Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing two files by two matching fields Post 303029304 by Don Cragun on Thursday 24th of January 2019 02:23:57 PM
Old 01-24-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstaff
Thanks for the reply, will keep searching.

Output into file three, in the form of either field 1 and field 2 that match in both files.
Or field 1 and field 2 that match in both, if it duplicates output, can live with that.
Hi bstaff,
I think we already understand the you want the results to be stored into a third file (rather than just letting the output be sent to the program's standard output so you could redirect it wherever you wanted it to go). The question is: "Given the contents of File 1 and File 2 that you showed us in post #1 in this thread, exactly what output do you hope will be stored in your output file?

Note also that the description of your problem talks about file 1 and file 2 (with entirely lowercase "file" in both cases), but when you showed us sample contents for those files you showed labels with initial caps on both filenames. On most BSD, Linux, and UNIX filesystems, case matters in filenames.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files by comparing three fields

Hi Experts, I need your timely help. I have a problem with merging two files. Here my situation : Here I have to compare first three fields from FILE1 with FILE2. If they are equal, I have to append the remaining values from FILE2 with FILE1 to create the output. FILE1: Class ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hunter85
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files and replacing fields

I have two files with ids and email addresses. File 2 cotains a subset of the records in file 1. The key field is the first field containing the id. file 1: 123|myadr@abc.com 456|myadr2@abc.com 789|myadr3@abc.com file 2: 456|adr456@xyz.com Where the record appears in the second... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tltroy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing fields in two files

Hi, i want to compare two files by one field say $3 in file1 needs to compare with $2 in file2. sample file1 - reqd_charge_code 2263881188,24570896,439 2263881964,24339077,439 2263883220,22619162,228 2263884224,24631840,442 2263884246,22612161,442 sample file2 - rg_j ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files and inserting new fields

Hi all, I searched the forum and tried to learn from the similar posts. However, I am new and I need to get help on this. I hope an expert kindly help me to sort this out. I need to compare field 1 and 2 of the first file with the same fields of the second file and if both fields matches... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenFire
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in comparing 2 fields from 2 files

I've 2 files. Need to compare File1.Field1,File1.Field2 with File2.Field1,File2.Field2. If matches then create a new file. File1 10 A|ADB|967143.24|1006101.5 3E HK|DHB|24294.76|242513.89 ABN ACU|ADB|22104.69|51647.14 ABN BU|DBA|39137.14|109128.38 ABN|ADB|64466.89|167936.55 ABOC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buster
2 Replies

6. Programming

comparing two fields from two different files in AWK

Hi, I have two files formatted as following: File 1: (user_num_ID , realID) (the NR here is 41671) 1 cust_034_60 2 cust_80_91 3 cust_406_4 .. .. File 2: (realID , clusterNumber) (total NR here is 1000) cust_034_60 2 cust_406_4 3 .. .. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two files for matching fields

I am newbie to unix and would please like some help to solve the task below I have two files, file_a.text and file_b.text that I want to evaluate. file_a.text 1698.74 1711.88 6576.25 899.41 3205.63 4187.98 697.35 1551.83 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameli
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files using four fields

I want to compare File1 and File2 (Separated by spaces) using four fields (Column 1,2,4,5). Logic: If column 1 and 2 of File1 and File2 match exactly and if the File2 has the same characters as any of the characters present in column 4 and 5 of file1 then those lines of file1 and file2 are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NamS
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files using four fields

Dear All, I want to compare File1 and File2 (Separated by spaces) using four fields (Column 1,2,4,5). Logic: If column 1 and 2 of File1 and File2 match exactly and if the File2 has the same characters as any of the characters present in column 4 and 5 of file1 then those lines of file1 and file2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NamS
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need urgent help in comparing two fields in two files

Hi all, I have two files as below. I need to compare field 2 of file 1 against field 1 of file 2 and field 5 of file 1 against filed 2 of file 2. If both matches , then create a result file 1 with first file data and if not matches , then create file with first fie data. Please help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivarajb
1 Replies
join(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   join(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
[options] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 or file2 is the standard input is used. file1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing collating sequence (see Environment Variables below) on the fields on which they are to be joined; normally the first in each line. The output contains one line for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally consists of the common field followed by the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. The default input field separators are space, tab, or new-line. In this case, multiple separators count as one field separator, and lead- ing separators are ignored. The default output field separator is a space. Some of the below options use the argument n. This argument should be a or a referring to either file1 or file2, respectively. Options In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is or Replace empty output fields by string s. Join on field m of both files. The argument m must be delimited by space characters. This option and the following two are provided for backward compatibility. Use of the and options ( see below ) is recommended for portability. Join on field m of file1. Join on field m of file2. Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form where n is a file number and m is a field number. The common field is not printed unless specifically requested. Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. The character c is used as the field sepa- rator for both input and output. Instead of the default output, produce a line only for each unpairable line in file_number, where file_number is or Join on field f of file 1. Fields are numbered starting with 1. Join on field f of file 2. Fields are numbered starting with 1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence expects from input files. determines the alternative blank character as an input field separator, and the interpretation of data within files as single and/or multi- byte characters. also determines whether the separator defined through the option is a single- or multi-byte character. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationaliza- tion variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C'' (see environ(5)). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported with the exception that multi-byte-character file names are not supported. EXAMPLES
The following command line joins the password file and the group file, matching on the numeric group ID, and outputting the login name, the group name, and the login directory. It is assumed that the files have been sorted in the collating sequence defined by the or environment variable on the group ID fields. The following command produces an output consisting all possible combinations of lines that have identical first fields in the two sorted files sf1 and sf2, with each line consisting of the first and third fields from and the second and fourth fields from WARNINGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of with the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of and are incongruous. Numeric filenames may cause conflict when the option is used immediately before listing filenames. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), sort(1), uniq(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
join(1)