Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compiling UNIX System V
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compiling UNIX System V Post 303031229 by bakunin on Sunday 24th of February 2019 05:17:28 PM
Old 02-24-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parodper
So how would i setup the system for compiling?
You start with, say, a Linux system. Put the sources there and use the Linux compiler - gcc to compile the sources. You should start with the compiler suite itself, (some) standard libraries, the linker, etc.. This is what hicksd8 means by "toolchain". Now you have a SysV-C-compiler that is compiled fo Linux. This is called "seeding", because ideally a compiler should be able to compile its own sources. That is: when you write a C-compiler in C you write it, then take another C-compiler and compile it, take that executable and use it to compile it again the original sources, then use that executable to compile it again. You then have a code that is compiled by the executable resulting from the very code its source has produced. From then on you use (the compiled) version X-1 to compile version X, etc.. Here you do basically the same for the whole OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parodper
Also, i'm not building one from scratch and i think that the source code is complete.
Of course you build from scratch. You start with the sources for the OS and you want to have a compiled, running and installed OS. That is as much "from scratch" as it can get.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

compiling Oracle Forms in UNIX-solaris

I am using the command: f60gen to complie a form and it says it does not work Pls help, as I am trying to compile a few .fmb files to fmx... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compiling idl file on unix

hi i need to compile idl files to convert them to classes, on Unix platform. Please tell me how to compile these files & which commands are to be used for this purpose. Thanks & Regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling scripts written in Unix

I would like to convert some Unix scripts into machine language. I dont know how to programe in C. Is there any software out there that I can use to convert these Unix scripts into machine language. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coburn
1 Replies

4. Programming

compiling c program in unix

if somebody can help me pls. i need the source code for a shell which compiles C or java programs in unix i need a very short and simple one, just the compiling part Respect (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlatan005
2 Replies

5. Programming

Problem compiling c file on unix

HI, I have a proc installation. On running the following 3 commands, I successfully get 3 C files. proc char_map=string util.pc proc char_map=string FDRFeedMain.pc proc char_map=string NonMons.pc This gives me util.c FDRFeedMain.c NonMons.c Now when i try to compile the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: allah_waris45
6 Replies

6. Programming

Compiling Pro*C program under unix

Hello, I am trying to compile a Pro*C program under unix: proc iname=test.pc works fine but then I am not able to compile the test.c file : gcc test.c -o test.o -L $ORACLE_HOME/lib -l clntsh /usr/bin/ld: Object file format error in: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0.2.0/lib:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsmrmd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling Kernel for an Embedded System

-----Edit----- My original post was long and confusing. To sum it up, I am wondering how to do the following Debian based commands on an RPM type system. dpkg -i XXX.deb update-initramfs -k xxx -c update-grub I hope someone can provide some insight. Thanks in advance! --------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sakenxx
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling tools for unix machine using C

Hello everyone i have a script written in C and i need to compile it in a unix machine i am a first time programmer and i do not know how to compile this and also i need to save the results in a table please help we normally use instructions like build_bb -f but now im confused i dnt knw hw to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeVGuL
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling error in UNIX

Hi, I'm trying to compile the code for a program and I run into the following error, ncfile.h: In constructor ‘ncfile::NcAttribute<T>::NcAttribute(const std::string&, const char*)': ncfile.h:357: error: there are no arguments to ‘strlen' that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstephens
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compiling Android system on Linux MInt

i have been trying to compile an android Marshmello system with no success. every time i try to compile i get this error javac: invalid source release: 1.7s Usage: javac <options> <source files> make: *** Error 41 #### make failed to build some targets (03:04 (mm:ss)) ####... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gearm
2 Replies
g-wrap-config(1)					      General Commands Manual						  g-wrap-config(1)

NAME
g-wrap-config - script to get information about the installed version of G-Wrap SYNOPSIS
g-wrap-config [ --version ] [ --c-compile-args LANG | --c-link-args LANG | --guile-module-directory ] DESCRIPTION
g-wrap-config is a tool that is used to configure and determine the compiler and linker flags that should be used to compile and link progams, libraries, and plugins that use G-Wrap. However, since G-Wrap 1.9, this tool has been deprecated in favor of pkg-config(1). New code should use the g-wrap-2.0-guile pkg-config module, g-wrap-config only exists for compatibility reasons. OPTIONS
--c-compile-args LANG Print the compiler flags that are necessary to compile a program or library that uses the G-Wrap language binding for LANG. --c-link-args LANG Print the linker flags that are necessary to link a program that uses the G-Wrap language binding for LANG. --version Prints the currently installed version of G-Wrap on standard output. EXAMPLES
gcc -o main.o $(g-wrap-config --c-compile-args guile) main.c is how you might use g-wrap-config to compile a C source file for an executable program. gcc -o my_app $(g-wrap-config --c-link-args guile) main.o util.o is how you might use g-wrap-config to link compiled objects into an executable program. AUTHOR
G-Wrap has been written by Andreas Rottmann, Rob Browning and Christopher Lee. This manual page was written by Andreas Rottmann, originally for the Debian Project. G-Wrap 1.9 2005-05-01 g-wrap-config(1)