Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text? Post 303028870 by Just Ice on Wednesday 16th of January 2019 09:59:36 PM
Old 01-16-2019
use 'cat -n' on the tailing pipe if you want to avoid funky awk ...
Code:
[book@room ~]$ echo 'a,b,c,d' | tr ',' '\n' | cat -n
     1  a
     2  b
     3  c
     4  d
[book@room ~]$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent! need help! how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma (,) delimited file, in which few fields are enclosed with in double quotes " ". I have to print the records in the file which donot have expected number of field with the line number. File1 ==== name,desgnation,doj,project #header#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a line of text to a comma delimited string?

Hi, Is there a one-liner that I can use to change a line of text into a comma delimited string? For example, convert user1 user2 user3 user4to user1,user2,user3,user4Currently using while read x, although got the extra comma at the end that I have to remove manually. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux convert Comma delimited file to pipe

I have file in linux with comma delimited and string fields in double quotations ", I need to convert them to pipe delimiter please share your inputs. Example: Input: "2017-09-30","ACBD,TVF","01234",NULL,18,NULL,"686091802","BANK OF ABCD, LIMITED, THE",790456 Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shieksir
4 Replies
DERIVATIONS(7)						Derivations of Applied Mathematics					    DERIVATIONS(7)

NAME
derivations - book: Derivations of Applied Mathematics DESCRIPTION
Understandably, program sources rarely derive the mathematical formulas they use. Not wishing to take the formulas on faith, a user might nevertheless reasonably wish to see such formulas somewhere derived. Derivations of Applied Mathematics is a book which documents and derives many of the mathematical formulas and methods implemented in free software or used in science and engineering generally. It documents and derives the Taylor series (used to calculate trigonometrics), the Newton-Raphson method (used to calculate square roots), the Pythagorean theorem (used to calculate distances) and many others. READING THE BOOK
Among other ways, you can read the book on your computer screen by opening the file /usr/share/doc/derivations/derivations.ps.gz with the gv(1) program under X(7). To print the book on a standard postscript printer, just zcat(1) then lpr(1) the same file. FILES
/usr/share/doc/derivations/derivations.ps.gz the book in postscript format /usr/share/doc/derivations/derivations.pdf.gz the book in PDF BUGS
The book is a work in progress. AUTHOR
The book and this manpage are written by Thaddeus H. Black, who also maintains the Debian package derivations in which they are distrib- uted. Users who need to contact the author in his role as Debian package maintainer can reach him at <thb@debian.org>. However, most e- mail will naturally be about the book itself: this should be sent to <thb@derivations.org>. COPYLEFT
Copyright (C) 1983-2010 Thaddeus H. Black. The book, this manpage and the entire derivations distribution are free software. You can redistribute them and/or modify them under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2. SEE ALSO
gv(1) [gv], zcat(1) [gzip], psselect(1) [psutils], lpr(1) [lpr], octave(1) [octave] Thaddeus H. Black 10 March 2010 DERIVATIONS(7)