Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command line overwrite
Operating Systems SCO Command line overwrite Post 303031139 by RudiC on Friday 22nd of February 2019 04:17:22 AM
Old 02-22-2019
I'm afraid you need to run a shell that uses the readline library or equivalent, like e.g. bash. You obviously have the unadorned sh running, the grand parent of almost all shells.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overwrite

if i want to pipe output to a file, say, cat abc.dat > abc.txt, how do i make it replace the existing file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duckman
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite problem

Hi im using the following to copy a file to a directory, the user being prompted to overwrite if the file already exists in that directory, cp -i myfile /home/brief/bin2 but this reveals the path of the directory when being prompted to overwrite (below) cp: overwrite... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali999
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to overwrite

Hi, i have a file ver.sql with the following contents , Here i need to put a in the next line of END statment . So iam doing the following D:\>type ver.sql begin ctxsys.driimp.set_value('STOP_WORD','yours'); ctxsys.driimp.set_object('STORAGE','BASIC_STORAGE',2);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhdmehraj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite problem

my script is: awk '...mycode...' file1.txt > file2.txt and i want to overwrite file2.txt eachtime I run this script. but it says:File exists! :( I have tried awk '...mycode...' file1.txt >| file2.txt but it again says:Missing name for redirect! :confused::confused: what is this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better to Delete or Overwrite

Hello All, I had just a question about my Bash Script I'm currently writing. The script I have writes some text to a output file. After I write to the output file I send the file to another server to do some stuff with it. After the file sends in the script, I don't need the output/txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite bash system command

Hello, The problem I met is the conflict between the default command /usr/bin/sometools, which is an very old version at system setup, and an updated one I have installed in $HOME/download-software/sometools How do I tell a third program to use the customized sometools instead of the default... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)