Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing JS and CSS
Top Forums Web Development Optimizing JS and CSS Post 303030914 by Akshay Hegde on Tuesday 19th of February 2019 06:40:10 AM
Old 02-19-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Hi Akshay,

First, let me say that I normally minimize CSS and Javascript using:
  • uglifyjs
  • uglifycss

and both seem to work fine.

Also, it's not really necessary, or even a good idea, to combine all JS files into one big JS minimize file for a number of reasons.

It is not good to "over optimize" and little really great comes of it, in my view.

Most sites like this are changing often and there is always a lot of Javascript code to write, modify, change and debug. Creating "mothers of all minimized Javascript files" make things "a nightmare" and it is better to smartly combine them, and that cannot be done by tool because we need to know that we are developing, where the issues are, what is changing, and what is static.

But anyway, I'm not focused on it and it is not on the site development critical path to worry about minimizing more JS and CSS. I have a lot more important functional code to write for the next month or so.

Cheers and Thanks!
I usually combine and minify them dynamically based on filetime, no issue even if you modify or change code it will work.

- create md5 hash of file to be combined and minified based on filetime.
- check filename with above generated hash exists.
- if exists just readfile otherwise combine and minify them and then serve to client.

One more probably you missed, "Toggle Forum Collapse" button plus symbol not changing when its expanded.

Last edited by Akshay Hegde; 02-19-2019 at 07:46 AM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove css comments

Is there a way that I can use sed to remove lines with css comments like this? /* comment */ (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravesit
9 Replies

2. Web Development

On Css

<html> <head> <style> div.box {width: 300px; height: 200px; padding: 30px; font: 46 pt times new roman;} </style> </head> <body> <div class="box" style=" filter": progid:DXImagetransform.Microsoft.Alpha (Opacity=100, FinishOpacity=0, Style=1, StartX=0, FinishX=0,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: N-Training
0 Replies

3. Web Development

HTML down, CSS help, ahhhh

I am having some problems. I have been able to learn HTML, but when I try and encode CSS, nothing happens, what is the major issue here. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> <html> <head> <title>MY CSS</title> <style... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: N-Training
7 Replies

4. Web Development

CSS frameworks

I have been reading up on CSS frameworks, to see if it could be useful for an intranet that I am helping to build, but the true purpose does not become clear to me. What circumstances would the deployment of a CSS framework be useful in? What does a CSS framework do that a CMS template cannot do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figaro
1 Replies
CSS::Minifier(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CSS::Minifier(3pm)

NAME
CSS::Minifier - Perl extension for minifying CSS SYNOPSIS
To minify a CSS file and have the output written directly to another file use CSS::Minifier qw(minify); open(INFILE, 'myStylesheet.css') or die; open(OUTFILE, 'myStylesheet.css') or die; minify(input => *INFILE, outfile => *OUTFILE); close(INFILE); close(OUTFILE); To minify a CSS string literal. Note that by omitting the outfile parameter a the minified code is returned as a string. my minifiedCSS = minify(input => 'div {font-family: serif;}'); To include a copyright comment at the top of the minified code. minify(input => 'div {font-family: serif;}', copyright => 'BSD License'); The "input" parameter is manditory. The "output" and "copyright" parameters are optional and can be used in any combination. DESCRIPTION
This module removes unnecessary whitespace from CSS. The primary requirement developing this module is to not break working stylesheets: if working CSS is in input then working CSS is output. The Mac/Internet Explorer comment hack will be minimized but not stripped and so will continue to function. This module understands space, horizontal tab, new line, carriage return, and form feed characters to be whitespace. Any other characters that may be considered whitespace are not minimized. These other characters include paragraph separator and vertical tab. For static CSS files, it is recommended that you minify during the build stage of web deployment. If you minify on-the-fly then it might be a good idea to cache the minified file. Minifying static files on-the-fly repeatedly is wasteful. EXPORT None by default. Exportable on demand: minifiy() SEE ALSO
This project is developed using an SVN repository. To check out the repository svn co http://dev.michaux.ca/svn/random/CSS-Minifier You may also be interested in the JavaScript::Minifier module also available on CPAN. AUTHORS
Peter Michaux, <petermichaux@gmail.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007 by Peter Michaux This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.6 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.12.3 2007-08-03 CSS::Minifier(3pm)