Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text? Post 303028902 by bakunin on Thursday 17th of January 2019 06:27:16 PM
Old 01-17-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ice
use 'cat -n'
Standard (POSIX) cat doesn't have any -n switch. This is because it is for conCATenating files. It is neither a display vehicle, nor a make-a-datastream-out-of-my-file-utility, fullscreen editor or anything else than a file concatenating tool.

Rob Pike and Brian Kernighan wrote a paper together ("cat -v considered harmful", Usenix conference 1983 if memory serves correctly) which later was the basis for the book "Programming in the UNIX environment" by the same authors. It should be a set book for every beginner in the UNIX world.

Here is a standard-conforming way of numbering lines, using sed. Interestingly enough i noticed that all three invocations of sed are necessary, it won't work with two:

Code:
echo 'a,b,c,d' | sed ':start;/,/ {h;s/,.*//p;g;s/^[^,]*,//;b start;}' | sed = | sed 'N;s/\n/   /'

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent! need help! how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma (,) delimited file, in which few fields are enclosed with in double quotes " ". I have to print the records in the file which donot have expected number of field with the line number. File1 ==== name,desgnation,doj,project #header#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a line of text to a comma delimited string?

Hi, Is there a one-liner that I can use to change a line of text into a comma delimited string? For example, convert user1 user2 user3 user4to user1,user2,user3,user4Currently using while read x, although got the extra comma at the end that I have to remove manually. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux convert Comma delimited file to pipe

I have file in linux with comma delimited and string fields in double quotations ", I need to convert them to pipe delimiter please share your inputs. Example: Input: "2017-09-30","ACBD,TVF","01234",NULL,18,NULL,"686091802","BANK OF ABCD, LIMITED, THE",790456 Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shieksir
4 Replies
CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)

NAME
chronicle-spooler - Automatically post pre-written entries. SYNOPSIS
Path Options: --config Specify a configuration file to read. --spool-dir Specify where pending entries are located. --live-dir Specify where the entries should be moved to. Post-Spool Commands: --post-move Specify a command to execute once entries have been moved. Optional Features: --test Only report on what would be executed. Help Options: --help Show the help information for this script. --manual Read the manual for this script. ABOUT
chronicle-spooler is a companion scrip to the chronicle blog compiler. It is designed to facilitate posting new entries automatically upon particular dates. (ie. If you have ten written blog entries in a spool directory it will move them into place upon the date you've specified.) DATE SPECIFICATION
To specify the date a particular entry should be made live you must add another pseudo-header to your blog entry files, as follows: Title: This is the title of the blog post Date: 2nd March 2007 Publish: 15th April 2008 Tags: one, two, three, long tag The text of your entry goes here. In this example we know that this entry will be made live upon the 15th April 2008, and not before. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2008-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-03 CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)