Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris EFI disk labeling / understand the parition table / sectors not continue Post 303028881 by javanoob on Thursday 17th of January 2019 09:43:24 AM
Old 01-17-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
q1: There are 34 sectors of 512 bytes, but, assuming 4096 bytes actual sectors, that makes 34 * 512 / 4096 = 4.25 sectors (of 4096 bytes each).

q2: Yes I did.
Hi jlliagre,
Thanks for the confirmation. I am sorry to ask, i got a 6.4 SSD but just appear to be 5.82TB usable.

Using auto-configure, the partition table look as below.
From 0 to 12502430343 in partition 0, the amount of sectors 12502430344 seems to be more then the total available sectors 12502430317

Still got no idea where did i lost my 800GB of space...

Code:
partition> p
Current partition table (original):
Total disk sectors available: 12502430317 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector           Size           Last Sector
  0        usr    wm                40          5.82TB            12502430343
  1 unassigned    wm                 0             0                 0
  2 unassigned    wm                 0             0                 0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0             0                 0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0             0                 0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0             0                 0
  6 unassigned    wm                 0             0                 0
  8   reserved    wm       12502430351          8.00MB            12502446734

Regards,
Noob

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Automatic disk labeling

First post :) ... Here is a script for automatic labeling of previously unlabeled disks. Other methods exist (format -f cmd_file), but I like this because it's all in one place. #!/bin/ksh #---------------------- # format_label # Automatic labeling of previously unlabeled disks #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwachtler
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SCSI disk spare sectors

Is there a way to determine the number of available spare sectors on a disk ? as it may be useful for notifying a user to take a backup of the disk before it runs into a medium error. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rednex
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - understand process status and continue the code execution

Hello, I need advice on how to check if started processes are finished in perl, here's explanation : OS is RHEL 4, perl -v = "This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi" The logic of the script : #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; $param1 = $ARGV; $param2 = $ARGV; $param3 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysgate
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Smartmontools and fixing Unreadable Disk Sectors

I found a document: Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools My hard drive is Maxtor: root]# fdisk -lu /dev/hda Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders, total 160086528 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x3f4e3f4d ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinian
0 Replies

5. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

read sectors from disk failed with timeout

i'm writing some code to simulate the boot progress after power on but when i try to read the 2nd sector from a floppy disk, this operation always fail with ah=0x80h which means timeout, how can i get over this problem? my code would be like this: $ cat boot.S .code16 #define SETUPLEN 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wljackhero
0 Replies

7. Linux

i'm writing some code to simulate the boot progress after power on but when i try to read the 2nd sector from a floppy disk, this operation always fail with ah=0x80h which means timeout, how can i get over this problem? my code would be like this: $ cat boot.S .code16 #define SETUPLEN 4... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

0 Replies
NEWFS_EXFAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    NEWFS_EXFAT(8)

NAME
newfs_exfat -- construct a new ExFAT file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_exfat [-N] [-R] [-I volume-serial-number] [-S bytes-per-sector] [-a sectors-per-FAT] [-b bytes-per-cluster] [-c sectors-per-cluster] [-n number-of-FATs] [-s total-sectors] [-v volume-name] special DESCRIPTION
The newfs_exfat utility creates an ExFAT file system on device special. If the -R option is not given, and the device is already formatted as ExFAT, it will preserve the partition offset, bytes per cluster, FAT offset and size, number of FATs, offset to start of clusters, number of clusters, volume serial number, and volume name (label). If a volume name was specified via the -v option, that name is used instead of the volume's previous name. The options are as follow: -N Don't create a file system: just print out parameters. -R Do not check whether the device is currently formatted as ExFAT. Always derive the partition offset, bytes per cluster, FAT offset and size, and offset to start of clusters based on the device type and size. -I volume-serial-number Volume ID, a 32-bit integer. -S bytes-per-sector Number of bytes per sector. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 512 through 4096. -a sectors-per-FAT Number of sectors per FAT. -b bytes-per-cluster File system block size (bytes per cluster). Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 512 through 33554432. -c sectors-per-cluster Sectors per cluster. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 1 through 65536. -n number-of-FATs Number of FATs. Acceptable values are 1 or 2. The default is 1. Using any value other than 1 is discouraged, and may be incompati- ble with other devices. -s total-sectors The total number of sectors in the device. -v volume-name Volume name (label). The name will be converted to UTF-16, and must be no longer than 11 UTF-16 characters. ASCII control charac- ters and some punctuation characters are not allowed (similar to DOS 8.3-style names). NOTE: The volume name may be an empty (zero- length) string. EXAMPLES
newfs_exfat /dev/disk0s1 Create a file system, using default parameters (or existing ExFAT layout), on /dev/rdisk0s1. newfs_exfat -v Hello disk2s1 Create a file system with the name "Hello" on /dev/rdisk2s1. SEE ALSO
mount_exfat(8), fsck_exfat(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 on error. HISTORY
The newfs_exfat command appeared in Mac OS X 10.6.3. Darwin January 19, 2010 Darwin