Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Does anyone have a trick to run sdiff to display the filenames as a header? Post 303028798 by RudiC on Tuesday 15th of January 2019 08:49:10 AM
Old 01-15-2019
How about - if your shell offers "process substitution" -

Code:
sdiff <(echo file3; cat file3) <(echo file3~; cat file3~)
file3                                                         |  file3~
DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO2_ACTIVOS11/MoN-MVW.out:::   Tota    DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO2_ACTIVOS11/MoN-MVW.out:::   Tota
DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO2_ACTIVOS7/MoN-MVW.out:::    Tota    DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO2_ACTIVOS7/MoN-MVW.out:::    Tota
DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO2_ACTIVOS9/MoN-MVW.out:::    Tota    DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO2_ACTIVOS9/MoN-MVW.out:::    Tota
DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO4_ACTIVOS11/MoN-MVW.out:::   Tota    DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO4_ACTIVOS11/MoN-MVW.out:::   Tota
DISTANCIA1.45_SIMETRIA1_GIRO1_ACTIVOS11/MoN-MVW.out:::   Tota <

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sdiff ? problem

Hello, I'm using Sdiff to compare 2 files, I've used this before and it works fine and still does in some cases. But it seems to trip up when using combinations of alpha-numeric text. I created two simple files to test and as you can see it seems to trip up on the "gr55a" text, any ideas ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowpoke
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A more intelligent SDIFF

Hi all I have two files which are essentially the same. However the way an exponent is written is different (i.e. in 1 file, a particular number might be written as 1.43230000E+02 whereas in another it might be 1.4323E2). If I use SDIFF then the program will merely check the ASCII characters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
1 Replies

3. AIX

Can I display err log again after run errclear

After run errclear, it will clean the err log file. After that, if I still need display the log has been cleared by errclear, how can I do? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display just CPU run queue number (Nothing Else)

Im using the vmstat command to display the CPU run queue, but i want to put that into a program so is there a way to just display the number under the r? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAFC_99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sdiff without files

Hi, I'm trying to use sdiff by parsing the output of another command instead of the filename: sdiff <(echo test1) <(echo test2)However, this seems to cause my terminal session to stop working. If I use it with normal diff it works fine: ~$ diff <(echo test1) <(echo test2) 1c1 < test1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sdiff query

I wanted to ask can sdiff be used for comparing files which are present in different network?? If yes then how? Thanks in Advance!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display header in script output

Hi -- Working on my own through the book "Learning the KornShell and came to task 4-1, which there is: a script "highest" and it will sort an "album" file. highest filename The author mentions adding a header line to the scripts output if the user types in the -h option. It says "assume the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Decoy Octopus88
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sdiff command

Hi i am comparing file on 2 different machine with the help of script. however i am get below o/p ======= /usr/tmp ========= ======= /usr/tmp not a regular file i am not sure what does "not a regular file mean" . is it something serious, if yes then what i need to check or we can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display the header of a matched row in a file?

Hi, So I am trying to print the first row(header) first column alongwith the matched value. But I am not sure how do I print the same, by matching a pattern located in the file eg File contents Name Place Jim NY Jill NJ Cathy CA Sam TX Daniel FL And what I want is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sdiff

file1: USER:XACME\cn3937 User:XACME\z01220 User:XACME\z01404 User:XACME\z02102 User:XACME\U17234 File2: USER:XACME\lawson USER:XACME\cn7913 USER:XACME\cn8037 USER:XACME\cn8042 USER:XACME\cn8046 USER:XACME\u31645 USER:XACME\u19050 USER:XACME\U28715 USER:XACME\U17234 USER:XACME\cn3937... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loktamann
2 Replies
SDIFF(1)							     GNU Tools								  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - find differences between two files and merge interactively SYNOPSIS
sdiff -o outfile [options] from-file to-file DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command merges two files and interactively outputs the results to outfile. If from-file is a directory and to-file is not, sdiff compares the file in from-file whose file name is that of to-file, and vice versa. from-file and to-file may not both be directories. sdiff options begin with -, so normally from-file and to-file may not begin with -. However, -- as an argument by itself treats the remaining arguments as file names even if they begin with -. You may not use - as an input file. sdiff without -o (or --output) produces a side-by-side difference. This usage is obsolete; use diff --side-by-side instead. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU sdiff accepts. Each option has two equivalent names, one of which is a single letter preceded by -, and the other of which is a long name preceded by --. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be combined into a single command line argument. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -b Ignore changes in amount of white space. -B Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. -d Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -H Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. -i Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -I regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-all-space Ignore white space when comparing lines. --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. --ignore-case Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. --ignore-matching-lines=regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in amount of white space. -l --left-column Print only the left column of two common lines. --minimal Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -o file --output=file Put merged output into file. This option is required for merging. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not print common lines. --speed-large-files Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. -t Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of sdiff. -w columns --width=columns Use an output width of columns. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -W in diff, -w in sdiff. -W Ignore horizontal white space when comparing lines. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -w in diff, -W in sdiff. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), diff3(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means no differences were found, 1 means some differences were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 SDIFF(1)