Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk: Performing "for" loop within text block with two files Post 303029152 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 22nd of January 2019 02:03:20 PM
Old 01-22-2019
The suggestions MadeInGermany provided you will work for your stated requirements.

But, when I look at you examples it seems that your requirements might be more stringent that what you have stated. If we look at your sample File 1:
Code:
PS001,001 HLK
PS002,004 MWQ
PS004,002 RXM
PS004,006 DBX
PS004,006 SBR
PS005,007 ML
PS005,009 DBR
PS005,011 MR
PS005,012 SBR
PS006,003 RXM
PS006,003 >SJ
PS006,010 QBL

and the output you say you are trying to produce:
Code:
PS001,001 [D-<Re>] [B->WRX> D-<WL> <Co>] [L> <Ng>] [HLK <Pr>]
 Lexeme     D      # B >WRX D <WL        # L>      # HLK      #
 PhraseType  6(6) 5(5,2.3,5,2.3) 11(11) 1(1:2)
 PhraseLab  519[0]   504[0]                510[0]    501[0]
 ClauseType xQt0 

PS002,004 [W-<Cj>] [MRJ> <Su>] [NMJQ <Pr>] [B-HWN <Co>]
 Lexeme     W      # MRJ>      # MWQ       # B HWN=     #
 PhraseType  6(6) 3(3.2) 1(1:1) 5(5,7)
 PhraseLab  509[0]   502[0]      501[0]      504[0]
 ClauseType WXYq

PS005,012 [D-<Re>] [MSBRJN <PC>] [B-K <Co>]
 Lexeme     D      # SBR         # B K      #
 PhraseType  6(6) 1(1:6.2) 5(5,7)
 PhraseLab  519[0]   521[0]        504[0]
 ClauseType Ptcp

I note that each of the selected output line groups does not just have a line 1 $1 value that is in your A[] array and a word in a line that starts with Lexeme that is in your B[] array; it has a matched pair where the word matched in the Lexeme line had to be from a line in File 1 that had a $1 value that matched $1 in that 1st line.

The requirements you stated do not require that both of those values found in a group of lines in File 2 come from a single line in File 1. But, in each of your sample output groups of lines, both values came from the same line in File 1.

Am I reading too much into your example? Or are your requirements more stringent than what you stated.

If you do want the more stringent requirements (and I am correct in assuming that the $1 value from File 1 is supposed to appear only as $1 in the first line of a group of lines in File 2 and the $2 from that same line in File 1 is required to appear in a line of a group of lines in File 2 starting with Lexeme, then you might want something more like:
Code:
awk '
NR == FNR {
	Keys[$1, $2]
	next
}
function PrintGroup() {
	if(PrintThisGroup) {
		if(GroupsPrinted++)
			print ""
		printf("%s",  Group)
	}
	Group = KeyField1 = ""
	LinesInGroup = PrintThisGroup = 0
}
NF == 0 {
	PrintGroup()
	next
}
++LinesInGroup == 1 && /<Co>/ {
	KeyField1 = $1
}
{	Group = Group $0 "\n"
}
$1 == "Lexeme" {
	for(i = 2; i <= NF; i++)
		if((KeyField1, $i) in Keys) {
			PrintThisGroup = 1
			next
		}
}
END {	PrintGroup()
}' "File 1" "File 2"

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing "END" before a new loop in AWK

First off, I have been learning AWK by trial and error over the last week or so, and there are some gaps in my basic understanding of the language. Here is my situation: I am coding and outputting results from an experiment I conducted in Psyscope, which has all been compiled into a master file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get values from 2 files - Complex "for loop and if" awk problem

Hi everyone, I've been thinking and trying/changing all day long the below code, maybe some awk expert could help me to fix the for loop I've thought, I think I'm very close to the correct output. file1 is: <boxes content="Grapes and Apples"> <box No.="Box MT. 53"> <quantity... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop Field editing - without using "awk"

Hi, I'm using Linux and bash shell. I have a file (F1.txt) with contents like Table1 Column1 123abc Table1 Column2 xyz Table2 Column1 543 Now, I would like to get the output as UPDATE Table1 SET Column1='123abc'; UPDATE Table1 SET Column2='xyz'; UPDATE Table2 SET Column1='543';... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using "for" loop within "awk"

Hi Team. I am trying to execute a simple for loop within an awk but its giving a different result. Below is the main code: awk '{for(i=1;i<=6;i++) print $i}'The result should be 1 2 3 4 5 6 but its not giving this result. Can someone please help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
3 Replies