Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Finding specific string in file and storing in another file Post 303029577 by stomp on Tuesday 29th of January 2019 07:38:27 AM
Old 01-29-2019
xmllint finally got newlines to separate node sets 4 months ago (on linux / libxml2).

Add newlines to 'xmllint --xpath' output (da35eeae) . Commits . GNOME / libxml2 . GitLab

Maybe some years until it's propageted within the linux distributions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding specific values in a within a file

Hi everyone, Can anyone guide me on how to search through a huge file and look on specific column and if it finds a discrepancy on that column that does not conform to the specified criteria, ie (1) Numeric and (3) alpha chars F123 or G333..etc, etc! then idientify it and redirect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding what pages link to a specific file

First time poster (so please excuse me in advance) ;) I have a webserver running linux, apache, etc. I have a list of HTML webpages that I want to delete because I think they are old. While I could delete them then check for broken links, I'd like to be more pro-active. I want to write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iansocool
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding file in specific subdirectories

Hi experts problem: i have a directory "DATA" with lots of subdirectories named as date with hudge data containning files. Directory = "DATA" subdirectory = "20090611" & "20090612" ...... 20090611 = thousands of files i wanna apply find command to find all files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Archer
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

add newline in file after finding specific text

Hi All, I am tring to insert a newline with "/" in a text file whenever there is the text "end;" right now I have inside file: . . end; I want to have: . . end; / I tried doing the following within the file :g/^end;/s//end; \/ / (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a specific range of character in file

hi, I want to store from 102 character to 128 character to a variable of header record which can be identified as 'HDR' which is the first 3 characters in the same line of a same.txt file. Please advise. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding file with a specific range

Hi All, Thanks in advance File is generated with following format 31000000.xml to 48999999.xml 74000000.xml to 88999999.xml Above range should be find and moved into the folder named abc and below is another range should should be find and moved into folder named xyz ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sujit_kashyap
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding 4 current files having specific File Name pattern

Hi All, I am trying to find 4 latest files inside one folder having following File Name pattern and store them into 4 different variables and then use for processing in my shell script. File name is fixed length. 1) Each file starts with = ABCJmdmfbsjop letters + 7 Digit Number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding duplicates in a file excluding specific pattern

I have unix file like below >newuser newuser <hello hello newone I want to find the unique values in the file(excluding <,>),so that the out put should be >newuser <hello newone can any body tell me what is command to get this new file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiva2985
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies
xmllint(1)						      General Commands Manual							xmllint(1)

NAME
xmllint - command line XML tool SYNOPSIS
xmllint [--version | --debug | --shell | --debugent | --copy | --recover | --noent | --noout | --htmlout | --nowrap | --valid | --postvalid | --dtdvalid URL | --timing | --repeat | --insert | --compress | --sgml | --html | --push | --memory | --nowarning | --noblanks | --for- mat | --testIO | --encode encoding | --catalogs | --nocatalogs | --auto | --xinclude | --loaddtd | --dtdattr | --dropdtd] [xmlfile] INTRODUCTION
The xmllint program parses one or more XML files, specified on the command line as xmlfile. It prints various types of output, depending upon the options selected. It is useful for detecting errors both in XML code and in the XML parser itself. It is included in libxml2. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of libxml2 used. --debug Parse a file and output an annotated tree of the in-memory version of the document. --shell Run a navigating shell. --debugent Debug the entities defined in the document. --copy Test the internal copy implementation. --recover Output any parsable portions of an invalid document. --noent Substitute entity values for entity references. By default, xmllint leaves entity references in place. --noout Suppress output. By default, xmllint outputs the result tree. --htmlout Output results as an HTML file. This causes xmllint to output the necessary HTML tags surrounding the result tree output so the results can be displayed in a browser. --nowrap Do not output HTML doc wrapper. --valid Determine if the document is a valid instance of the included Document Type Definition (DTD). A DTD to be validated against also can be specified at the command line using the --dtdvalid option. By default, xmllint also checks to determine if the document is well- formed. --postvalid Validate after parsing is completed. --dtdvalid URL Use the DTD specified by URL for validation. --timing Output information about the time it takes xmllint to perform the various steps. --repeat Repeat 100 times, for timing or profiling. --insert Test for valid insertions. --compress Turn on gzip compression of output. --sgml Use the DocBook SGML parser. This allows documents written in SGML DocBook to be converted into an in-memory tree and treated as if they were written in XML. --html Use the HTML parser. --push Use the push mode of the parser. --memory Parse from memory. --nowarning Do not emit warnings from the parser and/or validator. --noblanks Drop ignorable blank spaces. --format Reformat and reindent the output. --testIO Test user input/output support. --encode encoding Output in the given encoding. --catalogs Use the catalogs from $SGML_CATALOG_FILES. Otherwise /etc/xml/catalog is used by default. --nocatalogs Do not use any catalogs. --auto Generate a small document for testing purposes. --xinclude Do XInclude processing. --loaddtd Fetch external DTD. --dtdattr Fetch external DTD and populate the tree with inherited attributes. --dropdtd Remove DTD from output. AUTHORS
John Fleck <jfleck@inkstain.net>, Ziying Sherwin <sherwin@nlm.nih.gov>, Heiko Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de> This is release 0.2 of the xmllint Man- ual. NOTES
Source for libxml is available in the SUNWlxmlS package. Documentation for libxml is available on-line at http://www.xmlsoft.org/ 2001 Nov 26 xmllint(1)