Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find replace text in xml file on the fly Post 303030527 by guddu_12 on Tuesday 12th of February 2019 11:17:49 AM
Old 02-12-2019
Find replace text in xml file on the fly

Dear Unix guru,

I have a .XML file which is being used to load data to oracle. This file comes on unix box and one of the tag in xml is oracle key word. I want to find that tag and replace with new tag on the fly
For example
I will get one of the tag in xml is as below
Code:
<from>Test Test 123</from>

since "from" is oracle key word i am having difficulties to read this so i want to replace this as below
Code:
<from_msg> Test Test 123</from_msg>

I also want to check various point like
<from > , < from > , < from>
i guess there can be space between tag and text.

I am not at all unix guy so can write any shell scripts, Any small scripts would really help me to keep moving

Thanks for the understanding

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!
You have SIX infractions by now for not using them; it's just because you were absent for >2 years that this note has become a small informal reminder only!

Last edited by RudiC; 02-12-2019 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a text inside a file based on a xml key

<c-param> <param-name>Number</param-name> <param-value>22</param-value> <description>my house number</description> </c-param> <c-param> <param-name>Address</param-name> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/Replace in XML file

I am not sure how to approach this find/replace using a shell script. Any help or guidance appreciated. I want to find this: <objects/> <thumb>thumb_0001.jpg</thumb> <preview>preview_0001.jpg</preview> And replace with something like this: <objects>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimraynor
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text inside XML file based on condition

Hi All, I want to change the name as SEQ_13 ie., <Property Name="Name">SEQ_13</Property> when the Stage Type is PxSequentialFile ie., <Property Name="StageType">PxSequentialFile</Property> :wall: Input.XML <Main> <Record Identifier="V0S13" Type="CustomStage" Readonly="0">... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find from file and replace with specific text

Dear All, I do not have any knowledge of scripting. I want to replace specific lines of a text file with a specific text. Like I have one file which is "original file" and one file "changes file" which has list of lines which I want to replace in original file with a specific string. I want the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libras
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Node and replace line(s) preceding in xml file

Hello, I have an xml file whose contacts are like below: <Node>Apple <B>Value1</B> <B>Value2</B> <B>Value3</B> </Node> <Node>Mango <B>Value1</B> <B>Value2</B> <B>Value3</B> </Node> <Node>Apple <B>Value1</B> <B>Value2</B> <B>Value3</B> </Node> <Node>Bannana (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find and replace the line in text file

I have two files a.txt b.txt I want to find a line in a.txt and replace by another line from b.txt a.txt asfsdfsfsfdfsf asfwererfgdgf wrerwetretfdg b.txt werdfgdfgf werergfdgd sfdfgfgfgfgg i want to replace the 1st line of a.txt by 1st line of b.txt i want out put as (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
5 Replies

7. Linux

Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file.

Please help me, wasted hrs:wall:, to find this soulution:- I need a command that will work on file (xml) and replace multiple occurrence (more than 2 times) Examples 1. '===' 2. '====' 3. '=======' should be replaced by just '==' Note :- single character should be replaced. (=... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in xml

Hi All, My XML file looks like below: <logEvent xsi:type="logservice:LogEvent" timestamp="1394713811052" severity="3" messageCode="TM_6228" message="Writing session output to log file ." user="" stacktrace="" service="" serviceType="IS" clientNode="dev" pid="712" threadName="DIRECTOR"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in a text file

Dear all, I want to find all the "," in my text file and then replace the commas to a tab. I found a script online but I don't know how to modify the script for my case. Any one can help? Thank you. @echo off &setlocal set "search=%1" set "replace=%2" set "textfile=Input.txt" set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

10. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)

NAME
XML::Smart::Tutorial - Tutorial and examples for XML::Smart. SYNOPSIS
This document is a tutorial for XML::Smart and shows some examples of usual things. Working with contents: In XML::Smart the key CONTENT is reserved and shouldn't be used directly, since XML::Smart will deal with the convertion of arguments to node contents, including multiple node contents autimatically. What happens when you set a value: $xml->{root}{foo} = 'simple value' ; Here foo will be a normal argument/attribute value, and will generate this XML data: <root foo="simple value"/> But if you insert some tag or lines in the values by default XML::Smart will convert it to a node content: $xml->{root}{foo} = "line0 lien1 line2 " ; And will generate that XML data: <root> <foo>line0 lien1 line2 </foo> </root> But what you can do if you want to force some type, let's say, have a node content with a simple value: $xml->{root}{foo} = 'simple value' ; $xml->{root}{foo}->set_node(1) ; And will generate that XML data: <root> <foo>simple value</foo> </root> Multiple contents: When you have interpolated content/data you need to work in a different. Let's say that you load this XML data: <root> content0 <tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> If you access directly the root key as string you will get all the content parts grouped. So, this code: my $xml = new XML::Smart(q` <root> content0 <tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> `,'smart') ; print "#$xml->{root}#" ; Will print that: # content0 content1 # To access each part of the content independently you should use an array that receive the method content(): my @content = $xml->{root}->content ; print "#$content[0]# " ; And this will print that: # content0 # Now to set the multiple content values you should use the method content() with 2 arguments: $xml->{root}->content(0,'new content') ; And now the XML data produced will be: <root>new content<tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> If you use the method content() with only one argument it will remove all the multiple contents and will set the new value in the place of the 1st content. Setting the XML Parser. By defaul XML::Smart will use XML::Parser or XML::Smart::Parser (in this order of preference) to load a XML data. To force or define by your self the parser you can use the 2nd argument option when creating a XML::Smart object: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Parser' ) ; ## and my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Smart::Parser' ) ; XML::Smart also has an extra parser, XML::Smart::HTMLParser, that can be used to load HTML as XML, or to load wild XML data: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Smart::HTMLParser' ) ; Aliases for the parser options: SMART|REGEXP => XML::Smart::Parser HTML => XML::Smart::HTMLParser So, you can use as: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'smart' ) ; my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'html' ) ; Customizing the Parser. You can customize the way that the parser will treat the XML data: Forcing nodes/tags and arguments/attributes to lowercase or upercase: ## For lower case: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , lowtag => 1 , lowarg => 1 , ) ; ## For uper case: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , upertag => 1 , uperarg => 1 , ) ; Loading arguments without values (flags) as a TRUE boolean: ** Note, this option will work only when the XML is parsed by XML::Smart::HTMLParser, since only it accept arguments without values! my $xml = new XML::Smart( '<root><foo arg1="" flag></root>' , 'XML::Smart::HTMLParser' , arg_single => 1 , ) ; Here's the tree of the example above: 'root' => { 'foo' => { 'flag' => 1, 'arg1' => '' }, }, Customizing the parse events: XML::Smart can redirect the parsing process to personalized functions: my $xml = XML::Smart->new( 'some.xml' , on_start => &on_start , on_char => &on_char , on_end => &on_end , ) ; sub on_start { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back ) = @_ ; $pointer->{$tag}{type_user} = 1 if $tag =~ /(?:name|age)/ ; } sub on_char { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back , $content) = @_ ; $$content =~ s/s+/ /gs ; } sub on_end { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back ) = @_ ; $pointer->{$tag}{type_extra} = 1 if $tag =~ /(?:more|tel|address)/ ; } AUTHOR
Graciliano M. P. <gm@virtuasites.com.br> I will appreciate any type of feedback (include your opinions and/or suggestions). ;-P Enjoy and thanks for who are enjoying this tool and have sent e-mails! ;-P ePod This document was written in ePod (easy-POD), than converted to POD, and from here you know the way. perl v5.10.1 2004-12-08 XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)