Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I misused: "sudo rm -rf /*"
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers I misused: "sudo rm -rf /*" Post 303030027 by Don Cragun on Monday 4th of February 2019 06:53:01 PM
Old 02-04-2019
Any chance you have a Time Machine backup?

Make an appointment with your local Apple Store Genius Bar. They'll probably be able to restore macOS on your system. After that, if you had a time machine backup, you can recover everything you had backed up.

Good luck.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 02-04-2019 at 08:00 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use the Sudo command. "0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for sudo because:"

Hi! I'm very new to unix, so please keep that in mind with the level of language used if you choose to help :D Thanks! When attempting to use sudo on and AIX machine with oslevel 5.1.0.0, I get the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sudo because of the following errors:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chloe123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaining behaviour of sudo bash "$0" "$@";

I've found this script part on the stackoverflow: if ; then sudo bash "$0" "$@"; exit "$?"; fi I realized that sudo bash "$0" "$@"; is the only needed for me. But the strange thing happens when I move this line outside the IF statement: sudo bash "$0" "$@"; stops the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: boqsc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
TMDIAGNOSE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     TMDIAGNOSE(8)

NAME
tmdiagnose -- gather information to aid in diagnosing Time Machine issues SYNOPSIS
tmdiagnose -h tmdiagnose [-d seconds] [-f path] [-m] [-r] DESCRIPTION
The tmdiagnose tool gathers system and backup information in order to assist Apple when investigating issues related to Time Machine. A great deal of information is harvested, spanning system state, system and backup configuration, and snapshot details. What tmdiagnose Collects: o A spindump of the system o Several seconds of fs_usage ouput o Several seconds of top output o Individual samples of backupd, mtmd, mtmfs, and Finder o Power Management state and logs o IOKit registry information o A netstat inspection o A list of all open files on the system o All system logs o All kernel logs o All install logs o All fsck_hfs logs o All WiFi logs o Disk Utility logs for all local users o The system migration log o All spin and crash reports for the following processes: backupd mtmd mtmfs mds diskimages-helper Locum newfs_hfs NetAuthSysAgent o Recent spin and crash reports for the following processes, for all local users: Finder Locum System Preferences SystemUIServer iPhoto Mail MailTimeMachineHelper Address Book o Basic information about reachable AirPort and Time Capsule devices o The FindSystemFiles cache o Information about disks and mounted network shares o Information about attached disk images o A System Profiler report o A list of software that has been installed via the darwinup tool o Time Machine preferences, caches, and configuration information o Comprehensive information about Time Machine backups and snapshots The high-level backup structure for the current machine directory is recreated inside the diagnostic bundle, including the capture of various Time Machine log files contained within snapshots. Items in this "skeleton" structure have on them the extended attributes of the originals. Recreations of local snapshots are also captured in the same manner. The tmdiagnose tool will run the Spotlight diagnostic tool mddiagnose automatically, if it is available. What tmdiagnose Doesn't Collect: o No user files are harvested from within backups o No authentication credentials are harvested from the system o No authentication credentials are harvested for reachable AirPort and Time Capsule devices OPTIONS
-h Print full usage. -d sec Delay the start of the diagnostic by sec seconds. The system alert sound will play two times when the diagnostic begins. -f path Write the diagnostic to the specified path. -m Gather memory diagnostics for backupd, mtmd, mtmfs, and Finder. -r Do not reveal the diagnostic in Finder when finished. EXIT STATUS
tmdiagnose exits with status 0 if there were no internal errors encountered during the diagnostic, or >0 when an error unrelated to external state occurs or unusable input is provided by the user. Mac OS X 6 September 2011 Mac OS X