Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bad substitution - ShellCheck says okay Post 303029909 by Xubuntu56 on Saturday 2nd of February 2019 10:15:06 PM
Old 02-02-2019
To answer the last question first, the script is producing the desired output: printing a legend for the different colors used by ls for each different type of file; i.e. di (directory) printed blue on a black background. I merely wanted it to do so without all the error messages.
So it is working, but with issues.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Substitution

Need Help... I am getting a bad substitution error on my script on a Solaris Server. However the script has been proven to work on HPUX and Solaris servers... #!/usr/bin/sh # # Set the location of the tzupdater.jar file # JAR=/tmp/tzupdater.jar # <<<<< UPDATE THIS LINE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: D_Redd74
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array reference - bad substitution

I've created a series of arrays named as follows: row1 row2 row3 . . . row10 Each has 4 elements. I'm trying to echo the array elements out in a for loop. Here's what I have: for ((i=1;i<=10;i++)) do for ((j=1;j<=4;j++)) do eval out=${row`echo $i`} echo -n $out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swankgd
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

hi, i created a shell script having the following content: #! /usr/bin/ksh FROM="myemail@domain.com" MAILTO="someemail@domain" SUBJECT="TEST" BODY="/export/home/adshocker/body.txt" ATTACH="/export/home/adshocker/attach.prog" echo $ATTACH ATTACH_NAME="${ATTACH##*/}" echo $ATTACH_NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

Hello, In bash I can use the following: TMP=12345 MID=${TMP:1:1} the expected result is: 2 but when using KSH I'm getting a ''bad substitution" error. What is the correct syntaxin ksh? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad substitution

#!/bin/bash a1=( win 12,01,02,03,04 ) a2=( pre 04,05,06 ) a3=( msn 06,07,08,09 ) Given the above arrays, I want the script to return/echo the following in a loop; win 12,01,02,03,04 pre 04,05,06,07 msn 06,07,08,09 But I can't get it to do as such. I've tried; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error!

Hi All, I'm building a new shell script but i'm facing a problem with one line which is giving "bad substitution" error. Please assist script lines: #!/bin/sh printf "%s: " "Occurrence DATE (YYYYMMDD)"; read DATE shortdate=${DATE#??} o/p: ./test1: bad substitution This command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
2 Replies

7. Programming

Make: Bad Substitution

Hi, I have a make file which I try to execute, but it failed when it arrived to the line: for r in ${PIPESTATUS }; do if (($r != 0)); then exit $r; fi;done; With the Error: ""make:/bin/sh: Bad substitution"" Or the Error: "make:${PIPESTATUS[...}: Bad substitution" (Depend on the operating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadne
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution

Cant undestand :) why i have an error on line 2.it is working on my other boxes #!/bin/bash ret=$(echo Q | timeout 5 openssl s_client connect "${1`hostname`}:${2-443}" -ssl3 2> /dev/null) if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Protocol.*SSLv3'; then if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Cipher.*0000'; then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bad substitution issues.. but why?

i am trying to prepare a train and test dataset, for which i need to randomly split the data into corresponding folders (train,test).. I began on a simple script, but seem to get som weird error messages, that i cannot make sense of?.. what am I doing wrong? #!/bin/bash RED='\033] then... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
13 Replies
pnmcrop(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   pnmcrop(1)

NAME
pnmcrop - crop a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcrop [-white|-black|-sides] [-left] [-right] [-top] [-bottom] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix or specified with double hyphens. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Removes borders that are the background color, and produces the same type of image as output. If you don't specify otherwise, pnmcrop assumes the background color is whatever color the top left and right corners of the image are and if they are different colors, something midway between them. You can specify that the background is white or black with the -white and -black options or make pnmcrop base its guess on all four corners instead of just two with -sides. By default, pnmcrop chops off any stripe of background color it finds, on all four sides. You can tell pnmcrop to remove only specific borders with the -left, -right, -top, and -bottom options. If you want to chop a specific amount off the side of an image, use pnmcut. If you want to add different borders after removing the existing ones, use pnmcat or pnmcomp. OPTIONS
-white Take white to be the background color. pnmcrop removes borders which are white. -black Take black to be the background color. pnmcrop removes borders which are black. -sides Determine the background color from the colors of the four corners of the input image. pnmcrop removes borders which are of the background color. If at least three of the four corners are the same color, pnmcrop takes that as the background color. If not, pnmcrop looks for two corners of the same color in the following order, taking the first found as the background color: top, left, right, bottom. If all four corners are different colors, pnmcrop assumes an average of the four colors as the background color. The -sides option slows pnmcrop down, as it reads the entire image to determine the background color in addition to the up to three times that it would read it without -sides. -left Remove any left border. -right Remove any right border. -top Remove any top border. -bottom Remove any bottom border. -verbose Print on Standard Error information about the processing, including exactly how much is being cropped off of which sides. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmfile(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 18 March 2001 pnmcrop(1)