Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Combine GetOpt And Variadic Function In C Post 303030978 by Azrael on Wednesday 20th of February 2019 06:07:23 AM
Old 02-20-2019
Combine GetOpt And Variadic Function In C

Been a while since my last post. Had a laptop die with my last project and still working to get it back. In the meantime I started another.

In my main function I define some arguments with getopt:
Code:
int main ( int argc, char **argv) {
  int option_index = 0;
  char *fname = "./commands";

if(argc == 1){ 
	  //pass: error defined in file_open function.
	  file_open(fname);
  } 

while(optind < argc) {
  if(( option_index = getopt(argc, argv, "f:h:u:p:k:o:w:e")) != -1){	
   switch(option_index){
     case 'f':
       file_open(optarg);	     
       break;	     
     case 'h':
       host_open(optarg);
       break;
     case 'u':
       user_open(optarg);
       break;
     case 'p':
       port_open(optarg);
       break;
     case 'w':
       pass_open(optarg);
       break;
     default:
      usage();
      break;
     } 
   }
   else {
      file_open(fname);
      optind++;
   }
}

return 0;
}

The above is missing some optional arguments for brevity. Since there were optional arguments, I found I would need to use a variadic function with something like this:
Code:
void args(char *howmany, ...){

va_list ap;
  char *host, *user, *pass, *port;
  va_start(ap, howmany);

while(*howmany) { 
     switch(*(howmany++)){
	     case 'h':
		host = va_arg(ap, char *);		
		printf("%s\n", host);
		break;
	     case 'u':
		user = va_arg(ap, char *);
		printf("%s\n", user);
		break;
	     case 'w':
		pass = va_arg(ap, char *);
		printf("%s\n", pass);
		break;
	     case 'p':
	        port = va_arg(ap, char *);
	        printf("%s\n", port);
	        break;
	     }	
  }

va_end(ap);  

}

Looking at these I could see they were very similar with their switch statements. Instead of calling a function from main and then using that function to call the variadic function, it seems there should be a way to combine them. I'm just having trouble getting the logic/syntax for this and not finding much with my google searches.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

question about getopt()

I'm using getopt() to get command line options.One the optons accepts and argument.The argument is and offset.I was wondering how can I scecify that it's argument is of the type off_t.I've something like this "offset=(off_t)optarg" and it don't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelfly
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

scriptname i have made a script to perform so tasks and i managed to complete the tasks for all the options the problem i am facing is that i can run the scripts individually but i would like to make it such that it can accept multiple options and give me the appropriate output e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt

#!/bin/sh set -- `getopt "abco:" "$@"` a= b= c= o= while : do case "$1" in -a) a=1;; -b) b=1;; -c) c=1;; -o) shift; o="$1";; --) break;; esac shift done shift # get rid of -- # rest of script... # e.g. ls -l $@ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

I m trying to use getopt This is my script, but it doesn't take argument in variable, Please help. set - - `getopt mscl: $*` if then echo "Exiting...." exit 2 fi for i in $* do case $i in -m) MAIL="$i"; shift;; -s) SCRIPT=$OPTARG; shift;; -c) COB=$OPTARG; shift;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

:) Can anybody help me about how to use getopt in shell scripting. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
3 Replies

6. Solaris

use of getopt command

Hi All, Could anyone tell me how to use getopt command.....? Thanks, Pintu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintupatro
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getopt

Hi, I want to use the getopt function to parse some arguments for a script. while getopts "i:f:r:" OPTION do case $OPTION in i) iter=$OPTARG;; f) frame=$OPTARG;; r) roi=$OPTARG;; ?) echo Usage: ...... exit 2;; esac done However, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Variadic macros compilation error HP C on HP-UX

I have a macro defined like this: #define MM7_RETURN(errorNr, ...) \ { \ if(errorNr != MM7_RS_NoError) \ { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marzullo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt in CSH

I am struggling to understand how getopt can be used in a csh script. can anybody post a csh script using getopt. Please! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopt Help

Hi All, An old work friend wrote a script which I've been trying to understand how a section of it currently works and work out how i can add some command line switches which i can use later in the script to append the output depending on the command line arguements. Currently it works by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies
getopt(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 getopt(3)

NAME
getopt - Gets flag letters from the argument vector LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int getopt( int argc, char * const argv[], const char *optstring); extern char *optarg; extern int optind; extern int opterr; extern int optopt; STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: getopt(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the number of parameters passed to the routine. Points to an array of argc pointers to argument strings. Specifies a string of recognized flag characters. If a character is followed by a : (colon), the flag is expected to take a parameter that may or may not be separated from it by white space. DESCRIPTION
The getopt() function parses argument lists. It returns the next flag character in the argv parameter list that matches a character in the optstring parameter. If that flag takes an argument, the getopt() function has the optarg variable point to the flag argument according to the following rules: If the flag is the last character pointed to by an argv element, optarg will contain argv's next element, and optind is incremented by 2. The getopt() function returns an error if the resulting optind is greater than or equal to argc. If the flag is not the last character, then the optarg variable points to the string after the flag character in the associated element of argv. The optind variable is incremented by 1. The optarg external variable is set to point to the start of the flag's parameter on return from the getopt() function. The getopt() function places the argv index of the next argument to be processed in optind. The optind variable is externally initialized to 1 before the first call to getopt() so that argv[0] is not processed. Error messages can be suppressed by providing a value of 0 (zero) as the opterr parameter. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] The external int optopt variable is set to the real flag found in the argv parameter. This is true whether the flag is in the optstring parameter or not. EXAMPLES
The following example shows a suggested way to use the getopt() function. #include <unistd.h> main(argc, argv) int argc; char *argv[]; #define ARGS "r:w:f:s" { int c, errflg = 0; int readers = 1, writers = 1; int freeBufs = 1; int doStats = FALSE; optarg = NULL; while (!errflg && ((c = getopt(argc, argv, ARGS)) != -1)) switch (c) { case 'r' : readers = atoi(optarg); break; case 'w' : writers = atoi(optarg); break; case 'f' : freeBufs = atoi(optarg); break; case 's' : doStats = TRUE; break; default : errflg++; } RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the getopt() function returns the flag character that was detected. If the function encounters a flag that is not included in the optstring parameter, or if the : (colon) character is used incorrectly, the getopt() function prints an error message on stderr and returns a ? (question mark). If there is a missing flag, the getopt() function returns a : (colon) if optstring's first character is a : (colon), and a ? (question mark) otherwise. In addition, the getopt() function sets the optopt variable to the flag char- acter that caused one of these errors. The getopt() function also displays a diagnostic message if the application did not set the opterr variable to 0 (zero), and optstring's first character is not a : (colon). When all flags have been processed (that is, up to the first nonflag argument), the getopt() function returns a value of -1. The special flag -- (dash dash) can be used to delimit the end of the flags; -1 is returned, and the -- (dash dash) string is skipped. The getopt() function does not change optind, and also returns a value of -1, if one of the following occurs: The argv[optind] result is NULL. The *argv[optind] result is not the special - (dash) flag. The argv[optind] result points to the - (dash) string. The getopt() function does increment optind if the result of argv[optind] points to the -- (dash dash) string. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: getopt(1) Standards: standards(5) delim off getopt(3)