Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Accessing the user space of one OS from within another. Post 303030020 by Circuits on Monday 4th of February 2019 04:15:39 PM
Old 02-04-2019
Accessing the user space of one OS from within another.

Recently, I setup a dual boot on this PC. I can currently jump from Ubuntu 12.04 and 16.04. What I would like to be able to do is access the home directory of my 16.04 OS from within the 12.04, is that possible? I can mount the partition of the hard drive where 16.04 lives from within 12.04 but it seems like it's only allowing me access to the kernel space.

note: I believe this question fits under the unix.com umbrella but if not let me know.

EDIT: I may have pulled the trigger on asking this question a bit to early. This could be my own fault for how I setup my 16.04 system.

Last edited by Circuits; 02-04-2019 at 05:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit number of user accessing to SCO UNIX System

Hi, In my company, we are using SCO UNIX system and Informix database. Recently, there have been a lot of users accessing to server and sometimes it has made server run very slow. So, I intend to limit number of users of 30 only. Although I have tried to search on the Internet for several days,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trinhnguyen
1 Replies

2. AIX

Can we restrict an user to use only certain disk space

Hi, In Ibm Aix can we restrict the user to use only 50% or 60% of disk space. Thanks, Chris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramod10
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Create user with Restricted Space usage

Hi, What is the command or how to create a user with the restricted usage of space on a disk. Also let me know how to change the limit of the space size allotted in future for the same user. ~Vinodh Kumar V M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
3 Replies

5. Programming

Getting notified in user-space on interrupts

Hi, I'm working on an AMD opteron running Linux 2.6.28.6 I want to preload a module specific register (MSR) with a value to have it overflow after a number of a specific event counts. As I understand, when the counter in the register overflows, an interrupt will be generated and handled by the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mylinuxforums
2 Replies

6. Programming

Signalling interrupts to user space

What is the simplest function I can use to signal an interrupt from kernel module to user space. I knw the usr app pid in my module. Also can someone explain the parameters in kill_fasync and send_sig (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW: Shell script accessing files located in individual logged in user.

Hi I have below scenario, I hope this could be possible, but as of now no idea how to implement this. Mount point in this location /abc/mp, and there will different users who will be executing one the file shell1.sh file located in /abs/mp, but every user will execute this shell1.sh file from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SSH] Accessing remote directory with user-passed path

Hi everybody, Currently, I have a script which access a remote computer via SSH, go to a folder already defined in the code and then executes a program in it, just like that: ssh user@host << EOI cd path ./file EOI It executes fine, but now I want to pass an argument in the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lgb3
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Accessing Solaris PCI Config Space extended properties

Hi all, Am working on an enhancement to access Solaris PCI Config Space. I got basic pci config space properties like vendor-id using di_node system calls. But i am not able to access the extended configuration space. Can you please suggest an approach to access the pci extended configuration... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayrajen
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Problems creating and accessing with user

Hi, I have created the user 'mastersa' in several servers. I need to change the user ID to '0'. However, after doing this, I am not able to login (Access denied). Even after I change the password, I still get this error. Why is this? Also, when I attempt to delete the user account, I get... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)			 systemd-machine-id-commit.service		      SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)