Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combining multiple greps
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Combining multiple greps Post 303031194 by Xubuntu56 on Saturday 23rd of February 2019 08:34:24 AM
Old 02-23-2019
Is there a "gray area" between grepping and globbing?
A moment ago I just read that "The moral of the story is that grep never uses globbing." (see link)
I also thought I had it straight in my mind that globbing is for filenames, and grepping is for searching text within a file.
Yet my first post above asks for help grepping filenames!

Globbing and Regex: So Similar, So Different | Linux Journal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple lines

I am fairly new to scripting. But I have been able to extract and format all of my information required into one file. My issue is that one character is on a separate line. I need to be able to add the character to the previous line. ex. abcdefghi 1 bcdefghij 3 cdefghijk 4 need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DUST
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Combining Multiple Lines into one

Before I ask my actual question, is it going to be a problem that I want to run this process on a 15 Gig file that is ~140 million rows? What I'm trying to do: I have a file that looks like Color,Type,Count,Day Yellow,Full 5 Tuesday Green,Half 6 Wednesday Purple,Half 8 Tuesday ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldfish
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple commands

Hi Guys, I am looking to optimze these 5 SSH lines to a single SSH to get my machine to not hang! lol! cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} top -b > util/{}.top &' >> r_query_info cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} uname -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wick3dsunny
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple files into one with the same name/different extension

I've been trying to find information in regard to creating a script that will generate HTML files. I currently have a series of files that contain code I need to surround with a <textarea> tag for easy viewing. I have about a thousand files that contain code, one file that contains the HTML code up... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12o
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple variables into new variable

Hello, I am a new joiner to the forum, and have what i hope is a simple question, however I can't seem to find the answer so maybe it is not available within bash scripting. I intend to use the below script to archive files from multiple directories at once by using a loop, and a variable (n)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dring
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining multiple sed statements

I need to run a cronjob that will monitor a directory for files with a certain extension, when one appears I then need to run the below scripts How do I go about combining the following sed statements into one script? and also retain the original filename.? sed 's/71502FSC1206/\n&/g' # add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Scipting (New); Run multiple greps > multiple files

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, as you can probably tell... I'm also pretty new to scripting and writing any type of code. I needed to know exactly how I can grep for multiple strings, in files located in one directory, but I need each string to output to a separate file. So I'd... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: LDHB2012
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple files

I have 2 files. each having 3 coloums 1st field date as 20130322 2nd field time as 05:55 3rd field numberic value File 2 has entries missing for some date time. FILE1 20130322 05:35 2219 20130322 05:40 1809 20130322 05:45 1617 20130322 05:50 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepkmehra
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple seds into one awk

i'm trying to optimize my script. i have a lot of instances where i'm doing something like this: echo $blah | sed 's~ ~|~g' | sed 's-_space_- -g' | sed 's-_LP_-(-g' | sed 's-_RP_-)-g' obviously, this is very inefficient. i know i can combine into one sed command with something this, using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Combining multiple files into one

Hello Everyone, I have 4 different files (one column in each) that I'm trying to combine into 1 file with four columns. Having issues trying to get the columns to format properly. I have tried the following: paste file1 file2 file3 file4 | column -s $'\t' -t > results.txt paste file1 file2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malk71
1 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences compared to the "URI" class interface exist: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclasses of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path; same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc; same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery; same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components; same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters). o $url->params and $url->eparams methods. o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag; same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords; same as $uri->query_keywords; o $url->localpath with friends map to $uri->file o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr; same as $uri->to for mailto URI. o $url->groupart method for news URI. o $url->article; same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.8.0 2002-05-09 URI::URL(3)