Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Traverse through list of servers using ssh non-interactively. Post 303028814 by apmcd47 on Tuesday 15th of January 2019 12:05:02 PM
Old 01-15-2019
I know different systems may have different policies with respect to sudo-er lists, but would it be possible to check to see if you are in the sudo group on each system?
Code:
for h in $LIST_OF_HOSTS
do
printf "%s: %s\n" "${h}" "$(ssh ${uname}@{h} /usr/bin/groups)" 
done | grep sudo

This only works for systems that put users in the sudo, group and use the sudo group in the sudoers file, which will be the default, I imagine, but a decent, security-minded sysadmin may set up an alternative policy. Having said that, I once installed a SUSE (possibly openSUSE?) system where the user needed the root password to use sudo.

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using File Descriptors, traverse a list

I have written this code, and according to my research it SHOULD be going down the list until it is finished, but I am getting blank feedback. Nothing is being output as far as I can tell. #!/bin/sh while echo Enter to start traversing read enter do read list <&3 echo $list done any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

connecting servers using SSH - help needed

Hi all, I have a script written successfully and tuned by our members, now I am trying to execute this script from a taxi server. My aim is I want to connect to four servers via ssh where I want to ran a script or run some commands and write the output to a file in the Taxi server. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH into multiple linux servers

Hi All, Okay, I need help. I need to ssh in to multiple linux servers execute certain commands and get them to email and print on the screen when the script is being executed. So below is my script. Its not working :-(. #!/bin/bash #linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how to run top or glance non-interactively using ssh

Hello Am trying to run top /glance non-interactively using ssh from redhat to hp-ux hosts but getting following errors.. ======================= ssh msi 'top -n 1' Sorry, I need to know a more specific terminal type than "unknown". ssh msi top -d1 -n20 > /tmp/top.out Sorry, I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Cant SSH Solaris servers

Hi all. Im working in a telco Environment and recently setup a new server. The other servers are a combination of Solaris + Linux machines. Using my new server , I can ping all other servers ( solaris + redhat linux ) but the issue lies where I try to ssh. I can only successfully ssh linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to an array of servers in a for loop

There are 4 remote hosts that I have stored in an array. A ssh trust has been created from the local host to each of the remote hosts. I am trying to ssh to each of the servers in a for loop as shown below. declare -a host host}]="server1" host}]="server2" host}]="server3" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List of servers that are NOT authorized for password-less SSH

Hello friends, We have around 500 servers (HPUX, AIX and linux) and all of them need to be accessed from our management box (linux) via password-less ssh. Out of 500 around 150 servers are setup password-less. We need to setup password-less SSH for remaining servers. First we need to get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ssh not working to one server from any of the servers

Hello, I tried ssh in debug mode and below is the debug snippet.ssh to a host is not working from any of the hosts No credentials cache found debug1: Miscellaneous failure No credentials cache found debug1: Next authentication method: publickey debug1: Offering RSA public key:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

ssh multiple servers

Hi folks. I'm pretty new to unix, while I'm learning a lot I'm finding bash scripting quite confusing. Im sure it's not really, my head just hasn't clicked with it. Anyway, I need a script to loop the ip addresses stored in a file and run a "pgrep <process>" and return the pid or some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find active SSH servers w/ ssh keys on LAN

Hi, I am trying to complete my bash script in order to find which SSH servers on LAN are still active with the ssh keys, but i am frozen at this step: #!/bin/bash # LAN SSH KEYS DISCOVERY SCRIPT </etc/passwd \ grep /bin/bash | cut -d: -f6 | sudo xargs -i -- sh -c ' && cat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: syrius
11 Replies
VISUDO(8)						       MAINTENANCE COMMANDS							 VISUDO(8)

