Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to add text to each line of matching id Post 303029014 by cmccabe on Saturday 19th of January 2019 04:24:46 PM
Old 01-19-2019
Quote:
Are the ranges given in your first input file always in increasing numerical order for each $1,$4 set of values (as in your sample file f1)? If they are we can use that information to make your code run faster.
Yes, these should always be sorted like in f1

Quote:
Is the fifth subfield of $4 in your second input file always identical to the $1 value on the same input line (as in your sample files)? If they are, we can use that information to make your code run faster.
Yes, this will always be the case if $4 is found as in f1

Quote:
You note that your input files fields are separated by tabs. Do you want the output file to be tab delimited too; or do you want the output to be delimited by spaces as shown in your sample output?
f1 will always be tab-delimited except for a whitespace after $3 and $4, but the output would be tab-delimited I did and OFS="\t" but I think the whitespaces are making that not work

You are correct in that I meant to be looking for inclusive endpoints so the >=/<= is what I should have used.

Quote:
Is it your intent to print the line containing exon if either endpoint is in an entry in the first input file for that $1,$4 pair, or should it only print the exon line if both endpoints are in range?
I used the || statement to make sure the script works as expected but it could be && as both coordinates should lie within the endpoints (trying to think of a situation where its not the case and not coming up with anything).

Thank you very much Smilie.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete line with matching text and line immediately after

hello experts, I have a file: File1 Sample Test1 This is a Test Sample Test2 Another Test Final Test3 A final Test I can use sed to delete the line with specific text ie: sed '/Test2/d' File1.txt > File2.txt How can I delete the line with the matching text and the line immediately... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using command line arguments as columns for pattern matching using awk

Hi, I wish to use a column, as inputted by a user from command line, for pattern matching. awk file: { if($1 ~ /^8/) { print $0> "temp2.csv" } } something like this, but i want '$1' to be any column as selected by the user from command line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: invinclible0009
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK : Add Fields of lines with matching field

Dear All, I would like to add values of a field, if the lines match in a certain field. Then I would like to divide the sum though the number of lines that have a matched field. This is the Input: Input: Test1 5 Test1 10 Test2 2 Test2 5 Test2 13 Test3 4 Output: Test1 7.5 Test1 7.5... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and printing line with awk

Hi there, I'm trying to use awk to print out the entire line that contains a match to a certain regex and then append some text,plus the match to the end of the line. So far I have: awk -F: '{print "RG:Z:" $2}' file Which prints out the match I want plus the additional text, but I'm stuck... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim_lad
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to copy previous line matching a particular columns

Hello Help, 2356798 7689867 999 000 123678 20385907 9797 666 17978975 87468976 968978 98798 I am trying to have out put which actually look for the third column value of 9797 and then it insert line there after with first, second column value exactly as the previous line and replace the third... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add text to matching pattern in field

In the awk I am trying to add :p.=? to the end of each $9 that matches the pattern NM_. The below executes andis close but I can not seem to figure out why the :p.=? repeats in the split as in the green in the current output. I have added comments as well. Thank you :). file ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD