Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows Post 303031035 by Corona688 on Wednesday 20th of February 2019 04:04:58 PM
Old 02-20-2019
Linux was such a hack back then because those ancient machines were a mishmash of old and new designs, never implemented the same way twice.. Manufacturers didn't feel a need to publish proper specs because BIOS extensions were mostly "good enough" to nursemaid whatever archaic non-Windows OS you had into the 21st century. That is to say, device drivers, included in the form of little microchips to be read upon boot...! Nowdays the BIOS is basically gone and drivers are taken a little more seriously.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how To edit exe to insert a serial no wich can be usd by runing exe

At time of installation I have to open the resource. and i have to insert a string serial number in the exe. please provide me code to edit the exe (in solaris) to insert a serial number which can be used by exe at run time. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssahu
6 Replies

2. Programming

how to start a c++ exe on unix from windows.

I'm very new to c++ & unix programming. I have a c++ exe that runs on the unix box, but I am trying to write a c++ windows app that executes the program on unix. I have tried execv(), but it doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong. Would really like to see examples if at all possible. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch5082
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple instances of windows exe from unix

Hi, I have a requirement to run multiple instances of an .exe file present in windows server from unix machine. The number of threads to be invoked is determined dynamically based on a variable field. We will be passing some parameters to windows .exe file for each instance. I am a unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
2 Replies

4. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

5. Programming

how can I get to know what threads run within process java.exe on windows

I am writing java application on windows. There are more than 100 threads run within java.exe. I want to know what threads run within process java.exe so that I can find out if there are abnormal java threads. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mika
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows exe file fails when triggered from ssh

Hi, I am triggering a windows exe file using the below command. ssh user@remoteserver command.exe -option1:xx /option2:yy This command is working fine from windows command prompt. When I am triggering the same command from ssh I get the error message cant load Any ideas to deal with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cant get responsive terminal when I ssh from Windows to Linux using putty.exe

I ssh from Windows to Linux server and execute a few commands. I have ssh keys setup between them and works fine. The commands get executed on the Linux server however I wish to stay on the Linux terminal that was opened by putty.exe. However, the terminal simply does the job and closes. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies
PNPBIOS(4)						 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						PNPBIOS(4)

NAME
pnpbios -- support for embedded devices on the motherboard DESCRIPTION
The pnpbios driver enumerates embedded ISA devices on the motherboard whose BIOS supports ``Plug and Play BIOS Specification''. It assigns ISA bus resources (interrupt line, DMA channel, I/O ports, and memory region) to each device and activates it. If it cannot assign necessary resources to a device without causing conflict with other devices in the system, the device will not be acti- vated and will be unavailable to programs. CAVEATS
There is no explicit way to disable individual embedded devices. The pnpbios driver will find all devices reported by the ``Plug and Play (PnP)'' BIOS and try to activate them all. There is no way to explicitly assign particular resource to a device. The resource assignment is fully automatic and there is no provision for manual override. SEE ALSO
pnp(4) STANDARDS
Compaq, Phenix, and Intel, Plug and Play BIOS Specification Version 1.0A, May 5, 1994. Compaq, Phenix, and Intel, Plug and Play BIOS CLARIFICATION Paper for Plug and Play BIOS Specification Version 1.0A, October 6, 1994. HISTORY
The pnpbios driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The pnpbios driver was written by Mike Smith. BSD
September 20, 2001 BSD