Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace substring from a string variable Post 303028817 by mohtashims on Tuesday 15th of January 2019 01:58:20 PM
Old 01-15-2019
Replace substring from a string variable

Hi,

Wish to remove "DR-" from the string variable (var).

Code:
 var="DR-SERVER1"
 var=`echo $var | sed -e 's/DR-//g'`
 echo "$var"

Expected Output:
Quote:
SERVER1
However, I get the below error:

Quote:
line 11: [[: -: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "-")
Can you please suggest.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file w/ a variable value

I am trying to replace the default home page for several mac user accounts, I wrote a script that will hunt the files down and replace them with a pre-configured set. The problem I am having is that the download destination path for the browser is hard coded into a .plist (text config file) file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable length numeric string

I have a customer who logged some cc and bank account numbers in their apache logs. I got the cc numbers x'd out with sed -e 's/args=\{16\}/args=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g' -e 's/cardnum=\{16\}/cardnum=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g'but that wasn't too difficult due to the value being 16 digits. The bank account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk4mzid
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

4. AIX

Replace string with asterisk(*) in variable

I was trying to replace a string ( for eg - @@asterisk@@ to * ) in variable using cat $INFILE | while read LINE do stmt1=`echo $LINE | sed 's/@@asterisk@@/\*/g'` stmt=$stmt' '$stmt1 stmt2=`echo $LINE` STATEMENT=$STATEMENT' '$stmt2 done echo 'Statement with sed -- > '... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in file with a variable value

Hi Fellows, I am new to shell, please help we me out in this.. i have file which some lines like this.. $$param1='12-jan-2011' $$param2='14-jan-2011' $$param3='30-jan-2011' . . .....so on.. I want to change $$param3 to '31-dec-2011'. i have variable which is storing(30-jan-2011 this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victor369
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get substring from string variable

Hi Dears, How to use variable in string location of expression ${string:index:length} to get substring from string? I encounter error "bad substitution" when I use expression ${$var:0:5} to get first 5 characters from $var. Could you please help me out of this? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace variable string with text

Hi All, Hoping someone can help.... I am trying to work out how I can ammend a log file to remove variable strings in order to remove confidential information which I cant pass on. As an example I have used phone numbers. A large log file contains multiple lines containing something like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace string in variable?

Hello, I have simple while and for loops in a shell script and I would like to replace some characters in COL2 when I run it. I am on ubuntu 14.04 while read COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 do name=$COL2 #cat $name | sed -i "s|_| |g" $name for i in $COL3 $COL4 do some codes ...... run $i b="$name"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace substring by longest string in common field (awk)

Hi, Let's say I have a pipe-separated input like so: name_10|A|BCCC|cat_1 name_11|B|DE|cat_2 name_10|A|BC|cat_3 name_11|B|DEEEEEE|cat_4 Using awk, for records with common field 2, I am trying to replace all the shortest substrings by the longest string in field 3. In order to get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
lreplace(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       lreplace(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lreplace - Replace elements in a list with new elements SYNOPSIS
lreplace list first last ?element element ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
lreplace returns a new list formed by replacing one or more elements of list with the element arguments. first and last are index values | specifying the first and last elements of the range to replace. The index values first and last are interpreted the same as index values | for the command string index, supporting simple index arithmetic and indices relative to the end of the list. 0 refers to the first ele- | ment of the list, and end refers to the last element of the list. If list is empty, then first and last are ignored. If first is less than zero, it is considered to refer to before the first element of the list. For non-empty lists, the element indicated by first must exist or first must indicate before the start of the list. If last is less than first, then any specified elements will be inserted into the list at the point specified by first with no elements being deleted. The element arguments specify zero or more new arguments to be added to the list in place of those that were deleted. Each element argu- ment will become a separate element of the list. If no element arguments are specified, then the elements between first and last are sim- ply deleted. If list is empty, any element arguments are added to the end of the list. EXAMPLES
Replacing an element of a list with another: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 1 foo a foo c d e Replacing two elements of a list with three: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 2 three more elements a three more elements d e Deleting the last element from a list in a variable: % set var {a b c d e} a b c d e % set var [lreplace $var end end] a b c d A procedure to delete a given element from a list: proc lremove {listVariable value} { upvar 1 $listVariable var set idx [lsearch -exact $var $value] set var [lreplace $var $idx $idx] } SEE ALSO
list(n), lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), llength(n), lsearch(n), lset(n), lrange(n), lsort(n), string(n) | KEYWORDS
element, list, replace Tcl 7.4 lreplace(n)