Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash variable available for use outside loop Post 303031106 by wisecracker on Thursday 21st of February 2019 03:21:32 PM
Old 02-21-2019
I don't quite understand what you mean exactly but i assume on program rerun you wish to reuse $p from the previous run.
Try saving it as a source file and calling it at any time. I have used the '/tmp/' directory to store the sourcefile in this demo...

Code:
echo '#!/bin/bash' > /tmp/sourcefile
echo "p=${p}" >> /tmp/sourcefile

And source at anytime in any bash shell:
Code:
source /tmp/sourcefile

Example longhand: OSX 10.14.1, default bash terminal.
Code:
Last login: Thu Feb 21 20:10:56 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> p="/usr/bin/local/"
AMIGA:amiga~> echo '#!/bin/bash' > /tmp/sourcefile
AMIGA:amiga~> echo "p=${p}" >> /tmp/sourcefile
AMIGA:amiga~> exit
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Restart a terminal:
Code:
Last login: Thu Feb 21 20:17:07 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> echo "$p"

AMIGA:amiga~> source /tmp/sourcefile
AMIGA:amiga~> echo "$p"
/usr/bin/local/
AMIGA:amiga~> exit
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

If this is not what you want then re-explain...
Hope this helps...

Last edited by wisecracker; 02-21-2019 at 04:31 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with 3 variable bash loop

Hi all! I think someone might be able to solve my problem pretty easily. I am trying to run a bash loop with 3 variables. I know how to do: for var1 in `cat list1`; do for var2 in `cat list2`; do for var3 in `cat list3`; command var1 var2 > var3; done; done; done However, this will run all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detail on For loop for multiple file input and bash variable usage

Dear mentors, I just need little explanation regarding for loop to give input to awk script for file in `ls *.txt |sort -t"_" -k2n,2`; do awk script $file done which sorts file in order, and will input one after another file in order to awk script suppose if I have to input 2 or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

7. Programming

Global variable in for loop (BASH)

Hello, I'm trying to read the variable "pause" from a for loop without luck. The function is dependant on the outcome of the test within the loop. If i run this, pause is always 0 within the function. Any ideas? Thanks. pause=0 users=1 (for (( ; ; )) do speed=`cat speed.log` ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for loop with arrays second variable?

I am fairly new to bash and am not sure how to resolve this: I have a series of geographical long/lat points eg. 50/-30 listed on separate lines in a file called junk2. I have input these into an array and am then using that array in a for loop. Towards the end of the loop I create a file called... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lily-anne
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
MEGATRON(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MEGATRON(1)

NAME
megatron, unhex, unbin, unsingle, hqx2bin, single2bin, macbinary - Macintosh file format transformer SYNOPSIS
megatron [ sourcefile... ] unbin [ sourcefile... ] unhex [ sourcefile... ] unsingle [ sourcefile... ] hqx2bin [ sourcefile... ] single2bin [ sourcefile... ] macbinary [ sourcefile... ] DESCRIPTION
megatron is used to transform files from BinHex, MacBinary, AppleSingle, or netatalk style AppleDouble formats into MacBinary or netatalk style AppleDouble formats. The netatalk style AppleDouble format is the file format used by afpd, the netatalk Apple Filing Protocol (AppleShare) server. BinHex, MacBinary, and AppleSingle are commonly used formats for transferring Macintosh files between machines via email or file transfer protocols. megatron uses its name to determine what type of tranformation is being asked of it. If megatron is called as unhex, unbin, or unsingle, it tries to convert file(s) from BinHex, MacBinary, or AppleSingle into AppleDouble format. BinHex is the format most often used to send Macintosh files by e-mail. Usually these files have an extension of ".hqx". MacBi- nary is the format most often used by terminal emulators "on the fly" when transferring Macintosh files in binary mode. MacBinary files often have an extension of ".bin". Some Macintosh LAN-based email packages use uuencoded AppleSingle format to "attach" or "enclose" files in email. AppleSingle files don't have a standard filename extension. If megatron is called as hqx2bin, single2bin, or macbinary, it will try to convert the file(s) from BinHex, AppleSingle, or AppleDouble into MacBinary. This last translation may be useful in moving Macintosh files from your afpd server to some other machine when you can't copy them from the server using a Macintosh for some reason. If megatron is called with any other name, it uses the default translation, namely unhex. If no source file is given, or if sourcefile is `-', and if the conversion is from a BinHex or MacBinary file, megatron will read from standard input. The filename used to store any output file is the filename that is encoded in the source file. MacBinary files are created with a ".bin" extension. In the case of conflicts, the old file is overwritten! SEE ALSO
afpd(8) netatalk 1.2 8 Jan 1992 MEGATRON(1)