Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value? Post 303030969 by RudiC on Wednesday 20th of February 2019 04:42:09 AM
Old 02-20-2019
In a recent shell, e.g. bash, all can be done with a "here string" and "parameter expansion: Pattern substitution", like

Code:
$ T=$'\001'                                                                        # set a token improbable to appear in file
$ while read LINE
    do    IFS=, read a b c d e f REST <<< ${LINE//\',\'/$T}                        # read from $LINE but with ',' replaced by token
          echo ${a//$T/,}:${b//$T/,}:${c//$T/,}:${d//$T/,}:${e//$T/,}:${f//$T/,}   # print variables with token replaced by comma
    done < file
abv:sfs::hju:,:jkk wff

Last edited by RudiC; 02-20-2019 at 05:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between comma separated fields from file

Hello all, I am a unix dummy. I am trying to remove spaces between fields. I have the file in the following format 12332432, 2345 , asdfsdf ,100216 , 9999999 12332431, 2341 , asdfsd2 ,100213 , 9999999 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinbjoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse apart strings of comma separated data with varying number of fields

I have a situation where I am reading a text file line-by-line. Those lines of data contain comma separated fields of data. However, each line can vary in the number of fields it can contain. What I need to do is parse apart each line and write each field of data found (left to right) into a file.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract comma separated value in unix

Hello All Can anyone please guide me how to solve the issue In the below code I am getting concat of two value in result variable with comma separated result=`sqlplus -s / <<EOF set pages 0 feed off; set feedback off; spool abc.txt select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting additional comma delimiters in a csv file, after and before certian fields.

Hello I have a csv file which I need to insert addtional commas into. The csv is of the format field1,field2,field3,field4,...etc...,field13,field14 I need to add extra commas in each record so that the final output looks like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamal_p_99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect in comma separated csv from grep

Hi, I am newbie in unix. Could someone tell me how do I redirect my grep output to a csv/excel ? I have used below command but the outputs are appearing in one column Not in different column. grep -e cmd -e cmd1 test.txt | cut -f 5 | sort | uniq -c> op.csv I do not understand how do I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help - comma inside double quote in comma separated csv,

Hello there, I have a comma separated csv , and all the text field is wrapped by double quote. Issue is some text field contain comma as well inside double quote. so it is difficult to process. Input in the csv file is , 1,234,"abc,12,gh","GH234TY",34 I need output like below,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttam Maji
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print - fields separated with comma's need to ignore inbetween double quotes

I am trying to re-format a .csv file using awk. I have 6 fields in the .csv file. Some of the fields are enclosed in double quotes and contain comma's inside the quotes. awk is breaking this into multiple fields. Sample lines from the .csv file: Device Name,Personnel,Date,Solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxrst
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two Fields if there's a comma between

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to combine two fields if there's a comma between them. What i did was, extract the records from database. file1.csv(extracted from db) 82|Supplies Station, Inc.|112012|KARISSA APPAREL, INC. - 112012|NON TRADE F/A AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse comma separated field and removing comma in between number and double quotes

Hi Experts, Please support I have below data in file in comma seperated, but 4th column is containing comma in between numbers, bcz of which when i tried to parse the file the column 6th value(5049641141) is being removed from the file and value(222.82) in column 5 becoming value of column6. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert fixed value fields to comma separated values

Hi All, Hope you are doing Great!!!. Today i have came up with a problem to say exactly it was for performance improvement. I have written code in perl as a solution for this to cut in specific range, but it is taking time to run for files thousands of lines so i am expecting a sed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
9 Replies
TM::Serializable::CSV(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				TM::Serializable::CSV(3pm)

NAME
TM::Serializable::CSV - Topic Maps, trait for parsing (and later dumping) CSV stream SYNOPSIS
# 1) bare bones my $tm = .....; # get a map from somewhere (can be empty) Class::Trait->apply ($tm, "TM::Serializable::CSV"); use Perl6::Slurp; $tm->deserialize (slurp 'myugly.csv'); # 2) exploiting the timed sync in/out mechanism my $tm = new TM::.... (url => 'file:myugly.csv'); # get a RESOURCEABLE map from somewhere $tm->sync_in; DESCRIPTION
This trait provides parsing and dumping from CSV formatted text streams. INTERFACE
Methods deserialize $tm->deserialize ($text) This method consumes the text string passed in and interprets it as CSV formatted information. What topic map information is generated, depends on the header line (the first line): o If the header line contains a field called "association-type", then all rows will be interpreted as assertions. In that the remaining header fields (in that order) are interpreted as roles (role types). For all rows in the CSV stream, the position where the "association-type" field was is ignored. The other fields (in that order) are affiliated with the corresponding roles. Example: association-type,location,bio-unit is-born,gold-coast,rumsti is-born,vienna,ramsti Scoping cannot be controlled. Also all players and roles (obviously) are directly interpreted as identifiers. Subject identifiers and locators are not (yet) implemented. o If the header line contains a field called "id", then all further rows will be interpreted as topic characteristics, with each topic on one line. The column position where the "id" field in the header is will be interpreted as toplet identifier. All further columns will be interpreted according to the following: o If the header column is named "name", the values will be used as topic names. o Otherwise if the value looks like a URI, an occurrence with that URI value will be be added to the topic. o Otherwise an occurrence with a string value will be added to the topic. Example: name,id,location,homepage "Rumsti",rumsti,gold-coast,http://rumsti.com "Ramsti",ramsti,vienna,http://ramsti.com serialize $tm->serialize [Since TM 1.53] This method serializes a fragment of a topic map into CSV. Which fragment can be controlled with the header line and options (see constructor). "header_line" (only for serialization) This string contains a comma separated list (CSV parseable) of headings. If one of the headings is "association-type", then the generated CSV content will contain associations only. Nothing else is implemented yet. The other headings control which roles (and in which order) should be included in the CSV content. If a particular role type has more than one player, then all players are included. NOTE: As this is inconsistent, this will have to change. "type" (only for serialization) If existing, then this controls which association type is to be taken. "baseuri" (only for serialization) If existing and non-zero, the base URI of the map will remain in the identifiers. Otherwise it will be removed. "specification" If existing (and when selecting only associations), this specification will be interpreted in the sense of "asserts" (see TM). Example: $tm->serialize (header_line => 'association-type,location,bio-unit', type => 'is-born', baseuri => 0); SEE ALSO
TM, TM::Serializable AUTHOR INFORMATION
Copyright 2010 Robert Barta. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.10.1 2012-06-05 TM::Serializable::CSV(3pm)