Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner Post 303030894 by newbie_01 on Monday 18th of February 2019 09:37:34 PM
Old 02-18-2019
Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all,

In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields.

So to get around this, I have to create some header file and combine the output from the non-header output and the header only output. This is working fine, I am just curious if there is a shorter version of the command that I am using to create the header line.

Here is what I am doing at the moment.

Below is the header text file doing a describe of the table:

Code:
$: cat a.txt
 Name                                      Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 USERNAME                                  NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30 CHAR)
 ROLENAME                                  NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30 CHAR)
 SWITCHROLE                                NOT NULL VARCHAR2(1 CHAR)

And this is the command that I am using to convert the content of a.txt to a header file

Code:
$: awk 'NR > 2' a.txt | awk '{ print $1 }' | grep -v "^$" | paste -d"|" -s - | awk -F"|" '{ printf "%-30s|%-30s|%-15s\n", $1, $2, $3 }' | tee -a a.header.txt
USERNAME                      |ROLENAME                      |SWITCHROLE

Then I do a cat a.header.txt a.out.txt > a.xls. Sample a.out.txt is as below:

Code:
MICKEY                        |XX_AR_COLLECTZZ_INQUIRY       |N
DONALD                        |YY_AA_TEAMMBR                 |N

Final output is as below:

Code:
USERNAME                      |ROLENAME                      |SWITCHROLE
MICKEY                        |XX_AR_COLLECTZZ_INQUIRY       |N
DONALD                        |YY_AA_TEAMMBR                 |N

While what am doing at the moment works fine, just want to know if there is a more shorter way of doing it :-)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a hand. Please?

i have a script in sh. with awk, e.g. want to list all the contents of a subdirectory an a tabular way. ej: outoput directory1 subdirectory1 subdirectory2 subdirectory3 file1 filen file2 filez file2 ... filen+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

4. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shorter AWK for my code?

Hi Folks, I know my code works, but I'm still a newbie at arrays and how they function. Is there is shorter way to write my code? I'm taking averages in multiple files and concatenating output into 1 file. TIA! for file in *; do awk -F"\t" '{a1+=$1}{a2+=$2}{a3+=$3} {a4+=$4}{a5+=$5}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: calitiggr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting shorter lines from data file

Hello, I have the following data file structure: 1234 text 2345 text 3456 text text text 4567 text text text 5678 text text text 6789 text text text I simply want to delete all of the lines that only have one text column (i.e. the first two lines in this case). The output would be:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palex
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace regex Perl one liner to AWK one liner

Thanks for giving your time and effort to answer questions and helping newbies like me understand awk. I have a huge file, millions of lines, so perl takes quite a bit of time, I'd like to convert these perl one liners to awk. Basically I'd like all lines with ISA sandwiched between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine columns from many files but keep them aligned in columns-shorter left column issue

Hello everyone, I searched the forum looking for answers to this but I could not pinpoint exactly what I need as I keep having trouble. I have many files each having two columns and hundreds of rows. first column is a string (can have many words) and the second column is a number.The files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isildur1234
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)