NAME
visudo - edit the sudoers file SYNOPSIS
visudo [-c] [-q] [-s] [-V] [-f sudoers] DESCRIPTION
visudo edits the sudoers file in a safe fashion, analogous to vipw(8). visudo locks the sudoers file against multiple simultaneous edits, provides basic sanity checks, and checks for parse errors. If the sudoers file is currently being edited you will receive a message to try again later. There is a hard-coded list of one or more editors that visudo will use set at compile-time that may be overridden via the editor sudoers Default variable. This list defaults to "/usr/bin/vi". Normally, visudo does not honor the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables unless they contain an editor in the aforementioned editors list. However, if visudo is configured with the --with-env-editor option or the env_editor Default variable is set in sudoers, visudo will use any the editor defines by VISUAL or EDITOR. Note that this can be a security hole since it allows the user to execute any program they wish simply by setting VISUAL or EDITOR. visudo parses the sudoers file after the edit and will not save the changes if there is a syntax error. Upon finding an error, visudo will print a message stating the line number(s) where the error occurred and the user will receive the "What now?" prompt. At this point the user may enter "e" to re-edit the sudoers file, "x" to exit without saving the changes, or "Q" to quit and save changes. The "Q" option should be used with extreme care because if visudo believes there to be a parse error, so will sudo and no one will be able to sudo again until the error is fixed. If "e" is typed to edit the sudoers file after a parse error has been detected, the cursor will be placed on the line where the error occurred (if the editor supports this feature). OPTIONS
visudo accepts the following command line options: -c Enable check-only mode. The existing sudoers file will be checked for syntax and a message will be printed to the standard output detailing the status of sudoers. If the syntax check completes successfully, visudo will exit with a value of 0. If a syntax error is encountered, visudo will exit with a value of 1. -f sudoers Specify and alternate sudoers file location. With this option visudo will edit (or check) the sudoers file of your choice, instead of the default, /etc/sudoers. The lock file used is the specified sudoers file with ".tmp" appended to it. -q Enable quiet mode. In this mode details about syntax errors are not printed. This option is only useful when combined with the -c option. -s Enable strict checking of the sudoers file. If an alias is used before it is defined, visudo will consider this a parse error. Note that it is not possible to differentiate between an alias and a host name or user name that consists solely of uppercase letters, digits, and the underscore ('_') character. -V The -V (version) option causes visudo to print its version number and exit. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables may be consulted depending on the value of the editor and env_editor sudoers variables: VISUAL Invoked by visudo as the editor to use EDITOR Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set FILES
/etc/sudoers List of who can run what /etc/sudoers.tmp Lock file for visudo DIAGNOSTICS
sudoers file busy, try again later. Someone else is currently editing the sudoers file. /etc/sudoers.tmp: Permission denied You didn't run visudo as root. Can't find you in the passwd database Your userid does not appear in the system passwd file. Warning: {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias referenced but not defined Either you are trying to use an undeclare {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias or you have a user or host name listed that consists solely of uppercase letters, digits, and the underscore ('_') character. In the latter case, you can ignore the warnings (sudo will not complain). In -s (strict) mode these are errors, not warnings. Warning: unused {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias The specified {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias was defined but never used. You may wish to comment out or remove the unused alias. In -s (strict) mode this is an error, not a warning. SEE ALSO
vi(1), sudoers(5), sudo(8), vipw(8) AUTHOR
Many people have worked on sudo over the years; this version of visudo was written by: Todd Miller See the HISTORY file in the sudo distribution or visit http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/history.html for more details. CAVEATS
There is no easy way to prevent a user from gaining a root shell if the editor used by visudo allows shell escapes. BUGS
If you feel you have found a bug in visudo, please submit a bug report at http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/bugs/ SUPPORT
Limited free support is available via the sudo-users mailing list, see http://www.sudo.ws/mailman/listinfo/sudo-users to subscribe or search the archives. DISCLAIMER
visudo is provided ``AS IS'' and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed. See the LICENSE file distributed with sudo or http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/license.html for complete details. 1.7.4 July 14, 2010 VISUDO(8)