on OpenServer 5.0.7. Compile the version of samba.org and use of aljex.com. Both versions do not work reliably, sometimes show errors and stop copying (sometimes works) The OSR5.0.7 I'm using VirtualBox, I do not think the problem is in virtualization, but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync to copy specific subfolders and files to new directory

RootFolderI: RootFolderI/FolderA/Subfolder1/Subsub1/JPG1.jpg -> want this jpg RootFolderI/FolderA/Subfolder2/Subsub1/JPG2.jpg -> want this jpg RootFolderI/FolderA/Subfolder2/Subsub2/JPG3.jpg . . . RootFolderI/FolderB/Subfolder1/Subsub1/JPG4.jpg -> want this jpg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blocnt
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rsync added new folders after copy?

Hi guys, Don't really know much about unix or anything, just starting to mess around a little bit to have more understanding in general. So, I tried using rsync to copy my macbook pro backup/clone from an external drive I have to another external drive. I ended up using... "sudo rsync -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbjeebs
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy local files to single remote host but multiple folders using rsync

I'm trying to copy a file myfile.scr from my local Linux server to multiple folders on remote AiX server using single rsync command. Below command helps me copy the file "myfile.scr" from my localhost to a remote host folder "/app/deployment/tmpfiles" rsync --delay-updates -F --compress... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)