Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Things i Hate (Or: Rants by an Old Man) Post 303030392 by Neo on Friday 8th of February 2019 09:41:57 PM
Old 02-08-2019
Actually, I had a long conversation with a world famous neuroscientist on this topic last year (or maybe it was the year before) working on my favorite cybersecurity project.

We both agreed that the core problem is the move and continued trend by commercial companies, driven-by-profit motives, to debase humans in favor of machines.

The entire push for "AI" is a debasement of humans in a favor or machines, in fact, because machines are cheaper to employ and easier to manage that humans. Humans require more care than machines. Humans are expensive compared to machines. I'm not talking about robotics assembling products like cars and electronics. That is a job well suited for a machine. I'm talking about tasks which require the human mind and the human experience, like editing news, writing reports, creating content, and all the other arts and sciences humans are so good at doing.

This is why Google, Facebook and most of the high-flying tech giants have such high stock prices and are so wealthy and at the same time push fake news, copyright violations, and offensive content to all of us; because they are using machines to do things that machines cannot do well. They do this to increase profit. They hire engineers to write AI which does not work well because they do not want to hire the legions of humans it would take to do the job correctly.

If these high tech, high flying companies would reduce their dependency on "Bad AI" and train and hire legions humans to view, review, edit and filter the content on their networks (like YouTube and Facebook for example) society would benefit because many more humans would have good jobs in tech who are not engineers and scientists; and users would benefit because the amount of "garbage and misinformation" we see flowing on the social and media networks would go down . However the downside is that the profits of these rich, high-flying high-tech giants would go down because they would have a large expense to pay humans to do the good work that humans do as content editors, content creators, reporters, content reviewers, content approvers, etc.

The core problem is this faux promise that "AI" is going to help. and the debasement of humans relative to machines. This is the false promise that all the high tech companies are trying to sell society.... "more AI will help"... but in fact, this is wrong. More AI will not help. More AI is the core problem and it is debasing to humans for high tech companies to tell us "well, we are not going to hire humans to fix the problems because that costs too much, but don't worry, we will get machines to fix the problem"... meanwhile, the world becomes more destabilized, white-color crime is on the rise, cyber disinformation and cybercrime is on the rise, political turmoil is on the rise, disinformation is on the rise.

The core problem is the debasement of humans in favor of machines, driven by profit.

These tech companies are not "bad" or "evil" per se, but there is no doubt that they are driven by profit (greed) and because they are driven by profit, and therefore greed, we are seeing the unintended consequences of that greed on human civilization, as a whole. It's as simple as "cause and effect" but because companies and people permit themselves to be controlled by greed (money, fame, power, material things, etc), this greed creates strong negative consequences on the planet.

In the past, heavy industry polluted the rivers, ocean, sky and the entire planet because of greed. Now, the new tech industries are polluting the information space, human consciousness, memetic spaces, social spaces and indeed, the very fabric of human society, because of greed.

It's really a sad state of human affairs when you think about it!
These 5 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Don't hate me because I'm stupid...

Hi all, I don't know the first thing about Unix, but I would like to learn. I would like to know what the difference between Linux and Unix is, and where I can obtain a copy of either. Thanks :o (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThisIsNewToMe
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i hate gtk and kde!

i don't want to install any themes, but i do want to get rid of the god awful color scheme it defaults to. i've tried editing /usr/X11R6/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, but to no avail. i've also changed, and even removed the .gtkrc-kde that kde generates automatically, also to no avail. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandan
12 Replies

3. Programming

Complicating things?

So basically what im trying to do is ... Open file, read that file, than try to find .. We or we and replace them with I, but not replace the cases where words contain We or we, such as Went, went, etc a and replace them with the, but not replace the cases where words contain a, such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bconnor
1 Replies

4. Programming

Question about several things in C

Hey guys, first of all I'd like to say Hi to everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have a question about some C stuff. I am in Computer Science and I have an assignment for a UNIX Applications course. It is really complicated, however. We're using the C language for this and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V4D3R
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I hate SED - please help!!

Hi all I have been googling for ages but with no prevail hence this new thread. I would like to add a new line after a particular text string. For example, assume the original file contains the following text: .. line1 line2 line3 .. I would like to insert the text string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just trying to find out a few things ....

Hi everyone Just a couple of quick questions if I may. Can I ask what is meant by "flavours"?? I've come across it many times in the forums and I'm guessing that it is a variery of either Linux or UNIX (I know nil about either) which has developed but not really got a clue. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tiramisu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

things root can't do

Hey all my co-workers and I are trying to put together a list of things root "Can't" do on any *NIX OS, so I wanted to come here and see what all we could come up with. Here are two to start this off: write to a read only mount FS kill a tape rewind Please add what you know. Thanks,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmn
5 Replies

8. Solaris

man and ldm man

According to Sun documentation (Ldoms 1.1 Administration Guide), To access the ldm(1M) man page, add the directory path /opt/SUNWldm/man to the variable $MANPATH. When I add the lines: MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/SUNWldm/man export MANPATH to .profile, exit root and re-login, I would have "man ldm"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
5 Replies