Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compiling UNIX System V
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compiling UNIX System V Post 303031224 by hicksd8 on Sunday 24th of February 2019 07:06:00 AM
Old 02-24-2019
This is a rare question indeed for this forum.

What are you trying to do???? And why???????

You are missing the point here my friend. You downloaded the entire source code for your O/S of choice so you have the source code of the C compiler, the source code of all shared libraries, the source code for the shells, et al. You do not have any executables!!!

So the question that you are really asking is:
Q: How do I compile a compiler without a compiler?
A: You need to 'seed' the operation via a closely related Unix/Linux version. Install a closely related foreign version and compile the entire toolchain first. Having generated your toolchain this way, you then need to compile the toolchain AGAIN using the tools that you just generated because, for example, all your libraries will have been created cross-compiled. To get them pure you need to do it all a third time.

Once you've got a complete toolchain you can begin to compile your kernel (bespoke or not, as your choice). When the kernel is created you can install grub and boot your own kernel. Then you can continue to create all other application and things.

So, what are you trying to do? Compiling your kernel can take hundreds of hours at 100% CPU. Then you test it, realize it's wrong, and have to do it all again. It's very difficult to create bespoke O/S for multi-nationals, public services, defense contractors, etc which I know to my cost. I do it all the time. You also need an extensive knowledge of O/S internals so it's not an easy occupation.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

compiling Oracle Forms in UNIX-solaris

I am using the command: f60gen to complie a form and it says it does not work Pls help, as I am trying to compile a few .fmb files to fmx... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compiling idl file on unix

hi i need to compile idl files to convert them to classes, on Unix platform. Please tell me how to compile these files & which commands are to be used for this purpose. Thanks & Regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling scripts written in Unix

I would like to convert some Unix scripts into machine language. I dont know how to programe in C. Is there any software out there that I can use to convert these Unix scripts into machine language. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coburn
1 Replies

4. Programming

compiling c program in unix

if somebody can help me pls. i need the source code for a shell which compiles C or java programs in unix i need a very short and simple one, just the compiling part Respect (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlatan005
2 Replies

5. Programming

Problem compiling c file on unix

HI, I have a proc installation. On running the following 3 commands, I successfully get 3 C files. proc char_map=string util.pc proc char_map=string FDRFeedMain.pc proc char_map=string NonMons.pc This gives me util.c FDRFeedMain.c NonMons.c Now when i try to compile the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: allah_waris45
6 Replies

6. Programming

Compiling Pro*C program under unix

Hello, I am trying to compile a Pro*C program under unix: proc iname=test.pc works fine but then I am not able to compile the test.c file : gcc test.c -o test.o -L $ORACLE_HOME/lib -l clntsh /usr/bin/ld: Object file format error in: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0.2.0/lib:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsmrmd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling Kernel for an Embedded System

-----Edit----- My original post was long and confusing. To sum it up, I am wondering how to do the following Debian based commands on an RPM type system. dpkg -i XXX.deb update-initramfs -k xxx -c update-grub I hope someone can provide some insight. Thanks in advance! --------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sakenxx
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling tools for unix machine using C

Hello everyone i have a script written in C and i need to compile it in a unix machine i am a first time programmer and i do not know how to compile this and also i need to save the results in a table please help we normally use instructions like build_bb -f but now im confused i dnt knw hw to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeVGuL
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling error in UNIX

Hi, I'm trying to compile the code for a program and I run into the following error, ncfile.h: In constructor ‘ncfile::NcAttribute<T>::NcAttribute(const std::string&, const char*)': ncfile.h:357: error: there are no arguments to ‘strlen' that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstephens
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compiling Android system on Linux MInt

i have been trying to compile an android Marshmello system with no success. every time i try to compile i get this error javac: invalid source release: 1.7s Usage: javac <options> <source files> make: *** Error 41 #### make failed to build some targets (03:04 (mm:ss)) ####... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gearm
2 Replies
ARCHIVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ARCHIVE(8)

NAME
archive - Usenet article archiver SYNOPSIS
archive [ -a archive ] [ -f ] [ -i index ] [ -m ] [ -r ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Archive makes copies of files specified on its standard input. It is normally run either as a channel feed under innd(8), or by a script before expire(8) is run. Archive reads the named input file, or standard input if no file is given. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines should specify the name of a file to archive. If a filename is not an absolute pathname, it is taken to be relative to /var/spool/news. Files are copied to a directory within the archive directory, /var/spool/news/news.archive. The default is to create a hierarchy that mim- ics the input files; intermediate directories will be created as needed. For example, the input file comp/sources/unix/2211 (article 2211 in the newsgroup comp.sources.unix) will be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp/sources/unix/2211. OPTIONS
-a archive If the ``-a'' flag is used then its argument specifies the directory to archive in instead of the default. -f If the ``-f'' flag is used, then all directory names will be flattened out, replacing the slashes with periods. In this case, the file would be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp.sources.unix/2211. -i If the ``-i'' flag is used, then archive will append one line to the specified index file for each article that it copies. This line will contain the destination name and the Message-ID and Subject headers. -m Files are copied by making a link. If that fails a new file is created. If the ``-m'' flag is used, then the file will be copied to the destination, and the input file will be replaced with a symbolic link pointing to the new file. -r By default, archive sets its standard error to /var/log/news/errlog. To suppress this redirection, use the ``-r'' flag. EXIT STATUS
If the input is exhausted, archive will exit with a zero status. If an I/O error occures, it will try to spool its input, copying it to a file. If there was no input filename, the standard input will be copied to /var/spool/news/out.going/archive and the program will exit. If an input filename was given, a temporary file named input.bch (if input is an absolute pathname) or /var/spool/news/out.going/input.bch (if the filename does not begin with a slash) is created. Once the input is copied, archive will try to rename this temporary file to be the name of the input file, and then exit. EXAMPLES
A typical newsfeeds(5) entry to archive most source newsgroups is as follows: source-archive :!*,*sources*,!*wanted*,!*.d :Tc,Wn :/usr/lib/news/bin/archive -f -i /usr/spool/news/news.archive/INDEX HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.14, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5). ARCHIVE(8)