Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comment all lines which are not already commented for each full path pattern matched Post 303029477 by RudiC on Sunday 27th of January 2019 01:02:19 PM
Old 01-27-2019
You escaped one address delimiter too many. man sed:

Quote:
Addresses
\cregexpc
Match lines matching the regular expression regexp. The c may be any character.
Try your sed command again, with the second | unescaped.

To avoid commenting out an already commented line, you can either add the # to all matching lines, and then remove duplicates, or extend the address, like
Code:
sed '\|^[^#].*/usr/bin/munin-cron| s|^|#|' file

Using a similar address for the reverse operation, including 0 - n spaces in the s command, is left as an execise for the reader.

Last edited by RudiC; 01-28-2019 at 08:59 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: match pattern & delete matched lines

Hi all, I have the following data in a file x.csv: > ,this is some text here > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/11/16,0.23 > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/12/16,0.88 < ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this shouldnt be deleted I need to use SED to match anything with a > in the line and delete that line, can someone help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines around a matched pattern

I have an ugly conf file that has the string I'm interested in searching for in the middle of a block of code that's relevant, and I'm trying to find a way to remove that entire block based on the matched line. I've googled for this problem, and most people helping are only interested in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamale
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Grep command to return all the lines from one matched pattern to another.

For example a log file looks like below- 13:30:00- abcdefghijklhjghjghjhskj. abcdefghijkl. 14:15:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:30:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:35:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 123456789. 14:45:00- abcdefghijkl. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_shivv
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to return all the lines between one matched pattern to another.

14:15:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:30:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:35:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 123456789. 14:45:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:50:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 15:30:00-abcdefghijkl. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_shivv
3 Replies

7. Linux

Perl program to print previous set of lines once a pattern is matched

Hi all, I have a text data file. My aim here is to find line called *FIELD* AV for every record and print lines after that till *FIELD* RF. But here I want first 3 to four lines for very record as well. FIELD AV is some where in between for very record. SO I am not sure how to retrieve lines in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines and the first pattern between 2 matched patterns

Hi, i need help to delete all the lines between 2 matched patterns and the first pattern must be deleted too. sample as follows: inputfile.txt >kump_1 ........................... ........................... >start_0124 dgfhghgfh fgfdgfh fdgfdh >kump_2 ............................. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: how to merge two lines moving matched pattern to end of previous line

hello everyone, im new here, and also programming with awk, sed and grep commands on linux. In my text i have many lines with this config: 1 1 4 3 1 1 2 5 2 2 1 1 1 3 1 2 1 3 1 1 1 2 2 2 5 2 4 1 3 2 1 1 4 1 2 1 1 1 3 2 1 1 5 4 1 3 1 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satir
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the path value in files, pattern is not full known.

Hi, I need to do find and replace, but the pattern is not full known. for example, my file has /proj/app-d1/sun or /data/site-d1/conf here app-d1 and site-d1 is not constant. It may be different in different files. common part is /proj/xx/sun and /data/xxx/conf i want to find where ever... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
6 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)