Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing Day in string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing Day in string Post 303030279 by RudiC on Thursday 7th of February 2019 01:53:06 PM
Old 02-07-2019
Welcome to the forum.

Please get accustomed to providing system details like OS, shell, tools' versions, so people can taylor their proposals.

Do you have a date version that offers the -d (--date=STRING) ?
Code:
$ date +"%b %_d" -d"2 day ago"
Feb  5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a string parameter to a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string from function with '*'

Hi I have a shell function which returns string(ksh). The string is an sql statement. This statement can have '*' in its content (i.e. select 100 / 2 *100 from dual). When this happens ret_str will have contents of current directry I run the script from build in sql. Is there any way to fix it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string variables

HI all, Very new to shell programming and just wanted some help on how to solve the following problem. I have a small shell script which searches a given file and extracts some string parameters. I want to now be able to call this script from another shell script and somehow pass the parameters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed passing string to command

hi to all code: </div> command... "command_name arg1 arg2 option=xxxxx" example --- useradd username group=xxxxxx. </div> when someone ran this command it point to some other script (say script1), mean post execution of command. in the script1 i need only "xxxxx" value. then i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing string which includes metacharacters

I'm trying to create a bash script that takes a URL as one of its arguments like this: ./script.sh http://url.cfm?asdf&asdf=234 variable=$1 echo $variable I'm having trouble storing the URL because it contains the meta character "&" which is being interpreted... thus when I run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Day of the week from a string

Hi All, I need to know how to derive the day of the week by passing the value in following format: Feb 28 2010 The output I'm expecting is Sunday or Sun. I know, I can use the following code to get the day of the week. date +%a But I want to pass the value as a string. Please help... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing varibles as a string argument ?

For example test.sh: test="teststring" cmd=$1 $cmd For some reason I'm NOT seeing "teststring" when I type: ./test.sh "echo $test" Any ideas on how to get around this? I've tried commands like: ./test.sh "echo $($test)" ./test.sh "echo '$test'" And many variations to no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: secops
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string from bash to sqlplus

Hello, I have file (PARFILE) with string on first line: INCLUDE=SCHEMA:"IN\( 'SCHEMA1','SCHEMA2','SCHEMA3' \)"In .sh script I use: .... IMPORT_SCHEMA=`awk 'NR==1{print $2}' ${PARFILE}` ...print $2 is because 'SCHEMA1','SCHEMA2','SCHEMA3' is 2nd column in file echo "$IMPORT_SCHEMA"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DjukaZg
5 Replies
DATE(1) 							   User Commands							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the system date and time SYNOPSIS
date [OPTION]... [+FORMAT] date [-u|--utc|--universal] [MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]] DESCRIPTION
Display the current time in the given FORMAT, or set the system date. -d, --date=STRING display time described by STRING, not `now' -f, --file=DATEFILE like --date once for each line of DATEFILE -ITIMESPEC, --iso-8601[=TIMESPEC] output date/time in ISO 8601 format. TIMESPEC=`date' for date only, `hours', `minutes', or `seconds' for date and time to the indi- cated precision. --iso-8601 without TIMESPEC defaults to `date'. -r, --reference=FILE display the last modification time of FILE -R, --rfc-822 output RFC-822 compliant date string -s, --set=STRING set time described by STRING -u, --utc, --universal print or set Coordinated Universal Time --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output. The only valid option for the second form specifies Coordinated Universal Time. Interpreted sequences are: %% a literal % %a locale's abbreviated weekday name (Sun..Sat) %A locale's full weekday name, variable length (Sunday..Saturday) %b locale's abbreviated month name (Jan..Dec) %B locale's full month name, variable length (January..December) %c locale's date and time (Sat Nov 04 12:02:33 EST 1989) %C century (year divided by 100 and truncated to an integer) [00-99] %d day of month (01..31) %D date (mm/dd/yy) %e day of month, blank padded ( 1..31) %F same as %Y-%m-%d %g the 2-digit year corresponding to the %V week number %G the 4-digit year corresponding to the %V week number %h same as %b %H hour (00..23) %I hour (01..12) %j day of year (001..366) %k hour ( 0..23) %l hour ( 1..12) %m month (01..12) %M minute (00..59) %n a newline %N nanoseconds (000000000..999999999) %p locale's upper case AM or PM indicator (blank in many locales) %P locale's lower case am or pm indicator (blank in many locales) %r time, 12-hour (hh:mm:ss [AP]M) %R time, 24-hour (hh:mm) %s seconds since `00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTC' (a GNU extension) %S second (00..60); the 60 is necessary to accommodate a leap second %t a horizontal tab %T time, 24-hour (hh:mm:ss) %u day of week (1..7); 1 represents Monday %U week number of year with Sunday as first day of week (00..53) %V week number of year with Monday as first day of week (01..53) %w day of week (0..6); 0 represents Sunday %W week number of year with Monday as first day of week (00..53) %x locale's date representation (mm/dd/yy) %X locale's time representation (%H:%M:%S) %y last two digits of year (00..99) %Y year (1970...) %z RFC-822 style numeric timezone (-0500) (a nonstandard extension) %Z time zone (e.g., EDT), or nothing if no time zone is determinable By default, date pads numeric fields with zeroes. GNU date recognizes the following modifiers between `%' and a numeric directive. `-' (hyphen) do not pad the field `_' (underscore) pad the field with spaces ENVIRONMENT
TZ Specifies the timezone, unless overridden by command line parameters. If neither is specified, the setting from /etc/localtime is used. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for date is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and date programs are properly installed at your site, the command info date should give you access to the complete manual. date (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 DATE(1)