Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep only words containing specific string Post 303029346 by nezabudka on Friday 25th of January 2019 06:44:04 AM
Old 01-25-2019
Code:
grep -of <(sed 's/.*/\\S*&\\S*/' readfile) source

This User Gave Thanks to nezabudka For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - searching for a specific string

ppl, this is my "file" with fields orderno orderdate orderdesc telno street city 1 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 2 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 3 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 4 01/04/2006 abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a specific line from grep output string

Dear All I want to search string "1000" from input file and if it found i want remove line that contain 1000 and also remove 3 line above it and 2 line below it. INPUT FILE: BHAT-D 2 aaa ID CODE GS UPDATE MODE LANG MCO MCL NUMPAGES 50 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

3. Programming

How to grep the specific string or user's list from the file

I have a file on UNIX system from where I want to grep the list of all users associated to the particular repository.If the user's list is in single line then I fetch all list but if it is in two separate lines it doesn't.I use the below command a=KESTREL-DEV;b=users;cat access_file|grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Specific String In CSV

Hi All, I have a csv file like the following: "ABCD2","EFGH2","XXXX","1" "ABCD2","EFGH2","XXXX","2" I want to grep out the row which contains the value of 2 within the 4th column, so then i can use the extracted record to cut up and store into numerous variables. Obviously when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichZR
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep cells that contain a specific string?

How do you grep cells that contain a specific string. I tried grep but it greps the whole line and not just the cells. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep contains specific string

i have file input dsgfdgdfgd> cab |egrep -i '(active|cbu)' 130502-11:34:11 10.133.1.153 9.0j stopfile=/tmp/15959 Trying password from ipdatabase file: /opt/ericsson/amos/moshell/sitefiles/ipdatabase... .. 0 1 CBU1 OFF ON 16HZ ROJ1192209/1 R5E TU8BZ04466... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string or words in logs without using Grep

I'm in need of some kind of script that will search for a string in each logfile in a directory but we don't want to use GREP. GREP seems to use up to much of our memory causing the server to use up a lot of swap space. Our log files are bigger than 500M on a daily basis. We lately started... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: senormarquez
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and neglect a specific string

Hi, I have a file with "n" number of lines. I need to get rid of a specific line having a specific string from the file. I tried some possibilities but not successful. For ex: in a file named "test" hope should be removed along with the line. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky-row
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in a file and paste next line in a specific way

Hello, I know there are many questions and replies regarding grep command. What I would like to do is a bit different. File A: hello world welcome to my page this is my test site how are you I am fine, thank you where have you been I was in hospital really hope you are fine now Thanks,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple words in a file with help of fixed string switch

I have multiple strings in a file which have special character $, when i search strings by ignoring $ with \ using single quotes it returns empty results. My search strings are set char_1($lock) and set new_char_clear_3($unlock) I tried searching with but it returns empty results.However... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_eashwar
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD