Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Coding Style at UNIX.com forums Post 303029229 by stomp on Wednesday 23rd of January 2019 02:15:08 PM
Old 01-23-2019
Coding Style at UNIX.com forums

Hi,

as I mentioned in this thread(awk - function to return permutations of n items out of m), a helpful coding style may improve overall value and support for people who come here and want to learn things the participants from unix.com have to give.

Personally I'm more out of corner of structured programming. And maybe that's not that quite compatible with awk as you may see it or "Steve" had written it on his website: Steve's Awk Acadamy . So I think I myself am still in the learning phase of awk about the paradigm it uses and in the phase of letting go other paradigms useful for other environments.

As Scrutinizer wrote in the mentioned thread: "Sometimes he has only a couple of minutes" and thatswhy he tries to keep the balance between available time and a helpful solution. That's nothing I'm critizing. I appreciate everyones effort how big or small it may be and there is for me not one right way how to do it.

I just want to ask everyone if there are qualities in the coding snippets that ...
  • support easier learning expecially for users with less or no experience at all
  • can make unix.com an even better collection of easy understandable code snippets as a valuable knowledgebase
  • do not lure new users into bad programming methods
  • (other suggestions what can be achieved by good readable code?)

Specially for new users I think it maybe more difficult than one, who has 10+ years experience in this profession, may imagine. This does not mean all and everything has to be written in a "to be defined" style but just to acknowledge that this and that may improve it and if one has time and appreciates it, he does it that way.

In my view, these are:
  • use of mnenonic variable names(not done here)
  • tidy indentation and clean code formatting(always done here)
  • use colors to mark important code-spots(often done here)
  • attach explanations to the code(sometimes given directly, always given detailed when requested)

For me personally it's still helpful to have mnenonic variable names since I do not have the functions and parameter ordering in mind, even if I think I got it slowly now without reading the manual again.

About that "luring new users into bad programming" I mean that "global variable" thing. For small awk scripts even production it maybe best-practice to do so - I have not that bad opinion about that. "Hell that's only 20 lines of code! Why should I bother?" But if one's here and always reads the code and intuitively takes with him/her what he/she learned here, because he/she read it a thousand times? I assume every good programmer has a healthy view on that topic, especially the ones writing here.

And last I would say that the effort which is done by the longer contributing users here to produce clean code seems very high to me. So this is a proposal on an already high level of quality here.

Regards,
stomp

Last edited by stomp; 01-24-2019 at 04:43 AM..
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to stomp For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix coding tip required

Hi! Suppose I am at a location xyz:/abc1/abc2/abc3 Is it possible to move to another location xyz:/mnl1/mnl2/mnl3 by some coding within a script? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Unix] a dos style rename wont work

Hey guys i'm creating a dos style rename script, so if a user types say q14.* as the 1st param and b14.* as the 2nd and will rename all q14 files to b14 but keep the extensions, so i've developed nearly the full script "i think", if i use echo(echo "if $1 had been renamed it would now be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fblade1987
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Getting Started in UNIX - incorporating C coding

I'm just starting a 'serious' coding in UNIX, so what I need is to run a C code on UNIX, What do I have to install (app) prior to coding/running the code and how do I compile that code? can I write my c code in UNIX or I need to have a visual studio for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix coding for triggering informatica

Hi, I have very little knowledge with unix and pmcmd. I need help with a issue. I have to see whether a file has been dropped in a particular location/path. If the file dropped I have to check the last modified time, which should be greater than 8pmEST the prior day. If the file has been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redwolves
4 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Filenames with hyphens - UNIX style?

Hello everyone! Filenames with hyphens instead of everything else that can be as a space - is it particularly UNIX style of naming or a general practice? It kinda is so in my mind that DOS guys use underscores as spaces and UNIX guys use dashes. Is it so? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest115
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script coding help?

Unix script coding help? i am trying to write a code that will display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking users choice ask user for two numbers and perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX script coding HW question

i am trying to write a script code in unix that will: 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
5 Replies

9. Programming

Coding Style checking

Is there any opensource tool which can check the coding style use in C/C++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
3 Replies