Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ssh freezes when run using different user ID Post 303028871 by Neo on Wednesday 16th of January 2019 10:04:40 PM
Old 01-16-2019
It is simply amazing to me why people love to build complicated, buggy, difficult to mantain, insecure solutions to problems which can be solved with simple, easy to maintain, more secure solutions.

Why?
  • Job security?
  • Having fun learning on the job getting paid by others?
I can assure you that if these guys were the owners of this IT and they were not getting paid to implement these overtly complex, buggy, hard to maintain, insecure solutions they would NOT do it.

Honestly, I keep seeing this more and more, especially from "certain countries" where the guys just seem to want to implement these overly complex, buggy, hard to maintain, and less secure solutions when, if they would just listen to us (people with many, many decades of coding and day to day sys admin experience, who likes simple, secure, easy to maintain, not buggy solutions), then their IT life would be a lot easier (and the questions here would be more practical).

I repeat....

Do not user sshpass. Use shared public-keys without passwords. It is more secure, less complex, easier to maintain and less buggy. I know. I do this every day on real systems!

Keep it simple!
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

making ssh run without password

Hello Everybody, Could anyone please tell me how to get ssh to work without asking for passwords? (i want to do a ssh <hostname> without getting a request for a password but getting connected straight away) I have attempted the following but to no avail :( ... I tried to generate a SSH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkap
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command in different machine using SSH

how to run a command in different machie in my case script will runs in solaries machine.. in one instance it has to run a command in different machine with different operating system ( linux ) using SSH command i tried ssh -l (login_name) (machine name/host ) " command " but it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a set of commands through ssh

I need to run a set of commands on a remote machine using ssh. it should also collect output and return status of each command. Can someone help me how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickylife
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user> to user@host> ssh prompt

Hi, I was wondering how to change the prompt for my ssh login. At the moment it is like user> while I'd like it to be as user@host> It is in the .bash_profile or .ssh ??? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmasterkim
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Run command on sc via ssh

when i run a command on ALOM via ssh i get following error ssh root@10.23.12.51 showhosts Password: Waiting for daemons to initialize... Daemons ready shell: Invalid credentials how can i run commands without actually loging to the sc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

6. AIX

passwordless entry using ssh from one user to a different user on the same server

Hi, We have a requirement to do passwordless entry from one user to a different user on the same AIX server using ssh keys. Can some one help me with this? Thanks in advance, Panditt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deshaipet
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh run script error

Hello when try to excute the following ssh -l pla 10.287.60.55 vis_fil vis_fil not found. but it works fine when login to the server. can you help me run this command in one online because i will add later to shell script regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mogabr
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to hide shell terminal and run prompt program after ssh login for specified user

Hey guys, I have some task from my office to lock user on the specified directory after the user logged on using ssh. And then run prompt program to fill the required information. Yeah, just like an ATM system. My question: How could I do those?? AFAIK I have to edit the ~./bashrc. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to run application using ssh

I'm testing a C++ based application (HLR) in my solaris system. Whenever i start the application remotely from some other solaris server using ssh command the application throws an error and goes down. command i used: ssh root@192.168.151.77 "./start_hlr.sh" Below is the error observed : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to run command after ssh

Hello, I am trying to create a ksh script to login to server and collect gather output of some command to troubleshoot some issue. DATE=`date +%b.%d.%Y.%M.%H` echo " Enter emp id to login to server" read Eid Eid=$Eid echo " Enter hostname of the system" read HOST HOST=$HOST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies
moon-buggy(6)							   Games Manual 						     moon-buggy(6)

NAME
moon-buggy - drive some car across the moon SYNOPSIS
moon-buggy [-hnsV] [--help] [--no-title] [--show-scores] [--version] DESCRIPTION
Moon-buggy is a simple character graphics game, where you drive some kind of car across the moon's surface. Unfortunately there are dan- gerous craters there. Fortunately your car can jump over them! OPTIONS
The program understands the following command line options. -h, --help shows a short usage message. -m, --mesg disable write access to your terminal by other users, so your boss can't disturb your game play with the help of "write" or "fin- ger". -n, --no-title skips the title screen. -s, --show-scores shows the current highscore list and exits. -V, --version prints the program's version to standard output and exits. KEYS
The moon-buggy is controlled by a couple of keys, which are described near the bottom of the screen. Most important are the following keys. SPC, j makes your car jump. The length of a jump is fixed and you can only start a new jump, while the wheels have contact to the ground. a, l fires the mining laser. The laser is used to remove stones, which may block your way. q quits the game prematurely. But you still keep your score and may enter the highscore list. FILES
The following files on your system are related to moon-buggy. /usr/games/moon-buggy the moon-buggy executable. /var/games/moon-buggy/mbscore the global score file $HOME/.mbscore the local score file. This is used, if moon-buggy has no write access to the global score file. SEE ALSO
Moon-buggy Usage and Maintenance by Jochen Voss. COPYING
Copyright (C) 2004 Jochen Voss Moon-buggy is free software. Read the file COPYING of the source code distribution for details or press 'c' at moon-buggy's title screen. AUTHOR
The program moon-buggy was implemented by Jochen Voss (voss@seehuhn.de). moon-buggy 1.0.51+esd Dec 27 2004 moon-buggy(6)