Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Questions related to if in awk context and if without awk context Post 303029704 by RudiC on Thursday 31st of January 2019 04:58:21 AM
Old 01-31-2019
I really appreciate your sole quest to master *nix and associates challenges, and I'd like to support you with it. Let's start with a few comments:
Don't intermix the various topics / fields, which you do in your first post, mixing shell and awk syntax. Concentrate on one only first, then extent your work to others. Don't work with non-*nix tools (windows(?) editors) so not to introduce off-system errors (e.g. locale double quotes) leading to syntax problems.
Let's start with some comments on your last post:
Code:
input=“AfileinDir”

Syntax error! The double quotes are NOT the required ASCII " (oct 042, dec 34, hex 22). What editor do you use? Change to a genuine *nix one, or at least switch yours to *nix mode. While we're at it, make sure your script lines are terminated correctly (\n in *nix, NO \r!)
Code:
if [ $input == echo$(ls) ];  # or if [ $input == $(ls) ]

bash: [: too many arguments: echo$(ls) evaluates to like "echofile1 file2 etc", i.e. the string "echo" immediately followed by the list of files in your directory. Will rarely fit anything in your $input variable. Would ls $input do what you want (check if file exists in current working dir)?

Don Cragun already pointed out many aspects of the failure of your approach. I just want to emphasize that without a basic understanding of the operation of both shell and awk and the sometimes subtle differences between the two, and, no less important, the ways and methods they interact, it will become difficult to compose a working solution.

Last edited by RudiC; 01-31-2019 at 06:06 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Context Switching

I know that this is a relative question but can someone give me an idea of what would be considered a high number of context switches? I am running vmstat and show a cs value of between 5000 and 6000 on a 4 processor system. How can I deduce if this number is high or not? Also, the timeslice... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep context in awk

here is a data file. ------------------------------------- KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK ------------------------------------- My desired output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VTAWKVT
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

context lost problem

there are several same servers(process) on more than one server(machine) providing the same service. we store session/context within the server(process), if the same client login, he will be directed to the very server service for him last time. But, if a server(machine or process) down, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhongyj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep help after context

Hi, There's a file with below contents which I have to read based on the input parameter provided by the user. FILE_ID=1 FILE_FTP_ID=ftp.server1.com FILE_FTP_USER=user1 FILE_FTP_PASS=pass1 FILE_ID=2 FILE_FTP_ID=ftp.server2.com FILE_FTP_USER=user2 FILE_FTP_PASS=pass2 FILE_ID=3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split based on Context

Hello, I have a file that I want to be able to split at specific positions. For example in the file below I want to be able to split at every occurence of 2 at the start of a line, into multiple files. 2 abc PQRST abcRSTG 2 cde FGKL abcLKGRG ABCLKgrg 2 lmn OPT lmopqrst uvwxyz ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Context-switching question

Hi all, I've got this question that i need to solve: "Type `vmstat -s; vmstat -n 1 5; vmstat -n 1 5; vmstat -s` to your Ruby interpreter. Then terminate your Ruby session. Run the Unix com- mand vmstat -s; vmstat -n 1 5; vmstat -s in the same terminal window you had been using for Ruby. Did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
1 Replies

7. Slackware

Context dependent symlinks

Ive got multiple PCs, sharing an NFS mounted home dir. For certain apps I would like to keep the config files host specific. Easy solution is to create symlinks to local folders for configs. Ideally I would still want the .config files to reside in the user home folder. Is it possible to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
2 Replies

8. Linux

involuntary context switching

In a kernel based on 2.6.27: In the schedule() routine they have a local variable switch_count: /* * schedule() is the main scheduler function. */ asmlinkage void __sched schedule(void) { struct task_struct *prev, *next; unsigned long *switch_count; struct rq... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriskot
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interupt Context Switching

If suppose a middle level interrupt is being serviced and a high priority interrupts comes in then in that case what all process will take place. The interrupt context switch will happen. But where will the interrupt context be saved? Is there something called as part process data area? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Context for use of [.symbol.] awk notation

Hi Just wondering ... do you have an example of context that would demonstrates how usefull the awk notation can efficiently be used ? Thx :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)