Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Questions related to if in awk context and if without awk context Post 303029694 by Seth on Thursday 31st of January 2019 01:13:15 AM
Old 01-31-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Is this a homework assignment? Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules
(url's from your quote deleted as I have less than 5 posts)

This is not a homework assignment. I am learning scripting on my own.

Quote:
Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.
(url deleted from quote, for same reason above)

I have reviewed the rules. This is not a homework assignment. I am asking for input from people with more knowledge than me to improve my learning.

Quote:
If this is homework, please explain where the code you presented came from. There are so many syntax errors that it is hard to know where to start explaining the problems.

Again, this is not a homework assignment, and I came up with the code myself. The code works in it's simple purpose, but I am looking to improve it as stated in my first question, including any syntax errors. I am also seeking to understand the difference in the if function between awk and non-awk, as stated in my second question.

Quote:
If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.
(urls deleted)

This is not a homework assignment, and as I am not enrolled in any type of course or program, any posts I make in the foreseeable future will not be.

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Context Switching

I know that this is a relative question but can someone give me an idea of what would be considered a high number of context switches? I am running vmstat and show a cs value of between 5000 and 6000 on a 4 processor system. How can I deduce if this number is high or not? Also, the timeslice... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep context in awk

here is a data file. ------------------------------------- KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK ------------------------------------- My desired output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VTAWKVT
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

context lost problem

there are several same servers(process) on more than one server(machine) providing the same service. we store session/context within the server(process), if the same client login, he will be directed to the very server service for him last time. But, if a server(machine or process) down, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhongyj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep help after context

Hi, There's a file with below contents which I have to read based on the input parameter provided by the user. FILE_ID=1 FILE_FTP_ID=ftp.server1.com FILE_FTP_USER=user1 FILE_FTP_PASS=pass1 FILE_ID=2 FILE_FTP_ID=ftp.server2.com FILE_FTP_USER=user2 FILE_FTP_PASS=pass2 FILE_ID=3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split based on Context

Hello, I have a file that I want to be able to split at specific positions. For example in the file below I want to be able to split at every occurence of 2 at the start of a line, into multiple files. 2 abc PQRST abcRSTG 2 cde FGKL abcLKGRG ABCLKgrg 2 lmn OPT lmopqrst uvwxyz ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Context-switching question

Hi all, I've got this question that i need to solve: "Type `vmstat -s; vmstat -n 1 5; vmstat -n 1 5; vmstat -s` to your Ruby interpreter. Then terminate your Ruby session. Run the Unix com- mand vmstat -s; vmstat -n 1 5; vmstat -s in the same terminal window you had been using for Ruby. Did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
1 Replies

7. Slackware

Context dependent symlinks

Ive got multiple PCs, sharing an NFS mounted home dir. For certain apps I would like to keep the config files host specific. Easy solution is to create symlinks to local folders for configs. Ideally I would still want the .config files to reside in the user home folder. Is it possible to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
2 Replies

8. Linux

involuntary context switching

In a kernel based on 2.6.27: In the schedule() routine they have a local variable switch_count: /* * schedule() is the main scheduler function. */ asmlinkage void __sched schedule(void) { struct task_struct *prev, *next; unsigned long *switch_count; struct rq... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriskot
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interupt Context Switching

If suppose a middle level interrupt is being serviced and a high priority interrupts comes in then in that case what all process will take place. The interrupt context switch will happen. But where will the interrupt context be saved? Is there something called as part process data area? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Context for use of [.symbol.] awk notation

Hi Just wondering ... do you have an example of context that would demonstrates how usefull the awk notation can efficiently be used ? Thx :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
6 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)