Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to change name of the file with first line of the file which has some unwanted text in it? Post 303030072 by Sekhar419 on Tuesday 5th of February 2019 06:05:17 PM
Old 02-05-2019
How to change name of the file with first line of the file which has some unwanted text in it?

I have a log file, which i have divided into 14 files using csplit, the file looks like below

Code:
test-000000
test-000001 #and so on until 14

now I want all the 14 files generated to be renamed as the some part of test in first line of the file how can i eliminate the unwanted text?

sample first line of the file looks like, all the files have similar format

Code:
0-00:01:01.412 <main>:[UNIT]:[info]:  Test: SCHEDULE_REQUEST_TestCase ...

I want to rename the file as SCHEDULE_REQUEST_TestCase.log
I know that mv command can be used to rename the file, and read or head can be used to read the first line of the file, but i want to remove the text before SCHEDULE and dots after TestCase.

This is what i have at the moment

Code:
line="$(head -n 1 test-000000)"
mv test-000000 ${line}.log

I want to perform this for all the files i have generated i don't really get how to do that and eliminate the unwanted text from the first line? I guess sed or awk can be used to eliminate the text I have started shell scripting like five days ago any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change file contents line by line

Hi, I'm struggling to write a script to do the following, -will go through each line in the file -in a specific character positions, changes the value to a new value -These character positions are fixed througout the file ----------------------- e.g.: file1.sh will have the following 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vini99
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP header text/csv unwanted line feed character

We have successfully created a comma delimited file, the results are correct from an sql database query. When using the following headers to print the file using print $data, an extra line feed is added and a blank row appears on the top of the data in Excel: header("Expires: 0"); ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifimbres
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash]Attempting to Merge text from one file into another file at the line directly under a word

Hello, This is my first post on the forums. So I want to start by thanking anyone who is kind enough to read this post and offer advise. I hope to be an active contributor now that I've found these forums. I have an issue that I figure would be a good first post.. I have 2 text files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: efciem
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

add line in file and change file name

HI I have 100 files in below folder:- /home/lkj/TEST File name like below undo_ARL01003_120907-155022.mos undo_ARL01006_120908-155042.mos i want replace one first line of each file to pt all i want change file name as below. ARL01003.mos ARL01006.mos Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
Test::Regression(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Test::Regression(3pm)

NAME
Test::Regression - Test library that can be run in two modes; one to generate outputs and a second to compare against them VERSION
Version 0.05 SYNOPSIS
use Test::Regression; ok_regression(sub {return "hello world"}, "t/out/hello_world.txt"); DESCRIPTION
Using the various Test:: modules you can compare the output of a function against what you expect. However if the output is complex and changes from version to version, maintenance of the expected output could be costly. This module allows one to use the test code to generate the expected output, so that if the differences with model output are expected, one can easily refresh the model output. EXPORT
ok_regression FUNCTIONS
ok_regression This function requires two arguments: a CODE ref and a file path. The CODE ref is expected to return a SCALAR string which can be compared against previous runs. If the TEST_REGRESSION_GEN is set to a true value, then the CODE ref is run and the output written to the file. Otherwise the output of the file is compared against the contents of the file. There is a third optional argument which is the test name. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TEST_REGRESSION_GEN If the TEST_REGRESSION_GEN environment file is unset or false in a perl sense, then the named output files must exist and be readable and the test will run normally comparing the outputs of the CODE refs against the contents of those files. If the environment variable is true in a perl sense, then model output files will be overwritten with the output of the CODE ref. AUTHOR
Nicholas Bamber, "<nicholas at periapt.co.uk>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-test-regression at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Regression>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. testing of STDERR The testing of stderr from this module is not as thorough as I would like. Test::Builder::Tester allows turning off of stderr checking but not matching by regular expression. Handcrafted efforts currently fall foul of Test::Harness. Still it is I believe adequately tested in terms of coverage. SUPPORT
You can find documentation for this module with the perldoc command. perldoc Test::Regression You can also look for information at: o RT: CPAN's request tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Test-Regression> o AnnoCPAN: Annotated CPAN documentation <http://annocpan.org/dist/Test-Regression> o CPAN Ratings <http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Test-Regression> o Search CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Regression/> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Some documentation improvements have been suggested by toolic (http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=622051). Thanks to Filip GraliXski for pointing out I need to test against output of zero length and providing a patch. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2009-10 Nicholas Bamber. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either: the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; or the Artistic License. See http://dev.perl.org/licenses/ for more information. perl v5.10.1 2010-08-29 Test::Regression(3pm)