Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File globbing order
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File globbing order Post 303028718 by poova on Sunday 13th of January 2019 09:37:34 PM
Old 01-13-2019
Thank you all. since I have the file in mm_dd_yyyy format last year december month number 12 is greater than this year january month 01. Thanks for the information about collation sequence order.
This User Gave Thanks to poova For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / bash globbing question

I would like to process a list of files matching: GPS*\.xyz with an awk script. I would then like to output the files to GPS*\.xyz.out (e.g. the same file name appended with .out). Something like: awk '{if(NR==1) {offset=-$1}; $1=$1+offset; print }' GPS*.xyz this does exactly what I want EXCEPT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franzke
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing slash Wildcarding Question

I am on HP-UX and I am trying to come up with a method to call in a list of files named like so. filename020107.dat filename020207.dat filename020307.dat Obviously I can list them ls them like so, ls filename*.dat. In case you did not notice the number is a date and I was hoping to match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script

How can I pass in an argument such as "*.k" to a bash script without having to double-quote *.k and not having *.k `glob` to match all files in the pattern? I tried using noglob in my script but this didn't work the way I thought it would.. expansion is still occuring, $# is higher than I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a file in reverse order of another file

Hi, I have a requirement where i need to write a script to create the new file from the given input file with the data in reverse order (bottom to top) Sample data: Input File-------------- Java VB Oracle Teradata Informatica Output file:----------------- Informatica Teradata Oracle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order file by lines

My script(3 arguments $1 = folder,$2 extension,$3 string) should do the following things: -Enter in the folder of $1(if exists). -Put ls *.$2 > temp.txt ( I use a temp file to store the result of ls command and if $2 = txt in this file I'll have all the .txt files of the folder) -Now I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max89
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Write to a file in a specified order

This is my input file : FCBAFE572C5E4BA29B3F8030BD480A94,907 ,1/1/2003,12/31/2005,ACT,1,2010-05-07 04:42:26.380000 2345AD5D2BFB29C821C1BC3DE8B746A7,907 ,1/1/2004,1/31/2005,ACT,1,2010-05-07 04:42:26.380000 E45B7371EEC0D1AB00E1750B5BC661F7,907 ,1/1/2004,12/31/2006,ACT,1,2010-05-07... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpsridhar
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing or not globbing

Hi guys, Here is a simple script. It writes the current time to specific files in a directory. The arguments are the names of the files to write the date to (without path nor extension). root:~# cat /usr/local/bin/dummy.sh #!/bin/sh -e for file in $@; do date >> /var/lib/$file.dat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File globbing questions

hi guys, jus some file globbing questions sed "s/^.*on//" what does the full stop and asterisk means? i onli know that ^ means inverse or not (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ment0smintz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negation in Bash Globbing

$ ls -1 a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 * b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 ** a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1The last result is not as expected. Why? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulation row order in file

Hello, I am trying to replace the position of each row by the next row. OS: Ubuntu 18.04, bionic I'd appreciate your help. input_file: -O fileA wget http://x.y.z./a -O fileB wget http://a.b.c./d -O fileC wget http://q.f.s/t .. .. .. -O fileZZ wget http://r.t.y/u I expect: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)